STUK New Classes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUK New Classes?

I was wondering if anybody here has attended the new classes at STUK? The Forms & Acrobatics, and the Sword/Stick classes.

I haven't been to the temple since the end of January, I was just wondering what they were like and if anyone could give an outline of what the classes contain. I'm going this weekend, but I'm recovering from my back injury, so I don't think I'll be doing anything other than Qigong and Taiji.

Could someone please satisfy my curiosity?
    Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Dose STUK stand for shaolin temple UK? and if so how many monks are there or is just a shaolin school?
    lil monk

Comment

Yes, STUK stands for Shaolin Temple UK.

As for how many monks there are, Shifu Yanzi is the schools founder and I think he's a fully ordained monk. Shifu Yan Lei has referred to himself as a Shaolin Disciple. I think that there are 3 other shifus now. There were some changes over the christmas period so I'm not exactly sure of that.

Shifu Yanzi was "authorised" by the abbot to set up STUK (for what that's worth, I don't think the abbot's authorisation guarantees a good gongfu school - although personally I have no reservations about what is taught at STUK)

I'm only a junior member of STUK so if I've said anything incorrect, slap me down and correct me guys.
      Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Comment

all right because i am thinking about go there and seeing how it is there before i go to china to train.
        lil monk

Comment

I saw they've also started a Praying Mantis class for all levels - anyone tried it out yet? Who's teaching it?

Comment

oh have wanted to practice praying mantis hum mybe i will check it out
            lil monk

Comment

Hey, in response to the original question, I went to the forms & acrobatics class, and the weapons class, yesterday.

Forms & Acrobatics is cool, it basically involves a preparation class-style warmup followed by a series of various acrobatic techniques and maneuvers, like jump kicks, cartwheels, no-handed cartwheels and butterfly kicks etc. We did a couple of 2-3 movement combinations involving low spinning sweep kicks, then in the last 15-20 minutes the monk (some young guy whose name I don't know) broke out the spring board & crash mat and we took turns doing stuff like flips, somersaults etc off the spring board. It's good fun, and very physically demanding. Not really "gong fu", as such, and we didn't really do any Forms to speak of, but it's fun and a good workout.

The Weapons class was also good. Although it's called "Sword & Stick", we didn't do anything with swords. I bought my own staff (£15 for a good quality wax wood staff) so I can train by myself and because there aren't always spare ones lying around for students to use. We started with a basic warmup, as usual, then went into some staff-spinning moves and some pretty impressive techniques with whirling the staff all over the place, it takes a while to figure out how the hell to do these things but once you get the hang of it it's extremely cool. Then we went into what was just called the "Stick form" (I assumr it's Ing Shou Gun, but I don't really know), during which I was totally lost, so the teacher just took me and a few other equally lost people to the side and got us to practice the basic spinning techniques while watching the others do the form.

Anyway I highly reccommend both of those classes. I'm gonna check out the mantis class next week, too.

Comment

Sorry I didn't reply to your original question, I've only just seen it. I was going to those classes from the beggining. Can't go anymore (i'm in Hong Kong) but I hope you enjoy them and fair better than I did at those no handed cartwheels and somersaults.

Ross

Comment

Shaolin Punch Bag, you said you use a waxwood staff. I was wondering which one you got as there seem to be two versions : 1) the wushu waxwood staff (which a bit is lighter and I think white) and the other the kung fu staff (slightly heavier. Just wanted to know so that I dont end up getting a staff which is too light/heavy to do what we learn in the class properly. And thanks for the information before on the Taiji teacher although I still need to know about his precise whereabouts. Thanks.

Comment

I just asked to buy a staff and they handed me one. Mine happens to be bigger and heavier than most, but it just depends which one they give you basically. You'll still be doing the same things in the class, so it doesn't make that much difference. A lighter one will be slightly easier to use generally - a heavier one means you have to work harder but you'll improve more over a long period of time.

Comment

It is more difficult to do some of the maneuvers in Ing Shou Gun with a heavy staff. And do them correctly. The increased flexibility of the stick is necessary with some movements.
                      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                      russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                      X