Topic Eight: Shaolin monks and western influence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topic Eight: Shaolin monks and western influence

Copied from Discussion Archive. For complete prior discussion, please go to Discussion Archive/Shaolin Topics/Topic Eight

I get all sorts of emails. But none have ever come close to this. It was written by a very intelligent person, well known to me, who obviously has some issues with the way I've interacted with some of the monks in the past. The email raises some good issues.... I think.

Doc, I've kept my mouth shut about something as long as I can. I can't any more. I read the Discussions Forum. I know you don't like religion and do like very much the "Vegas life". Your inherent right as an American and a human being is to feel as you please about it. I recognize and respect that. WHAT YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO IS TO UNDERMINE SHAOLIN....

Wow. Interesting accusations here. Regardless, I don't exactly "like very much" the "Vegas life". And I have no strong feelings about religion. But, that's besides the point. There are a lot of points made in this Topic, which no doubt, will generate a lot of interesting discussion.

For a complete reading of this, please go to the Shaolin Topics section in the site.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Hey doc could you put a link with these?
    http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

Comment

I present things for their educational value. Make sure you read the entire Topic, within the site.

There's actually a funny story behind this whole thing.... (But you'll have to read some of the Site News within the site to understand the background of this).
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

After reading the entire passage in the topic section, this person raises good points. IF they are accurate, and IF the world was black and white. Some of the references they made could be quite open to interpretation to whether or not good or bad, or just something that happened and was funny.

Perhaps some of the "bad" things (again I don't know the validity of these) could/should have been avoided. But, western influence is bound to have an effect on some of the monks. Surely it is the individuals themselves that are responsible for how they conduct themselves and what changes they make to themselves. Of course people can help or hinder them but it still comes back to the individual.

I can definately say that nothing I have ever read on this sight has made me think less of Shaolin's moral standing or that of any of the monks represented here. I read this forum regularly (and post seldom - not sure why?) and I can say that I have found the majority of the reading very educational, and the rest hilarious.

Perhaps the person who wrote the e-mail to Doc had a better understanding of what has been happening, but they didn't actually say what they're opinion of Xing Wei or Shaolin was, and whether this had been influenced by Docs actions, Xing Wei's or Shaolin's actions, or this website.

Well, hope I didn't step on any body's toes with this post.

Amitabha

Phil
        Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Comment

Read NEWS / SITE NEWS / JANUARY 2002.

You'll see what triggered the above mentioned email, lol...

(It was written by a Mormon woman, who went on one of the doctours years ago. She had actually brought a bag full of books, "The Book of Mormon", in an effort to convert some of the Chinese students, and monks.)

russbo.com

Comment

Just looked at the news section. I see. Sounds like someone with a bee in their bonnet to start with just took a situation at face value and let rip on you. Perhaps it was almost as if they had been waiting for the opportunity!

Once again your talent to make friends astounds me Doc

On a side note - in the news section you mentioned about your study of cleavage and how it reduces stress. I was wondering, do the stress relieving properties of staring at cleavage outway the possible stress causes of staring at cleavage? ie increased decibel levels on the ear drums and possible blunt force trauma to the groin and face.

Comment

I personally have found that staring at cleavage far outweighs the risks. I am always on the constant search for good, high quality cleavage to ease what ails me.

As your personal web based physician, in my professional opinion, I highly recommend it.

The woman that wrote the above mentioned email to me was a full fledged card carrying completely immersed Mormon. A good person, just, a bit too "immersed", in my opinion.

And, we liked her regardless.

russbo.com

Comment

Well, you can't please every one all the time. I must admit, my experiences with religious persons who "peddle" their faith is that they're quick to accept hospitality from others, but they aren't very hospitable in return if you don't conform to their beliefs.

Anyway, enough dwelling on religious zealouts. Time to go find me some cleavage to oogle.............

Comment

Working...
                X