Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qigong and Taichi methods of Cultivation

I wonder if anyone can shed some light.

When practicing Taichi, one is supposed to be completely relaxed, and ones movements should be fluid - during silk reeling for example - to cultivate the internal force. Complete relaxation is necessary to cultivate the chi.

However, in my experience of Qigong which I started recently, while one is supposed to be relaxed, the methodology is to push out hard to circulate the chi. It differs greatly from the soft flowing movements of Taichi. My question is why, if they're both ways of cultivating the same force, do they differ so much in technique of cultivation?

Peace
    Attached Files

My experience with Ba Duan Jing qi gong, and Lohan Drangoon qi gong practice, is that you do all the movements in a relaxed fashion. However, there are moments in Ba Duan Jing, where you can tense up and really use some slow force. I've seen it done both ways, relaxed, and with force (with muscle tension). I'm not sure why, I guess it all depends upon what you want to get out of it. Forgetting about the qi manipulation, Ba Duan Jing is an excellent tool for relaxtion, and for stretching. It's also useful for muscle strengthening, if you use a lot of muscular tension in the movements. Lohan Drangoon is generally done relaxed, the movements don't lend themselves towards forceful movements.

Now if only I could remember how to do all of that Lohan Drangoon stuff again... LOL
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Right Doc, I do Ba Duan Jing. Drawing the bow for example, among other movements, we do slow and with tension. Anyone know how these different ways of performing affect different results of internal energy?

Doc, how does muscular tension build strength?

Comment

theres different ways of doing qigong... some use obvious visualization to move the qi around and some are just natural and let nature take its course. At least in my limited experience. Both seem to work fine

dave
        simple and natural is my method,
        true and sincere is my principle --Tse Sigung

Comment

Well, anytime you continually stress a muscle, either with dynamic use (lifting weights) or isometric use (using the opponent muscles of the limb to counteract the force of the primary muscle, such as what you might do in Ba Duan Jing), that muscle responds by increasing it's fibrils, thus increasing it's ability in the future to supply more force. This results in increased muscle mass and increased strength.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Working...
          X