forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forms

how many forms do they typically teach at shaolin schools and how do I determine what's best for me?
    "Hasta la vista gray davis you're being totally recalled" - The Governor of California

The number of forms you learn really isn't important. It comes down to how well you can do one form.

Normally in a lifetime you will learn 5 to 15 forms.

After a solid base is acheived your teacher will decide what style he would like you to be your specialty.

Comment

thanks for the info
      "Hasta la vista gray davis you're being totally recalled" - The Governor of California

Comment

Nice picture. I used to date a girl who wore sunglasses like that. Cute little babe she was. Broke my little heart.

Whore.

Anyway, there are somewhere between three and four hundred Shaolin gong fu forms. The number keeps increasing from year to year, as they add this modern competitive wushu stuff. Usually, most monks learn about fifteen to twenty. Presently, you'll find monks on the performance team learning three forms perfectly; with an understanding of some of the other basic forms. Historically, the monks learned more forms than that; Shi De Cheng learned about eighty from his master. I'm sure DeShan learned a great deal also. These were the days when transmission of knowlege was more important than being able to perform well.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Speaking of forms, you guys will love "Shaolin Real Kung Fu". It's the one with a young Shi De Yang on the cover. The VCD shows lots of monks practising, and also Shi De Yang doing an amazing xiao hong quan. The power and fluidity...whoa! You also see him teaching there. Tough teacher

Comment

thanks for the info and yeah those glasses rock. too bad he didn't have them in terminator 2 as well

Comment

Some shaolin monks learn only two forms,and they are much better then other monks,and some learn for about 20 forms and they are not good.Ones I heard a master saying : it is ok to master only two forms,one biginner form,and an advanced form,and you could learn many forms and master them,but there are no differents.
              So the first thing you have to practice is the basics,then the wubu chuan form.Then xiao hong chuan.These are the things that you have to master before everything.Then learn other forms and weapons.

Comment

"I dont fear the thousand moves you'v done once, but the one move you've done a thousand times"

or something like that..

anyway, i pretty much agree with the general concept being presented here..TaiJi masters have been doing this for centuries...Bagua people, as you go more and more recent, have all but eliminated forms in favor of just doing the palm changes and analyzing the living **** out of them. some lucky bagua teachers might know an actual "form" in the context of a shaolin "form", but really theyre pretty much gone. you can kind of say the same thing with XingYi, but thats more likely to have a "form"...

i guess the proper nomenclature for these "forms" is linking sequence.

as a student, i would probably be happy enough learning the Hong and TongBei systems and Yin Shou Staff of shaolin to really get good at..the rest of the stuff i'd really just kinda learn for ****s&giggles.

Doc- ive heard the same about Shi De Shan

Comment

i see forms as kind of like a constructive game. fighting isn't so much fun. fighting can be kind of simplistic, for instance, punching the other guy first. but at some level, even in a simplistic fight like that, a major aspect is an awareness of your own body and of your opponent's body, and i see forms as kind of a challenging way to get your body to know itself better. in that sense, internal standing meditations like in xing yi are not so much different from scores of complex shaolin forms.

Comment

FYI

Originally posted by dogchow108
                    "I dont fear the thousand moves you'v done once, but the one move you've done a thousand times"

or something like that..

The quote is:

I do not fear the 10000 techniques you practiced once, I fear the one technique you have practiced 10000 times.

Uwe

Comment

Uwe, it's on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember. Where is that quote from?
                      Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Comment

given the nature of oral tradition, i wouldnt be surprised if we could never really know that...

Comment

no actually, it's from me. i said it first.

Comment

well...damn....

Comment

Is it a quote, or now just a saying?
                              practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                              X