Chinese Opera/Chinese National Wushu Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Opera/Chinese National Wushu Team

Jackie Chan and his contemporaries were products of the Chinese Opera, whereby they were entrusted to them as children and trained in acrobatics, theatrical martial arts, acting and I assume dancing. Once given over to their trainers without much choice it seems they were committed to excelling in large part due to strict discipline and potential corporal punishment.

Jet Li, was a product of the National Wushu Team and was trained similarly to Jackie Chan in terms of being in their custody more or less without much choice once he was designated as gifted regarding Wushu. His motivation, while he was certainly disciplined was more or less winning, helping his team be successful and giving himself and his family a chance for a better life.

Could someone flesh out these entities that forged these great performers, correct any incorrect assertions I've stated and contrast the Opera with the Wushu team? I know that I had sort of thought of Jackie Chan and Jet Li as having the same origins as far as training til I actually examined their careers. Thank you.
    Peace, favor your sword. "In these modern times many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use." Achille Marozzo, 1536 Donald Corey Pillow

Familiarity breeds Contempt

Citizens should not fear their governments; governments should fear their citizens.

There ain't a wrong way to do right or a right way to do wrong! Joe Frazier

Ignorance is Bliss

I think that sums it up in the simple terms
    lil monk

Comment

theatrical martial arts
      I was under the impression of a little more than just theatrical martial arts, like a little training in the traditional as well.
      practice wu de

Comment

yes he is right as all was
        lil monk

Comment

joehaz, I think I missed your point. What are you saying here, if anything
          Nothing is more frightening than ignorance in action - Goethe

Comment

I meanthe deference between the two people is that one did traditnal and one did it for shows.
            lil monk

Comment

question If a Person is doing forms demonstrations in a competition is this not "for show" Or how about a two man set based on research, say a re-enactemnt of the warrior Pa-hwang vs. the cinnabar dog? both of which have martial sets?

Comment

I've found that they are now definitely considering doing a project together! I cannot wait to see these two leading actors and examples of the two most significant spawning grounds of wuxia cinema together at last.
                Peace, favor your sword. "In these modern times many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use." Achille Marozzo, 1536 Donald Corey Pillow

Familiarity breeds Contempt

Citizens should not fear their governments; governments should fear their citizens.

There ain't a wrong way to do right or a right way to do wrong! Joe Frazier

Ignorance is Bliss

Comment

I thought they already did a film together-at least I saw both of them on the cover of a dvd once (but dvd covers often lie-just check out the one for Jackie Chan's The Accidental Spy)

Comment

especially asian DVDs.

Comment

Working...
                    X