Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shaolin forms help

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone here knows any good websites with pictures how to do shaolin forms? Or any better any good books in english describing in words or pictures to to do some shaolin forms. Hehe, know there are some on this website, but i want more =) especially with pictures!

Who am i? Im a beginner at the one year old shaolin kung fu school (yep theres 2 real shaolin schools in sweden now) www.shaolin-chanwu.com . Visiting us for 10 weeks right now is the shaolin temple head tutor Shi Yong Ting or Hei Ting as he is also known.

Best regards from sweden // Sunbird

There are slideshows of some traditional forms, which demonstrate them step by step, in the File Library, of this very forum. Make sure that you have QuickTime 6. And, a fast internet connection, though, with the way we did it, it should work on a 56 k modem.

There are videos of Shaolin forms, by monks, disciples, and students, also on this forum, in the File Library. You'll need a fast internet connection to view them, and, of course, QuickTime 6 (which you can get at www.apple.com).

I know of no other site that has these (other than the ones that I've released onto the net). Getting video of monk performances of traditional forms is damn near impossible. I have more coming, about seven hours of video that we have to produce and edit and prepare for streaming, but, it will be done over the next month or two, and won't be put online until I get back from China. (I'll have even more video then, lol)

As for books, the only one in English worth while is the Tagou book, but it is very hard to follow if you do not already know the forms.

There are some commercial video sets out there, some by Shi Guolin, and some by Shi De Cheng. Both are very good. You have to spend money to get them though.

Remember, you can't learn this stuff from watching videos. But, you can get an idea of what's involved by looking at them.

doc
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Thanks for your reply!

No i wasn´t really hoping to learn forms from this stuff, only to get a little help or inspiration with those that im learning at my club =).

Comment

doc questions

First of all when i try to view the movies of shaolin forms it says 404 not found (i have the newest quicktime installed), no access, no files?

Why dont you make so users can download the movies instead of watching them in their browsers?

If you search on kazaa och can find some of the movies but in .mpg format, did you spread them in that format? Or where did they get them?

Comment

I've been working on the server. A few days ago, the video library was down. But, it all seems to be working now. If you've got a specific one that is giving you a 404 error, let me know which one it is. And if you're behind a firewall, make sure that you follow the directions in the Tech Support part of this forum.

The initial mpg's were downloadable on my site. As you can see, they ended up everywhere, including on some commercial sites. I now stream them, so that they largely remain here. No sense having people make money from all of my work.

I'm going to be reworking these a bit soon, so that people with slower, 56k, connections can view them. It will also take the choppiness out of them, if you don't have broadband connection. And, there's more video being worked on right now. About seven hours worth.

That's not including what I'm going to shoot on this upcoming trip.... LOL

doc
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Working...
          X