Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schools In LA?

Dear Doc

I don't know if this has been discussed before but are there any Shaolin schools in LA. I know there isn't any official school but are they trying to set somthing up there, is there anything? I train at the temple in UK you see, with Shifu Shi Yan Zi, who is now one of my great inspirations. In fact all the teachers are great inspirations, however i might have to leave London for LA and i, like many other people on these boards wish to take up shaolin training full time. The problem is i do have one other old dream that i wish to forfill, which is why i need to leave.

However it would kill me to lose out on my shaolin training and although you can achieve alot in shaolin at any age, the older you are the more difficult things will be for you to learn. So i was just wondering if you could help me in any way doc, if you know of any school out there where i can countinue my training untill i come back for holidays.

Thankyou.

Depends on how far you're willing to commute. I don't know of any strictly shaolin schools in LA, I do know a friend commutes to his school in Pheonix AZ from LA. They call themselves a shaolin school (and it really is a very good school even if its not entirely shaolin) but they empasize more internal gongfu, particularly xingyiquan.

I've got a good friend who may start teaching wing chun classes soon in LA or the hollywood hills (he's taught before, I say start teaching because he recently moved out to the valley from palm desert). And he also teaches sun style taijiquan.

Oh wait, who was that "terrible monk" guy someone mentioned a while ago? Hes an italian guy who allegedly trained at a shaolin temple branch in korea and now teaches in souther california.

Hope some of that helps.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

What is an official school?

Now, that's a question.

In any case, no, I don't know of any monks in the LA area. Nor do I know of any in the southern CA area. Or Arizona for that matter. Nor do I know of a Shaolin branch in Korea. There is an ex monk living in San Francisco who I talked with a few weeks ago; he was thinking of coming down to Vegas to join us at our school.

Vegas is three to four hours from LA, depending upon when you leave and where you leave from. We'll be more than happy to continue your training here. However, we are not as sanda oriented as Yanzi is; sanda is available with us, though we tend to teach more traditional gong fu. Not sure where you're headed with your training aspirations.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Well first of all, Shaolin has touched my life more than anything in the world. Watching performances & demostrations are simply a joy to watch, which is why i want to be part of the culture as much as possible. The thing is however, i love shifu Yanzi, but the San shou side does appeal to me as much as the traditional or Wushu side, which is why i dont mind if i don't learn Sanda. Furthur more though Sanda can easily be learnt at a young adult age, however, wushu doea have time limits, which is why i want to start learning as soon as possible. Shifu Yanzi is also planning to set up some wushu classes starting from Feb, which is another reason i wish not to leave.

As for training with you doc would be a pleasure but i dont know if i could commut on a regular basis but for shaolin i would definatly make any sacrifice possible.

Comment

The temple is becoming awesome..

Big changes, and staff and sword classes starting soon for a trial period - I must say the temple's on a roll...

Comment

Lipster, I was at the temple on sunday, couldn't see Shifu Yan Jiang or Shifu Yan Shang. There were 2 or 3 new Shifus though.

Are Yan Jiang and Yan Shang coming back, or are the new shifus there replacements? I hadn't been to the temple for a while because of my back injury. Quite a few new faces and changes, it's nice to see the whole place "evolving".

I like the sound of the new classes. I'm gonna have to wait a while for the acrobatics class though, I don't wanna make my back any worse
            Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Comment

Unfortunatly Both Shifus' Yan Jang & Yan Sang will not be returning to the temple. As Shifu Yanze explained to us in rooster the he sacked the for various different reasons that i dont really want to get into. However looking at the big picture, it always did look like Shifu's Yan jang & Yan Shang never did get on well with Shifu's Yanzi & Yan Lei. MInd you i don't think i have ever even seen those 2 even talk to Shifu Yan Lei. The Deciple is teaching Tai JI, prep & found for the moment. SHifu Yanzi said he tried to look for a new master, however it is difficult to find omeone that he trusts.

Comment

Britain must have easy visa regulations when it comes to Chinese citizens.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

It seems like a revolving door compaired to your trials and tribulations....
                  practice wu de

Comment

I've yet to finish writing about that nightmare.

russbo.com

Comment

****in politics. I hate ****in politics. Everywhere politics.

I liked them both, although I of course respect Yanzi’s decision.

Yan Jiang was a great loss. He still teaches in London - Yanzi may be hard pressed to find a replacement who he can trust; he's havin a harder time finding someone of the same quality as well. Truly a great, and I hope not pointless loss.

Comment

Working...
                      X