dit da jow: The science behind it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dit da jow: The science behind it.

my sifu, being a good traditional gongfu teacher, always has on hand in the dressing room an ample supply of dit da jow (topical pain relieving wonder vodka, for lack of a better description). i tend to apply it 2-3 times in a given 2-hour class.

is this too much? is there such a thing as too much dit da jow? should i apply it mostly before, during or after training? does it matter? is there any scientific basis for this actually working, or is it all in my head? how much should i use when i apply it? should this amount, or the frequency with which i use it, change as my training progresses? why is the sky blue? am i asking too many questions?

any help, as always, would be appreciated.

with eternal blessings from the magenta goddess of the 32nd angular heaven,
    - zach

Well, here's two different formulas for Dit Da Jow. If anyone wants to tell us if each component has any effect in the body, I'd be interested in learning. At this point, I don't have the time, but I'll try to get back to this.

From the russbo.com archive:

Formula One

01) RU XIANG (Olibanum Gummi - Frankincense)

02) MA QIAN ZI (Strychnos Nox Vomica - Horse Coin Seeds)

03) DANG GUI
    Chinese Angelica Root
    Radix Angelicae Sinensis

04) XUE JIE
    Dragons Blood
    Sanguis Draconis

05) MO YAO
    Myrrha
    Commiphora Myrrhae

06) ZHANG NAO
    Camphora
    Camphor

07) DING XIANG
    Male Clove Flower Buds
    Flos Caryophylli

08) TAO REN
    Peach Kernels
    Persicae Semen

09) DA HUANG
    Rhubarb Root and Rhizome
    Radix et Rhizoma Rhei

10) MU XIANG
    Aucklanda Root
    Radix Aucklandiae Lappae

11) PU HUANG
    Cat Tail Pollen
    Pollen Typhae

12) CHI SHAO
    Red Peony Root
    Radix Paeoniae Rubrae

13) SAN QI (powdered)
    Root of Pseudoginseng
    Radix Pseudoginseng

14) HONG HUA
    Safflower
    Carthami Tinctorii Flos

15) CHUAN XIONG
    Szechuan Lovage Root
    Ligustici Wallichii Rhizoma

Formula Two

Phellodendri, Cx. / huang bai
    Acanthopanacis Gracilistylus Radicis, Cx. / wu jia pi
    Drynariae, Rz / gu sui bu
    Olibanum, Gummi / ru xiang
    Arisaematis, Rz. / tian nan xing
    Eucommiae Ulmoidis, Cx. / du zhong
    *(Toxic Herb)*Aconiti Carmichaeli, Rx. / chuan wu
    Curcumae Tuber / yu jin
    Gardeniae Jasminoidis, Fr. / zhi zi
    Corydalis Yanhusuo, Rz. / yuan hu suo
    *(Toxic Herb)*Aconiti Kusnezoffi, Rx. / cao wu
    Curcumae Longae, Rz. / jiang huang
    Codonopsitis Pilosulae, Rx. / dang shen
    Rehmanniae Glutinosae, Rx. / sheng di huang
    Asari, Hb. Cum Radice / xi xin
    Myrrha / ma yao
    Citri Reticulatae Viride, Per. / Quing pi
    Rhei, Rx. et Rz. / da huang
    Sappan, Lignum / su mu
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

The only one I recognize from the list above is camphor, which is used to deter moths. Let's see what a herbal medicine website says about the "medicinal" uses of camphor:

Camphor has a strong, penetrating, fragrant odour, a bitter, pungent taste, and is slightly cold to the touch like menthol leaves; locally it is an irritant, numbs the peripheral sensory nerves, and is slightly antiseptic; it is not readily absorbed by the mucous membrane, but is easily absorbed by the subcutaneous tissue- it combines in the body with glucuronic acid, and in this condition is voided by the urine. Experiments on frogs show a depressant action to the spinal column, no motor disturbance, but a slow increasing paralysis; in mankind it causes convulsions, from the effect it has on the motor tract of the brain; it stimulates the intellectual centres and prevents narcotic drugs taking effect, but in cases of nervous excitement it has a soothing and quieting result. Authorities vary as to its effect on blood pressure; some think it raises it, others take an opposite view; but it has been proved valuable as an excitant in cases of heart failure, whether due to diseases or as a result of infectious fevers, such as typhoid and pneumonia, not only in the latter case as a stimulant to circulation, but as preventing the growth of pneumococci. Camphor is used in medicine internally for its calming influence in hysteria, nervousness and neuralgia, and for serious diarrhoea, and externally as a counter-irritant in rheumatisms, sprains bronchitis, and in inflammatory conditions, and sometimes in conjunction with menthol and phenol for heart failure; it is often given hypodermically, 3 to 5 grains dissolved in 20 to 30 minims of sterile Olive oil - the effect will last about two hours. In nervous diseases it may be given in substance or in capsules or in spirit; dose 2 to 5 grains. Its great value is in colds, chills, and in all inflammatory complaints; it relieves irritation of the sexual organs.

Camphorated opium (Laudanum) is used for diarrhea. Otherwise, I know of no other use for camphor medicinally, in terms of what they describe here.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

beautiful. one down, at least 14 more to go.

Comment

PHELLODENDRI

DESCRIPTION
          Chuan huangbo Tabular or shallowly channeled, varying in length and width, 3~6 mm thick. Outer surface yellowish-brown, even or longitudinally furrowed, some showing scars of lenticels, and remains of greyish-brown coarse bark, inner surface dark yellow or pale brown, with fine longitudinal ridges. Texture light and hard, fracture fibrous, showing lobelike layers, dark yellow. Odour, slight; taste, very bitter, viscous on chewing.

Guan huangbo 2~4 mm thick. Outer surface yellowish-green or pale brownish-yellow, relatively even, with irregular longitudinal fissures, scars of lenticels small and infrequently visible, occasionally remaining greyish-white coarse bark. Inner surface yellow of yellowish-brown. Texture light and relatively hard. Fracture bright yellow or yellowish-green.

ACTION
          To remove damp-heat, quench fire, counteract toxicity, and relieve consumptive fever.
          Cortex Phellodendri(processed with salt) To nourish yin and reduce fire.

INDICATIONS
          Dysentery, jaundice and morbid leucorrhea caused by damp-heat; urinary infectious; weakness and edema of legs; consumptive fever and night sweating; seminal emission; sores and skin infection with local redness and swelling; eczema with itching.

Cortex Phellodendri(processed with salt): Night sweating and consumptive fever due to exuberant fire secondary to deficiency of yin.

REFERENTIAL ADVICE
          1.Reducing heat and resolving dampness:

For the treatment of dysentery due to damp-heat accompanied with fever and tenesmus, it is often combined with Radix Pulsatillae, Cortex Fraxini, etc.; for jaundice with fever due to damp-heat, with Fructus Gardeniae and others for recuding heat and resolving dampness; for yellow and thick leukorrhea due to damp-heat with Semen Euryales, Semen Ginkgo, etc.; for the treatment of the low extremities affected with hotness and pain due to the descending of damp-heat, with Rhizoma Atractylodis, Radix Achyranthis Bidentatae; for stranguria with hot sensation or painful urination with dark urine, with Fructus Gardeniae, Semen Plantaginis, etc.

2.Purging fire and eliminating virulent evil factors:

For the treatment of eczema and skin pyogenic infection due to virulent heat, it may be used internally or externally: for eczema, it can be used with Herba Schizonepetae, Radix Sophorae Flavescentis; for skin pyogenic infection, it can be used internally in combination with Rhizoma Coptidis, Fructus Gardeniae, etc. and used externally by mixing its powder with pig's bile.

3.Eliminating asthenia-heat:

For the treatment of hectic fever, nocturnal emmision, night sweating, due to deficiency of Yin leading to flare-up of fire, it is often combined with Rhizoma Anemarrhenae.

TIPS
          Strong antiseptic action in dysentery, enteritis, cystitis, urethritis; also lowers blood pressure and blood sugar.

Take that for what it's worth. Now, where is my pig's bile...

russbo.com

Comment

Acanthopanacis Gracilistylus Radicis

dispels cold dampness pain, rheumatism, weakness in joints and muscles, aids in development of walking in toddlers, for urination difficulty, edema, and for reducing swelling. Dosage: 4.5~15 grams

Contains: syringin, (-)ent-kaur-16-en-19-oic acid, 16 aplpha hydroxy-I-kauran-19-oic acid, stearic acid, d-sesamin, vitamins A and B, calcium oxalate, palmic acid

Herb gatherers in the northern part of China usually use gang liu pi (belongs to the Sclepiadaceae family) as "northern wu jia pi." Most herb stores use northern wu jia pi in making wu jia pi wine. According to research of Zhao Zi Huang, long term use of wu jia pi wine causes death. Toxic reactions of wu jia pi wine made from northern wu jia pi include blindness, numbness in limbs, dizziness, and headache; long term use may cause death.

russbo.com

Comment

Olibanum (Boswellia serrata)

A Sun incense made from the resin of the tree Boswellia serrata, olibanum contains essential oil, gums, and terpenoids (boswellic acid). The scent is similar to frankincense, but more delicate. It is one of the ingredients in Incense of Abramelin. It is also known as a Fire of Fire incense. In Ayurvedic medicine, it is known as Salai guggal and used as an analgesic, especially for rheumatic diseases. In the West, this has been showing promise in the treatment of certain types of brain tumors.

Interesting...

russbo.com

Comment

Arisaematis

REFERENTIAL ADVICE
                1.Eliminating dampness and resolving phlegm

In treating cough due to stubborn phlegm and damp phlegm, stuffy chest, etc., the drug is often used in combination with Rhizoma Pinelliae, Poria, Fructus Aurantii Immaturus, etc., or the drug, Rhizoma Atractylodis Macrocephalae, and Rhizoma Pinelliae can be made into pills. In treating profuse yellow sticky sputum due to lung-heat, the drug can be used in combination with Rhizoma Pinelliae, Radix Scutellariae, etc. In treating cough with thin sputum, the drug Rhizoma Pinelliae, Cortex Cinnamomi can be made into pills, to be taken with decoction of Rhizoma Zingiberis Recens.

2.Dispelling wind and relieving spasm

In treating excessive sputum, severe numbness of hands and feet, hemiplegia, delation of mouth and eye which are due to retention of wind-phlegm in the channels, the drug can be used in combination with Rhizoma Pinelliae, Rhizoma Typhonii, Radix Aconiti, etc. In treating tetanus manifested by spasm of limbs, lockjaw, neck rigidity, etc., equal amount of the drug and Radix Ledebouriellae can be ground into powder, to be used for oral administration or external treatment.

3.Removing toxins and treating skin and external diseases

In treating boils, carbuncles, scrofula and tuberculosis, the drug can be soaked in vinegar and the concentrated solution is applied to the local area. In treating snake bite, the fresh drug is pounded and applied to the bite, or the dry drug and Realgar are ground into powder, mixed with alcohol and applied to the bite.

Besides, the drug is in recent years used to treat carcinoma of uterine cervix. Pharmacological research has proved that the drug has antineoplastic action.

TIPS
                The fresh drug is toxic, but not the dried; when used fresh, it is mixed with beef bile or Pinellia ternata to neutralise its toxins.

No western medical uses here.

russbo.com

Comment

Eucommiae Ulmoidis actually has some similarities to latex; they are finding that those people who have latex allergies, can also have allergic reactions to this stuff. No western medicinal uses.

russbo.com

Comment

i'm also pretty sure there's some kind of fermentation (or just adding-of-liquor) process in there somewhere. what effect would this have on the effectiveness of the other ingredients? for instance, would this help the muscles absorb the active ingredients more easily, as i think i must have read somewhere but maybe didn't who the hell really cares anyway now i'm rambling?

- zach

Comment

Aconiti Carmichaeli

Aconite Carmichaeli is a Chinese Herb that is sometimes utilized when a patient has been diagnosed with Heart, Spleen, and/or Kidney yang deficiency with Wind-Cold- Damp painful obstruction. It works by warming the interior, restoring yang and expelling cold. It has been considered very helpful in unblocking and improving circulation. It is also used to alleviate pain. Symptoms that can be associated with depleted yang and weak yang Qi associated to the spleen, kidneys, and heart are: cold extremities, feeling faint, chills, diarrhea (with undigested food in stool), severe vomiting, and a weak or barely perceivable pulse.

Side effects:

Heart arrhythmia
                      Hypertension
                      Drooling
                      Nausea
                      Vomiting
                      Diarrhea
                      Headache
                      Blurred vision,
                      Tingling in mouth and extremities
                      Numbness of the mouth and extremities which can spread to the whole body
                      Muscle spasms
                      Dyspnea
                      Tremors
                      Incontinence
                      Reduced temperature
                      Lowered blood pressure
                      Intense pain
                      Exaggerated reflexes
                      spasms

Toxic Effects:

Convulsions
                      Stupor
                      Shock
                      Central paralysis Paralysis of the respiratory system leading to asphyxiation and death
                      Slowing of the heartbeat, and heart failure leading to death.

Side effects:

Headaches
                      Nausea
                      Diarrhea

In Chinese medicine Aconite Carmichaeli can be classified several different ways based on how it was processed. Each method of processing seems to create a end product that is more specific to certain medicinal needs.

Generally, aconite is processed with salt in an effort to reduce its toxicity. Leteralsi aconiti carmichaeli (Sheng Fu Zi) is the unprocessed root. It is rarely used and usually only in cases of severe shock or for certain topical applications. "Black Aconite Daughter root" (Hei Fu Pian) is processed in s.c. as way that leaves the root black with a slightly oily cast. It's actions focus on the Kidneys. "White aconite daughter root" (Bai Fu Pian) is processed in s.c. a way that leaves the root a whitish-yellow color and translucent. Its action is focused on relieving painful obstruction.

Aconite is extremely toxic and its biochemical constituent aconitine is considered a potent, fast acting poison. Even when treated, handled, and administered correctly aconite should always be used with respect and caution. Never take aconite without careful monitoring from a qualified health care professional.

It should be noted that even with external use, aconitine can be absorbed through the skin.

Read labels carefully before purchasing. There have been reported cases of herbal products being sold that did not contain active ingredients (the herbs active constituents) needed to be of any therapeutic value. Unless using the raw herb, buying a standardized product when purchasing a product may reduce the possibility of this occurrence. Look also for products that are clearly labeled with the ingredients contained and amounts.

Raw herbs, tinctures, ointments, etc all have varying life spans. Generally, an herbal product will have the longest life span when it has been extracted in alcohol. It should be noted however that though it can make certain herbs more bioavailable, extraction in alcohol can reduce the effectiveness of others.

General information: Aconite has a long history of use as a medicinal herb. Around the world references can be found that account to it's usage and benefits in traditional, folk and homeopathic medicines. Unfortunately, just as it is known for its medicinal uses it also known worldwide as a highly toxic substance and it's misuse has led to death. Therefore this herb should only be utilized with the awareness and monitoring of an experienced health care professional.

There are many varieties of Aconite, and as the biochemical constituents (active ingredients) present differ slightly in each aconite variety and active ingredients effect the therapeutic value of the plant, caution and research should be applied before substituting one variety for another.

Aconite Carmichaeli is of the family Ranunculaceae and is indigenous to China where it has long history of usage. The source of it's first reference is thought to be the "Divine Husbandman's Classic of the Materia Medica" (Shen Nong Ben Cao Jing ) of the late Han period. It is often combined with other herbs in medicinal formulas. Some of these combinations are said to reduce the herbs overall toxicity. In Chinese medicine it is considered acrid, hot, and toxic.

It is usually harvested in the summer or winter. The toxicity of this herb varies greatly within different varieties. It also varies due to growing environment, the source of the herb, how and when it was harvested, preparation, and the length of time the herb was decocted.

Generally, aconite is thought to act as anodyne and diuretic. It may inhibit the growth of certain bacteria. It is thought to effect blood glucose levels and cardiac functions. Studies however, have shown conflicting results to date on it's effects in these areas.. It has sedative and narcotic actions and is highly toxic if handled incorrectly. There have been reports that the estimated adult fatal dosage may be as low as 1 grm. Other sources estimate a fatal dosage to be 10-60grms. Differences in estimates may be due to the different varieties of aconite, harvesting, preparation, treatment of the herb, and the "model" used to make the estimate.

No western medicinal uses.

russbo.com

Comment

Curcumae Tuber

At last.

This root has genuine anti-inflammatory properties, found useful for people with rheumatoid arthritis.

russbo.com

Comment

Gardeniae Jasminoidis

No western medicinal properties

russbo.com

Comment

Corydalis Yanhusuo

Used as an infusion, decoction, extract and tincture.

Corydalis is a relative of the opium poppy that contains similar pain-killing alkaloids, but which are non-addictive as well as analgesic.

This herb is traditionally combined with the Peony and Licorice (Shaoyao Gancao Tang), in equal amounts, to make the basic formula for treating spastic pain – also combined with Coptis and Evodia, and the traditional Pteropus and Bulrush (Shixiao San), used for abdominal pain, menstrual pain, and pain due to injuries.

The tuber contains more than 20 active alkaloids, the most active of which are the cordalines, tetrahydropalmatine (THP), and protopine.

The alkaloids provide the herb with an analgesic effect that is about 1/10 of the strength of opium or 1/100 of the strength of morphine. The mechanism for its analgesic effect is similar to that of morphine, inhibiting the reticular-activating system in the brain stem, but without impacting opiate receptors. Chinese researchers report that 75 mg of THP daily was effective in reducing nerve pain in 78% of the patients tested.

Although the herb is far weaker than its stronger narcotic cousins, it is safer, and still has value in pain and stress relief, and as a sedative for insomnia. Corydalis can also be very sedating and therefore useful if there is insomnia associated with the pain. In insomnia patients, sleep was induced within 20-30 minutes after oral administration of 100-200mg dl-THP, without subsequent dizziness or vertigo.

Because of its usefulness in blood deficiency as well as in pain relief, it is an ideal herb for menstrual pain relief. Chinese researchers have demonstrated success in treating painful menstruation (dysmenorrhea), abdominal pain after childbirth, and headache with THP.

THP's analgesia and sedation have been shown to work, at least in part, by blocking postsynaptic dopamine receptors in the central nervous system. Unlike tranquilizers though, it does not affect brain serotonin levels, deplete monoamine stores, or block GABA receptors. It also has been shown to stimulate the secretion of ACTH (adreno-corticotrophic hormone) by the pituitary gland, which controls aspects of stress.

THP also has very valuable cardiovascular actions. It has been shown to decrease the stickiness of platelets, thereby protecting against stroke. It has also been shown to lower blood pressure and heart rate. THP also has been shown to have a muscle relaxing effect, working on smooth muscles as well as skeletal muscles. It reduced coronary resistance, increased coronary bloodflow, and dilated coronary blood vessels in rabbits, cats, and mice. The cumulative effect is to promote rhythmic efficiency. This, in effect, vasodilation, has been shown to be very helpful with migraine.

Corydalis is also useful for stomach ulcers, in that it helps decrease gastric secretions. In a large Chinese demonstration, patients with stomach and intestinal ulcers or chronic inflammation of the stomach lining were given a 90–120 mg extract of Corydalis daily, equal to 5–10 grams of the crude herb. 76% found significant healing and pain relief.

Side effects of Corydalis are minimal and toxicity is low, although CNS depression has been reported at high dosage levels.

The herb does not affect liver or renal functions, blood pressure or heart rate; and side effects associated with morphine such as nausea, respiratory suppression, and addiction are absent.

Use during pregnancy is contraindicated.

No western medicinal uses that I know of. (Opiates work better).

russbo.com

Comment

Codonopsitis Pilosulae

No western medicinal uses.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X