Class: Beginning and Ending Shao Lin Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class: Beginning and Ending Shao Lin Style

I was wondering, what are some of the traditions in the schools in Deng Feng led by monks? Well, I mean at the beginning and end of each class. Do they all begin and end class the same way or do they do something different at each school? I'd like to know what they do. Like line up, clap, bow, say a mi tuo fo. I guess shaking the teachers hand would be a western thing to do. But, how do they stand and what do they do and say? The teacher says something. Ju Gong means bow in Chinese. Is this what they say? Basically, I'd like the details on how they do it.

Doc, you may be able to share that with me. You have been around to the schools as I have seen from your videos. And you know Shi De Cheng's school. I'm guessing you and the monks in Vegas would do the same. Coming from De Cheng's school. How do you guys do it there?

Thanks for sharing,
    Clap, Bow
    A mi tuo Fo

i have no idea how they do it in shaolin. but i like the way my teacher does it. the specified class time is 7-9, and you just show up, any time you want. you just start practicing your **** and then he comes around to you and tells you what you're doing wrong this time, then everyone leaves at 9:00. one time a new girl tried to leave before 9:00... it was ugly....

- zach

Comment

Clap, bow? Interesting.

Students line up, put their hands together. Teacher does same, slight bow to each other, omitofuo.

Classes tend to be two hours long, and typically follow the layout that I have described in the site, under Site Content/Shaolin/Shaolin Gong Fu/Traditional Gong Fu.

We do the same thing here in Vegas.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

if the classes tend to be 2 hours long why do so many claim they train 6 to 8 hours a day. is it because the schools have different lengths or do people take multiple classes at their discretion?
        "Hasta la vista gray davis you're being totally recalled" - The Governor of California

Comment

I start in the morning around 6, with walking and other exercises. Gong fu training is usually from 9 to 11, then we do some other training 1 to 3, more gong fu training 4 to 6, and occasionally supplement that with more training, qi gong, or what have you, in the evening.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Clap, bow.. is from Xing Hong's school. I saw it's like a military thing there. In the way they line up and kind of march in a little jog. When they lined up it seemed like a "parade rest". The teacher would call something and everyone would snap to "attention". Then he said something else and they all clap three times and bowed with a mi tuo fo. The teacher then bowed back and dismissed them.

One sleeve tops.. As I said before I have actually watched Xing Hong take his arm out of the sleeve and tuck it in. But also at that school they mostly wore one sleeve tops. You can tell when Xing Hong does his. It makes his stomach look fat cuz that's his sleeve tucked in there. But others look flat on that side. And the stitching that goes around it didn't look folded. If I find a picture I will post it. But it's not proving they have it anyway. If they do the question was on it's meaning. Maybe it has no meaning. Just one sleeve tucked in looks cool so they made some without a sleeve already. So if it has no meaning. Doesn't matter. No doubt it looks cool.

A mi tuo Fo

Comment

what is a mi tuo fo

oh yeah! associate status like a mofo!
              "Hasta la vista gray davis you're being totally recalled" - The Governor of California

Comment

haha, ok.

It's like the Chinese way to pronounce amitabha. a1 mi2 tuo2 fo2. "a" is in the first tone. A high tone. The rest are in the second tone. A tone starting low then rising. A- Mi/ Tuo/ Fo/. Fo2 means buddha.

A mi tuo Fo
                lol

Comment

Clap, bow.. is from Xing Hong's school. I saw it's like a military thing there.
                  Very astute. No comment. One day I'll write about that too.
                  But also at that school they mostly wore one sleeve tops.
                  Custom made. Not from Shaolin.

russbo.com

Comment

Buddha bless you

Comment

u tuck in ur sleeve..so it make ur stomach look fat??...i tuck my sleeve to the back..how do u tuck it in front of ur stomach??...wat side are u tucking??im tucking right side....
                      our class simply start up with..line up..teacher called attention or wutever he says in chinese..i assume it mean attention..he says solute(but in chinese sleet or sleep?) everyone bows..and class start..class end the same way..but at the end after we bow..we clap..and dismissed

Comment

As I've heard Decheng say it, it sounds like "saleet" or "salude". I don't know what it means. We never had a clap, we always put our hands together, much like a Thai wai, and bow, both before and after class.

They now make uniforms in Shaolin, out of this polyester bright orange shiny ****, that only have one sleeve. Don't like the new material that they are using. Too gaudy. Remind me of highway repairmen uniforms.

russbo.com

Comment

ya it sound like saleet...
                          well we dont have to clap..we jus clap for da hell of it..teacher doesnt say we have to clap..but the students just claps to show more appreciation..gues sit jus caught on ...so it like a regular thing now to us

Comment

I think all clothes should be made out of cotton or linen (or other organic comfortable materials) 100% or with very little polyester, etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X