Shaolin Village is no more...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Village is no more...

Just this week, Henan government officials drove through the streets of Shaolin village (outside of the Shaolin gate, near the Tagou school), with loudspeakers and informed the people and the shopowners that they had to leave by the next day.

The village has been emptied, and it is slated for destruction soon.

This is the final remnant of what used to be referred as the "Shaolin village". It is only a step in the long process of China's desire to get the Shaolin Temple onto the UNESCO World Heritage Site list.

It may also be the final step in the process of fulfilling the Henan government's desire to make the Shaolin Temple Wushu Guan, the sole destination for foriegners who are wishing to train in Shaolin gong fu. All the Shaolin village schools have relocated either to Zengzhou or Dengfeng.

doc
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

It's quite saddening to hear that. I had never heard of Shaolin Village until several months ago when talking to my father's sifu, Onassis Parungao. He mentioned his experiences and what he learned in the Shaolin Village and I looked forward to seeing it myself someday. It is not this however which makes me sad, but the relocation of all those who were dedicated to the village. Oh well, there's nothing new or different about political oppression. The only thing new is the illusion that we in America can actually do something about it. And I do stress the word illusion.
    But keep your heads up all. Ideas are bulletproof.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Personally, to be totally honest, I think it's sort of a good thing. Though I've never been there, it strikes me that all these schools starting up near the temple are what started the whole controversy about "traditional vs. modern" wushu being taught there... and besides, I don't personally appreciate anybody cashing in on ancient cultural heritage other than its inheritors... but then, I'm not really the most politically aware guy, and I'm not clued inon all the situation around there, so this is just my own dumb, uneducated opinions... oh well.
      "Be Cool" - Lao Tzu

Comment

Half of the mighty Tagou school has been torn down, the remainder to be destroyed this week. The students ae being moved to the new Tagou school in Dengfeng.

The rest of the village, from what I've been told, is in shambles.

With the destruction of Tagou, comes the end of Shaolin Village.

Pictures are forthcoming.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

It pains my heart to know such events have transpired.

Comment

Working...
          X