What is the yelling before a form?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the yelling before a form?

Hi! I saw many video of chinese doing form in group and they begin their forms with yelling something that sounds like O MI DO. I know the traditionnal Omitofo. Is it the same thing???
    =========
    Peace out!

Not sure. I've seen it many times in China. I never really questioned what they were saying. Good question, never thought about it. I always thought is was a "group feel good" type of thing, you know, like the military does when they march and run their recruits. I'll have to look into this next trip.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

I thought they were all trying to do aumitofu in unison!?
      practice wu de

Comment

No it can't be amitofo because that stop at amito...
        =========
        Peace out!

Comment

it means on your marks, get set, go

in lame translation. in china we used to say it when we where performing our running jumps on the mat.

Comment

But what is the pinyin writing? and what it means?
            =========
            Peace out!

Comment

Hey, ChenZen, I'm a few days late making this post. If you haven't found out by now, They are saying "a mi tuo". Like "a mi tuo fo". Which is pin yin spelling. It's like a blessing or a way to show respect beginning and ending a form. It can be compared to christian "amen" after a prayer. "a mi tuo" is the same thing but they don't say "fo". Which means buddha. Could be because they aren't quite buddhist?? All the monks say "a mi tuo fo". But the students are still required to say it to show respect before and after doing a form. And also to the master. But not directly to buddha. Since they may not be buddhist. They are just students coming to learn.

Comment

He He! It will be never too late! Tanks
                =========
                Peace out!

Comment

Working...
                X