Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNIQUE Training Methods, self discovery?!?! ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNIQUE Training Methods, self discovery?!?! ;)

alright, this thread is dedicated to all those inventive martial artists, espcially the ones that toke

do any of you guys have any unique training methods, like for practicing accuracy, and power etc in your moves? like, we all know to repeat what were taught and class, but learning drills and forms is just the first aspect of training, after all we have to make the moves count right?

so, just now i was practicing my low kicks on a basketball. i started kicking it around at first but then i rested my foot on it and did low side and front snap kicks, and then after doing all this i started doing regular side kicks and i noticed how much the strike increased in power and accuracy! i did like 20 mins of solo kicks no basketball high and low, front kicks, side kicks, stomping kicks, all kinds and i havent even broken a sweat!! hahahaha

anyway, i really liked the training i just did it was pretty cool seeing my kicks progress like that..

these are tkd style kicks btw and they are really somethin

anyhow, do you guys have any training methods like this that youd consider unique or inventive? im open to some new ideas

amitabha
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

I spent some time yesterday standing torso deep in the pacific ocean, drawing in the energy as the wave broke, transmitting it through my body and releasing it towards the shore as the wave went by. It aint easy to do that and keep your footing, but its a wonderful taijiquan excercise.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Training in water is actually a really good idea. I've done my Taiji and Bagua in the water and have also wrestled with my friend until we couldn't move. It provides quite a bit of resistence then being out of water; and it is harder to root yourself on the ground. It is also harder to apply locks and throws since the other person becomes very slippery because of the water.

Peace.
      "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Of course that might not help you so much unless you plan to spend lots of time at watch hill or misquamacet (yeah I know I mispelled that beach) this summer. Is it warm enough for the beach over there yet? Even going through the taichi form, or another gongfu form, while shoulder deep in a pool is a wonderful excercise. Its just even more challenging to keep your dynamic root when there are waves breaking all around you.

Comment

well

well, personally i think my rooting is pathetic, right now, im working on getting really hard, i also wanna learn iron jacket soon..tarif ghazi teaches it..dave knows him, i met this bagua guy down at sutton park the other day and he said he knew tarif to, what is really cool about tarifs iron jacket though is it implements the traditional grand circulation into its training, the macro cosmic chi flow, aswell as covering all the gates

thats my goals for right now anyhow, rooting we work on all the time though in class, lots of drills at O's

but, i do have access to a nice size pool, probably would be a good idea to implement the above training since, summer wont last long this year..i just know it

anyway, didnt say anything before but the training in water thing was interesting to me, was glad someone else came up with a new method for me to train

amitabha

Comment

I try and hit a plastic water bottle cap to practice accuracy.

Also, I practice my forms on my bed before I got to sleep. No it's not Chi Kung.
            http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

Comment

I've been doing alot of japanese sword training lately, not simply to practice weapons, but because if you do it right, the sword forms help you practice grappling and joint locks. There's a really surprising level of finger breaks, aikido locks and throws in this one sword form I've been practicing.

Comment

Also, on a side note, I turned the bottle sideways, and it seems good for punches. I also practice kicking a tree with shoes on.

I also play rachet ball, as much as a can, it helps with distancing and moving around. Usually I do it solo as a warm up.

I also do a bunch of tai chi exercises and stretches before classes. I also do some forms, and combinations about half speed to warm up the body.

I can believe it about the sword form having alot of joint locks. Ju-jutsu, has some sword background usually, it was so they would draw could draw the sword so I have heard.

Comment

I do weight training but it isn't my main emphasis, doing it before a class though does increase your endurance. I do believe you need some strength. Also, having some muscle helps take hits. Usually the weight training, has several exercises working the same muscle group. A especially good machine for martial artists is the one with pullies on both sides.

Also, I know of a guy who has a coat, everytime he loses a pound he adds a pound to the jacket.

Comment

Lately, I've been doing alot of push lawn mowing.

Comment

I used to have the mentality that I had to train in a studio indoors away from the eyes of the world. Now I can't even put away a load of laundry without whipping around and considering the combat applications of my hangers
                      My favorite habit lately is taking my staff for a run in the woods. I skip from tree root to tree root as fast as I can, whacking every tree my staff can reach, usually laughing maniaclly the entire time. This tends to freak out anyone else who happens to be in the woods, which makes it all the more enjoyable.
                      Not applicable everywhere, but every terrain has its kung fu possibities. One only needs to be creative and experiment.

Comment

that's the truth. just ask the blue water ninjas.

Comment

lol, just pictureing someone running through the woods with a staff hitting trees..thats funny as hell

amitabha

Comment

I've also been doing alot of raking. It's interesting sweeping with two brooms, and moping. I usually put on ph45 sunblock.

Comment

I hear loading dishes into the dishwasher can also be a good workout...
                              just make sure you use the right kind of soap
                              And what the hell are the blue water ninjas?

Comment

Working...
                              X