Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Lo Han Quan

Hi everyone,

i am very curious about Lo Han Quan. I think i am going to specialize in this kind of quan as it is so vast! After reading the recent Lo Han quan topics i became slightly confused about what they are named. Hope somebody can enlighten me!

I have learnt,

Shaolin Lo Han Shi Bai Shi 18 Lohan form for body strengthening

Shaolin Xian Tian Lo Han Shi Ba Shi. 18 lohan form (this is a very traditional form that has only 21 movements and 18 hand forms)

Shaolin Xiao Lo Han (the one with the drunken man walking)

Shaolin Yi Lu Lo Han Quan (Shaolin Arhat routine 1, depicting the character of the 1st Lohan)

Shaolin Er lu Lo Han Quan (2nd routine, depicting the character of the 2nd lohan)

according to things i have heard, there are total 18 lohan forms, each for every character of Lo han. They are in total 18 lo han monks and each have their own routine. Though i have no idea where to learn the rest.

The first lo han boxing has the movement in which there is sand throwing. It too comprises quite a lot of movements.

The second lohan, er lu lo han is almost identical to Da Lohan, i think that da lohan is a modernised version of lo han quan. Though i am not sure and i have no official backing on this.

I have also heard of 108 form lohan and one where there is even more forms.

Also, Shi Gao Chan taught Xi Nu Lo Han Quan, which is angry happy lo han quan so it really makes things real complicated.

I think they are many many variations of lohan quan, i hope in this forum i can find someone who can enlighten me on the different forms and maybe where i can find the other 16 lohan routines that potray the other lo han monks.

Shaolin Yi Lu Lo Han Quan, Shaolin Arhat routine 1, depicting the character of the 1st Lohan, Shaolin Er lu Lo Han Quan, 2nd routine, depicting the character of the 2nd lohan
    That's Da Lohan. Both of them together. Though, because most don't know the second half, Yi Lu is mistakenly referred to as the whole Da Lohan.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

hmmmm, 1st arhat routine and 2nd arhat routine goes together to form the big lohan?????
      However, the 1st lohan form ends with a horse stance similar to the ending of da hong quan and the 2nd routine starts with the position of praying to the buddha on one leg. I wonder what move will link the 2 together???

Also, i wonder what are the other 16 forms depicting the characters of the other lo han? I heard the 1st routine depicts the lohan which is mighty and tempered. The 2nd represents the lohan who feints his attacks and represents a wisdom of the lohan. The 3rd routine, though i have never seen, i have heard it is a routine of the so called one leg lohan, which inside the routine, has alot of moves where the practitioner stands on one leg. As for the rest, i have no idea what they are like.

Shaolin Fanzi Quan is said to symbolise the dragon slayer lohan and it is supposed to be the 18th Lohan. I think much is lost for Lohan quan. If what you said is true, that there is only Da Lohan and Xiao Lohan now, i think much of it is lost as Shi Gao Chan teaches Xi Nu Lohan which is supposed to be taught in Singapore. I shall go there middle of this year and visit the Shuanglin temple to find out if there is such a lohan quan still being practised.

Hope someone with more information can enlighten us. Lohan Quan is in my opinion, the best representation of Shaolin Quan!

Comment

However, the 1st lohan form ends with a horse stance similar to the ending of da hong quan and the 2nd routine starts with the position of praying to the buddha on one leg. I wonder what move will link the 2 together???
        You're missing some moves in the middle. This is common, I've seen this before, when the monks end what they refer to as "Da Lohan", which in fact, is Yi Lu Da Lohan. An "ending" is attached half way through the form.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Hi everyone,

i've just seen the slideshow lohan quan. That's yi lu lohan, the first lohan routine. Compared to what i have learnt, it is shorter and different.

As for Da Lohan, the one in the video, it is er lu lohan, lohan 2nd routine, that's what i have learnt except again, it is shorter, about half of the form.

So from what i have learnt, both yi lu and er lu lohan quan are both significantly longer than the ones that are shown on the website.

I am not sure if yi lu and er lu are meant to be linked together, however, i am very grateful for the information that this website has provided me and this great forum.

I think i shall go look into the 16 other forms depicting lohan characters, lohan san lu, si lu, etc (3rd routine, 4th routine..etc.)

Comment

If this is the case doc, then Da lohan would be a lot more than 108 moves, as the er lu lohan in it self contains some 80 moves, and yi lu I'm not sure but at least 60 I think, as it is pretty long. This would make Da Lohan like at least 140 moves long..??

You have to forgive me for not believing the 2 should be put together, but rather are 2 separate lohans.

Are you absolutely sure yilu+erlu=Da? I don't know..

As I said in another thread, the lohan in the slideshows is yilu lohan, and the one in the videosection is half of erlu lohan..and they seem very much like 2 different forms to me..

Comment

Yi Lu and Er Lu fit together, when performed together; combined, they are 108 steps, and they make up the entire Da Lohan. According to Shi De Cheng, who knows this stuff better than anyone I know, there are no other stages of Da Lohan. Just these two parts. Again, the first half is commonly taught, and, the ending is altered so that it "ends". The second half is not commonly taught, nor can it be performed by itself without altering the beginning, so that it "begins".

What you see on the videos on the site, are alterations of what is taught. I have not videotaped the entire Da Lohan. It is not commonly taught, and DeCheng would not be happy if I shared it with the world.

By the way, there were more than 18 Lohans.

russbo.com

Comment

I have learned the shaolin lohan quan,but it is completly different from the one you have in this site!
                and I also saw some people doing the form completly different,why is that?

Comment

What is on the site is not the complete Da Lohan. As I said in the previous post, I have not videotaped it, nor slideshowed it, in it's entirety.

russbo.com

Comment

I know,but my question is why is there a lot of versions of lohan quan?and how many?
                    I know that you did not put all of the fofm in this site...bot even the bigining of the form is different!

Comment

There is one Da Lohan. It is made up of 108 steps, comprising of two parts, Yi Lu Da Lohan and Er Lu Da Lohan. Yi Lu Da Lohan is fairly commonly taught, Er Lu Da Lohan is not. Neither are well depicted on this site, either in video or slideshow format. The "Lohan Quan" video that you see is not a visualization of either Yi Lu or Er Lu Da Lohan; it is just an amalgam of different maneuvers commonly found in Lohan forms. The "Da Lohan" slideshow is the abbreviated version of Yi Lu Da Lohan that is commonly taught in Shaolin; it is not the complete and unaltered traditional version.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                      X