pu bu training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pu bu training

Sorry guys...this is an incredibly basic question.

I'm having trouble with the pu(2) bu(4) part of the wu(3) bu(4) quan(2) (5 stances boxing).

I can't yet do it correctly- heels flat and toes pointing straight ahead- and low the way my Sifu does it. My teacher said it was mostly a thigh strength thing and I need to practise more to have more tui(3) li(4).

Does anyone have any tips on how to practise a good pu bu other than doing and holding the stance itself?

It's more a matter of flexibility than strength. Ankle, hip, and lower spine flexibility.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Thanks doc!

I *can* do an ultra low pu bu, but the trouble is getting up fast enough to a gong bu

Btw, does anyone know whether it's possible to get your back flexibility back? I could literally bend myself almost double as a teenager, but I haven't practised my stretching seriously since. I'm in my mid 20s.

Comment

Well people vary - you're generally more supple when you're a teenager, so it probably won't go back to the same degree of flexibilty, but you'll have to try and find out yourself..

The pu bu going to gong bu thing I think is mainly just thigh strength...just keep practicing it..

Comment

As mentioned it's probably a question of explosive strength but also the right kind of flexibility when doing the relaxed explosive snap that puts your hip in the "locked" gong bu position. It is also extremely important to only use the minimum force necessary, otherwise you will not get the right kind of explosive movement.

To get the relaxed flexibility endless drills of ma bu becomes gong bu becomes pu bu becomes gong bu... is necessary.

To get the explosive strength, a filthy amount of frog leaps does the trick... expect some soreness

Comment

Walk around all day as if you were in a gongfu class. Keep your sacrum tucked in, your feet rooted, your mind on your lower dan tien, and your spine supple. Bend to the slightest force as if you were a reed in the wind. That will do wonders for your spinal flexibility. Not to mention your shen........
            Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Originally posted by kimble

Does anyone have any tips on how to practise a good pu bu other than doing and holding the stance itself?

well for one, it's not a stance...its not a posture...its a Step. practice transitions. do them sloooowly at first, and gradually build up speed. try to feel how your weight distribution changes as you step from one position to another. really, your pu bu should not just be the posture but a movement from one posture to another.

as for minutiae like flat feet- you'll get it eventually as your body picks it up. those are subtle refinements that eventually become more and more pronounced as you get em.

in wu bu chuen, the pu bu comes, i believe, after that high step on one leg(i forget its name), sinking down using a pu bu, then coming up not to a gong bu but rather to a cat stance....but then maybe i have it wrong.

anyway hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by dogchow108
                in wu bu chuen, the pu bu comes, i believe, after that high step on one leg(i forget its name), sinking down using a pu bu, then coming up not to a gong bu but rather to a cat stance....but then maybe i have it wrong.
                It's correct that one ends up in a cat stance, but one does so thrue a gong bu.

Comment

yes! i can tally another time i wasnt dead wrong about something shaolin.

Comment

Working...
                  X