Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sushi in Kunming

Thanks to Rick for this beaut:

Beijing - A Japanese restaurant which served sushi on the body of a near naked woman has caused a storm of controversy in the conservative south-western Chinese city of Kunming.

The Hefengcun Huaishi restaurant launched a promotional "feast on a beauty's body," for local journalists on Friday, hiring two attractive fair-skinned college girls to lie on tables, with sushi and other food and flowers placed on their bare bodies covered with thin gauze, restaurant employees said.

The reports caused a storm in the local and national press with many readers slamming the novel dining trend as offensive and insulting to women.

"This is a form of disrespect towards women. I don't know how anyone can eat the food," a local resident was quoted by the Beijing Star Daily saying.

'This is a form of disrespect towards women'
    Li Ailing, manager of the Japanese-owned restaurant, said the restaurant received hundreds of phone calls, with many protesting the restaurant's bare cheek.

"We didn't think the reaction would be so explosive, so controversial," Li said. "The purpose of this promotion is not commercial, but to spread Japanese culture."

She blamed the reaction on Kunming people's conservative attitudes, but said the restaurant also had many supporters after reports came out.

"We had lots of people who supported us and wanted to make reservations, including people from Hong Kong and Taiwan," Li said.

Known as "Nyotai Mori" in Japan, the feasts date back to ancient times and are often offered in special hotspring resorts today, but are generally left off menus. They are offered to aficionados on request.

'We don't put the food right on the body'
    Restaurants as far afield as Seattle and Manchester have also offered sushi in the raw and drawn similar protests from women's activists.

Li said the Kunming restaurant was planning to charge 1 000 yuan (about
    R780) per person, far lower than the 10 000 yuan (about R7 800) cost in Japan.

The restaurant had also protected the girl's modesty by covering their breasts and genitals with seashells, and laying gauze over the rest of the exposed flesh, and getting waitresses to serve customers rather than allowing them to touch the girls, Li added.

"We also put the food on leaves and leaves on the body. We don't put the food right on the body," she said.

Kunming residents, however, lost their appetite. Many urged the government to take action, the Beijing paper said.

But the restaurant has not lost hope.

"Currently, Kunming people may not be able to accept this, but over time, maybe they can," Li said. - Sapa-AFP
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

damn it, why can't there be a tradition like this for passover seders....

- zach

Comment

I know. And I thought we Unitarians were liberal.............. Doc, you're new responsibility is to build a "church" with a sushi bar where this is on the menu. It would work, even if only in Nevada......
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

I told my friend who runs a sushi bar, to consider "that".

I figured, that I could be responsible for interviewing the new hires. It would give me something terribly worthwhile to do.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

lol, see the only problem with this thread, is every time I look over it, I get hungry for two things...

sushi and my girl...
          but if I go to get sushi, I have to bring her along, which doubles the price, which makes me forget what else I was hungry for....
          practice wu de

Comment

The problem is you have it backwards. Take care of the girl and forget the sushi! Everyone will be happy.
            Nothing is more frightening than ignorance in action - Goethe

Comment

Eat the sushi, **** the girl, and everyone will be happy.

Oh, how we have to teach these youngsters.

russbo.com

Comment

oh yeah.. thanks for reminding me... :roll:
                practice wu de

Comment

kinda off-topic but i heard Yunnan is a really cool area with more sights than the "sights" mentioned above in the news. Isnt that where Shangri-La and so on is? Ans is it LiJiang - the weird little mountain village with their own heiroglyphic language and stuff?

dave
                  simple and natural is my method,
                  true and sincere is my principle --Tse Sigung

Comment

Dave, read the site.

(Didn't think I'd be telling you this, lol)

It's in the Site Content / China section.

russbo.com

Comment

ummm... you told me to remind you about it so i was

dave

Comment

Remind me about what?

russbo.com

Comment

writing about LiJiang, Yunnan and so on

dawood

Comment

I thought I did. I need to write about Lu Gu Hu, and the matriarchal society.

Remind me.

russbo.com

Comment

i have no idea - like i said earlier i dont look at much else apart from the forum much these days (not enough time to give it proper attention )

dave

Comment

Working...
                              X