China holiday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China holiday

Thinking of going to china on vacation this summer. Anybody able to suggest a good destination / stuff to do there / whether or not you'd recommend going at all? Bear in mind I'm not looking for a frugal, no-working-toilet, shitty holiday sorta thing, more of a cosy family-type trip. Any suggestions?
    "Be Cool" - Lao Tzu

check out the great wall of china the wu dan mountain shaolin temple and other stuff.
    lil monk

Comment

Any of the major cities should be able to accomodate stuff like that.
      practice wu de

Comment

If you're going on a family type holiday booked through a western travel company, you'll probably find you're given the option every day to go on day tours to various places with allocated Chinese guides - sounds worse than it is, lots of paperwork everywhere in China, so it's handy to have things sorted for you in advance (and have someone who speaks English and Mandarin with you).

The tourists sites are (obviously) a bit touristy, but still awe-inspiring (forbidden city, summer palace, great wall, terracotta warriers, etc.). I found the attitude of some tourists a bit disturbing in a lot of the Buddhist and Daoist temples - people intrusively filming mourners at funerals, and making loads of noise when people were praying, etc. Try to go to the less famous ones if you want to be able to talk to the monks there. All the monks we met were really friendly, quite a few spoke some English.

The Chinese government make an effort to make sure you see the nicer side of things, and also try to get you to their recommended shops ('going to the great wall? Fine, but on the way, let's stop at this nice jade/pearl/silk/enamel/ceramic factory... very good value!') but it's not difficult to get away and wander around on your own, and tourists are generally very safe everywhere (though something of a curiosity in some places - my husband's black, and I'm nearly six foot tall, and we got a lot of attention in more rural areas!). Try not to buy too much from the government shops as you can generally get the same things cheaper elsewhere (don't forget to haggle).

We had a great time. Watch the excess baggage charge on the way back though if you do any shopping - some things work out pretty cheap what with the exchange rate and all.....

Comment

go on a guided tour to start and get a feel for the place and the "lay of the land" so to speak. Then branch out if you feel adventurous. DOC tour sounds like a great start.
          Nothing is more frightening than ignorance in action - Goethe

Comment

or just run around like a retard lol hahahahhaahhahahahahahahhaahhahaahha!!!!!
            lil monk

Comment

Working...
            X