Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Whips and One Arm Uniforms

I have a few questions;

First of all: 9 sectional chain whip and 7 sectional chain whip. Is there a reason for 7 sectional chain whip or is it just for shorter people? I haven't seen much about the reason for that.

Secondly: Is there a site that shows or explains some applications of this weapon? I don't mean showing a form. I have seen them and done them. And they are even on this site. But I'd like to see or read about some different applications of the tricky moves you can do with this weapon. Other than the form of it I know. I want to see some more. Anyone? Anything?

Lastly: I have read about monk clothing. Doesn't mean much. As far as color and all. And I know the purpose for the wraps worn on the forearms and legs. One question about I haven't seen anywhere is why do they wear the one sleeve tops? I don't know. I know the legend of Da Mo and paying respect to his disciple Hui Ke for his dedication. You know, cut his arm off and waved it in the cold air to freeze the falling blood. Then it falls like red snow, as Da Mo told him he would teach him once red snow falls from the sky. This is the reason monks will greet each other with only the right hand. Because it was Hui Ke's left arm he cut off. But in the monk uniform it is the right sleeve they don't have. So maybe it has nothing to do with this legend. But it's just a guess. Anyone know the real reason for the one sleeve suits?

A mi tuo Fo

The nine section chain whip is standard in Shaolin. The kids have shorter ones. I have a custom made eleven link whip (the nine link is too short, and therefore hits me in the head when I whip it around my shoulders).

Applications. Tough one to demonstrate, for obvious reasons. For one, it can be used for trapping; the whip, when wrapped around a limb (or limbs), encircles the limb and then locks around itself. You can then use it to pull someone down. Or, lock someone up. If wrapped around the neck, well, use your imagination. For two, the end can be used as a striking object, not only in a circular, slashing mode, but, as a dart. You can actually fling the tip of the chain straight out, as a, for lack of a better word, poking strike. The end of the whip can also be used as a blunt striking object, swung circumferentially; a strike to the head, with an object that weighs very little, but, has great speed, will hit with tremendous force. The deterrent value of the moving chain is obvious. It also has a cutting ability; the chain, if wrapped around, lets say, the forehead, if it does not lock upon itself, can be withdrawn suddenly, with the chain itself causing damage as it draws back against the skin. It is a nasty weapon.

As for monk clothing, there are no "one sleeve tops". It's the same robe, just with one sleeve rolled up. Sometimes they do it, sometimes they don't. I've discovered no reason for this, other than the fact that they may want to look like Spartacus. When I video them,or take pictures, sometimes they do this one sleeve thingie. I always got the feeling that is was more for visual impact than for anything "meaningful".
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

One arm ..

Only reason for it is this happened a long time ago...
      Attached Files
      I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
      "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
      "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
      "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Great picture! haha.

Well, the robe does look pretty cool with one sleeve rolled up. I have seen Shi Xing Hong take his arm out of there and roll it on the inside by his stomach. I guessed it's just cuz he didn't have one of those robes. I have seen some that don't look like they rolled one sleeve in. And I have seen them made, although not real Shao Lin robes. Anyway it's always the right arm. That's why I wondered if it had some meaning.

Nice explainations of the techniques for the chain whip. I've learned the ideas of it. But I have never done chain whip sparring. lol. So I can't be sure. But of course that would be nasty. I just wanted to know some applications for the tricky stuff like going around your neck and under your leg. I guess it's just a way to distract someone and hit them. As if they aren't distracted enough with the sound of that thing spinning around so fast you can't even see it. Anyway, thanks for the fast reply.

A mi tuo Fo

Comment

fighting with a whip chain, as i imagine, would be much like the first time i decided to try hit something with nunchuckus. i learned a good lesson that day- weapons that you dont know how to use remind you of this fact by hitting you back.

Comment

I guess I won't ever have to use a chain whip in a fight though. Much like I most likely won't be walking down the street and pull out my Da Dao and start chopping people with spears. This isn't dynasty warriors. Sometimes I wish it could be though. That's an awesome game. Lu Bu!!

A mi tuo Fo

Comment

another advantange of the chain whip worth noting (something i've read about but admittedly never practiced) is that chain whips provide an extraordinarly long reach while still being easily concealed and carried. a little bag with a chain whip in it is far less suspicious-looking than a big sword coming from your belt. so, theoretically, you could carry a chain whip around with you if you wanted today, and you just might find yourself in a situation in which you would use it to defend yourself. unlikely, yes, but it seems more likely than defending yourself with a sword or a three-section staff.

a disadvantage that seems apparent from doc's description of the uses of the weapon is that, while it is the sort of weapon that would be sure to keep multiple attackers at a distance from you as long as you're swinging it around in unpredictable ways, the moment it gets caught around one of the opponents, it stops being a threat to everyone else, and you might get your head chopped off. following the same idea, if you're just fighting one enemy and the chain gets wrapped around something you don't want it to (like a tree), you're similarly ****ed.

i think in feudal japan they compensated for this by taking the traditional chain whip design and adding a sickle on the end (or just carrying a sickle separately) to provide a psychological incentive not to get close to the wielder. of course, this would eliminate any concealing advantage. maybe they did this or something like it in china, too.

just my feeble attempt at putting off actual work.

- zach

Comment

True Zach. So true. But in the U.S. one has to watch local legislation before one starts walking around with a chain whip. I know in California if you're carrying a chainwhip around (and not on your way to or from your kungfu school) its considered a felony charge for harboring a concealed weapon. However, if you can get a concealed weapon permit for it....... then its one of the only shaolin weapons you can take everywhere. Although I presume they would frown upon you taking it on airplanes.
                Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

well i was sticking to the theoretical. if you're gonna go to all that trouble anyway, there are a few even longer-range, more easily concealable and more dangerous weapons i can think of instead. hint: they definitely frown on taking these on airplanes.

- zach

Comment

I have seen some that don't look like they rolled one sleeve in.
                    I've yet to see any of these in the stores.
                    I just wanted to know some applications for the tricky stuff like going around your neck and under your leg.
                    These are maneuvers for moving forward, it's a way of "putting one foot in front of the other". You don't really walk with these things swinging around you, like a cowboy with a lasso. It's a distracting way of moving; very effective.
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

one sleeve tops
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by dragonturtle; 04-14-2004, 08:44 PM.
                      life is a cumquat (Maxwell Smart)

Comment

No, twisted and folded. It's buried under the rest of the clothing.

Xinghong is big on this one sleeve thing. It's a manly thing.

russbo.com

Comment

Your probly right. Ill ck next time De shan is wearing his.
                          Attached Files
                          life is a cumquat (Maxwell Smart)

Comment

No, I was wrong. I see these one armed uniforms in the stores now. Never saw them before. They're made out of bright orange polyester. Kind of gaudy, costumey like. Not very traditional looking colorwise. I have photos of them, will put on the site when I get back. (forgot the thingie to transfer photos from my camera to my laptop...)

russbo.com

Comment

well some industrious chinese

probably started making them that way, but Doc you were right in that originally the only one armed uniforms were actually two armed robes with one sleeve tucked in for air conditioning.
                              "Arhat, I am your father..."
                              -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Working...
                              X