No announcement yet.

Topic Nine: Unrequited love and honor..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topic Nine: Unrequited love and honor..

Copied from the Discussion Archive. For complete prior discussion, please go to Discussion Archive/Shaolin Topics/Topic Nine

My name is xxxxxxx and I’m a medical student (not pre-med) at the xxxxxx University, xxxxxx, xxxxx. I’ve always been fascinated by martial arts since I was a child and I did train with some horrible local instructor for six months and learnt nothing at all. Well, two years back, I had thought that my martial arts training was done for this lifetime. Apparently, this was not to be cause, ….well I fell in love with a woman....

Read the rest of it in the Shaolin Topics section of the site, at Topic Nine: Unrequited love...
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

I think I remember reading this post. Anyway, here's my thoughts.

Many a night sleeping alone has given made me think about the nature of love. Is it only physical? I mean two people "making love"? Or is it a higher love to help someone else, to serve them?

True, yes there is a physical love but would this last? Where can I find the love of lifetime?

I believe, that love needs attraction, but it is not necessarily attraction in and of itself.
    http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

Comment

Where can you find the love of a lifetime?

Eh, church? Steve will help you. He is, the master.

I seriously doubt that you or anyone else will ever find that. Like everything else in life, nothing is permanent. Especially love. It comes and goes. To some, more than others. To others, little or not at all. As to what it is, my feeling is that initially, it is purely physical attraction. Then, it becomes a matter of compatibility. Then, as time goes on, a symbiosis of mutual respect and dependency.

But, then again, what do I know. I'm just a jaded cynical ....
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

this, my friends, is why rock and roll was created. listen to jeff buckley, he knows.

well baby, i've been here before
        i've seen this room and i've walked this floor
        you know, i used to live alone before i knew ya
        and i saw the flag on the marble arch
        but love is not a victory march
        it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

leonard cohen

Comment

Well, my own beliefs of love, involve my savior dying on the cross for my sins. Perhaps, I won't. Perhaps I may. I think real love, something you show by not by doing stuff you like, but by doing stuff you dislike. To be in love is to be in a commitment.

By the way, my name is steve also. I don't know if the woman, at church could keep up. Or else they would just use me.

Comment

very good greenknight, you've brought us to the final verse:

well maybe there's a god above
            but all i've ever learned from love
            is how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya
            and it's not a cry that you hear at night
            it's not somebody who's seen the light
            it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah

once again, leonard cohen

Comment

The women at church can keep up.

And they will most definitely use you.

Ask Steve. He is THE master.

russbo.com

Comment

Well, I don't really need that.

Comment

I have had sometime to reflect on this whole love thing; hell I've had lots of time to reflect on lots of things. What I find interesting, though, is that there are two kinds of love one that focuses on the body and rapant emotions, the other is on the sense of pure spiritual freedom.

I, personally, have felt very little of the first (perhaps a minor degree of it, what we like to call infatuation) but I have felt quite a bit of the second. This type of love really has no boundaries in any one person, and it's definitely NOT the type of free love they were talking about in the 60's. It is more of love that focuses on letting go in one's life, and trying to understand things so that love without any attachment can arise.

Traditionally, Buddhism talked about love containing four aspects:

Friendship, Metta
                  Compassion, Karuna
                  Appreciation, Mudita
                  Letting Go, Upekkha

These aspects of love really tend to benefit people, while attached-love can go either way (usually the wrong way).

Peace.
                  "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

For a woman, to love you I think there needs to be some attraction. Sure you can get a woman to go out with you buy buying her dinners, presents, etc, etc. But eventually, she's going to get bored. For it to be true love, and not just lust, I think there needs to be compatibility. A house divided does not stand.

Comment

Working...
                    X