Styles taught at different schools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Styles taught at different schools?

Do all schools concentrate on Sanshou or do they differ?
    Does your school spend more time on the older forms, or more time developing the newer aspects?

Amitofu

Most Shaolin schools that I've visited in China seem to present the same material, usually in the same way. There is an emphasis on the basics, stretching, the kicks, the jibengong, and some traditional forms. Unfortunately, the teaching of modern competitive wushu, with the basics emphasizing that, is pushing more of the traditional forms out of the curriculum. As wushu develops (and remember, it develops out of traditional stuff), more modern wushu forms are "derived" and "thought up", and eventually taught to the students. The time spent on traditional forms is diminished. Most schools generally teach the same thing. Sanda is also taught at these schools.

As for the monk schools out of China, I guess the emphasis would depend on which monk it is, and what specialty he prefers. I know that when I train with Shi De Cheng, all emphasis is on traditional; we don't waste my time with modern wushu. I have no interest in it, nor do I have the flexibility or ability to do it well. But generally, I would presume that all schools, with monks that have actually trained for a few years at Shaolin, teach the jibengong, as I've described it somewhere in the site, and also teach some traditional forms. Some of the monks out there might spend more time with modern wushu forms than traditional, because of their experience. The newer monks coming out of Shaolin also would probably be more "modern wushu" oriented.

At our school in Las Vegas, we teach it as Shi De Cheng is teaching me (and as his master, Shi Su Yuan taught him, and as Shi Su Yuan's master, Shi Zheng Shu, taught him; Decheng is a stickler for traditional forms). Basics, jibengong, and traditional forms. We haven't gotten into teaching sanda yet.

doc
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

thanks doc,

seems like no-one else wants to answer.
      All the best for your temple being up and running and I may come out to see you some time.
      I also have the age thing against me

I would like to meet Shi De Cheng one day, so who knows?

Amitofu

Comment

hello

hello. i am new as you might expect but i have loved the martail arts for a while but know nothing. i guess that makes it hard for me to understand what you guys are saying. its true. but i came here because i play tribes and my fav. server to play is the bewbies nursry. and it had this site on it. i was suprised to see talk about the arts. not bad shock but good. but any ways i was wondering is there any schools in the north. like in minnesota? or if i new what was involved. i am really looking for info. but ok see you guys later. any help would be greatfull. and by the way my handle on that tribes two server is mocka. it is mainly the only server i play on. have a nice day you all.

Comment

Newbie's Nursery is my Tribes server, it's running on one of the internet lines I've got going into my house (along with the connection that runs this server). And, god do I miss it, LOL. Hope you guys are having fun playing on it.

But I'll be back....
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

oops sorry for spelling. i seem to fail at the spelling. man that is by far the best server. some times it crashes and most of the time i am the first one in there. i would vote me admin and while i was the only one in there i would check out the different maps. and explore them to get the upper hand. i hope to see you in it. my name in tribes now is ^AoC^mocka. i am trying to get the tribe i am with to get shifter and to play on that server. come to think of it i think i am going to go play now.

Comment

You're gonna play now? And I"m in Thailand? Damn, you can't find an illegal copy of Tribes 2 anywhere in Patong (found everything else though, lol).

Oh, the pain....

russbo.com

Comment

im in

im in..ill try and find a good copy of tribes..

havent played that game in forever heh

peace
                "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

lol

i left a post in the last very last forum thread thing on the main forum page. hey have you ever thought about making a shifter tribe? if you have i want to join.

*a glint from the shadows can be seen in the corner of your eye. the only sounds you can hear is your slowing heart beat and something falling to the ground. the last thing you see is the glint from my sword.*

lol don't mind me. my head swims and my ideas are being attacked by sharks

Comment

No interest in forming a clan. I'm having fun just running the server, and playing with whomever joins. I don't have the time for regular practice and such. Between the school, the web site, travel, and god knows what else I get involved in, it's hard for me to keep schedules. That is, if I remember them...

See you in Tribes world soon. Gonna redo the Nursery server when I get back, to make it more efficient.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                    X