Flexibility and Shi Hen Jun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexibility and Shi Hen Jun

Hey! If we look in http://www.russbo.com/monks/shi_heng_jun.htm it's wrote or my interpretation is that Shi Heng Jun began Shaolin Gong Fu at the age of 15 years old. In the documentary Nationnal Geographic - Kung Fu it's saying "According to Master Shi Heng Jun, to become a shaolin gong fu master, Tong Zi Gong is vital". Did he began Tong Zi Gong at the age of 15???
    =========
    Peace out!

Tong Zi Gong is not vital from what I've seen. I've met few monks who could do it properly. It's something that you really need to start at a young age, because the flexibility necessary is just, incredible. I've met one monk who was in his seventies who still practiced it, but, allegedly, he had done it all his life.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

So Did Shi Heng Jun begin at 15? Is 15 a good age to begin or its too late, I should do just some basic stretching exercices..?
      =========
      Peace out!

Comment

Begin gong fu or Tong Zi Gong? As was discussed previously in a Tong Zi Gong thread, starting at an older age is difficult, depending upon how flexible you are, and how old you are.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I want to know when he began Tong Zi Gong but I guess when he entered the shaolin temple his master began to teach him Tong Zi Gong... And you said "depending upon how flexible you are, and how old you are" I'm 15.. But I think the "how flexible you are" is the better thing to ask. Do you have an idea of the flexible level it will take me if i want to begin Tong Zi Gong. like if i am able to put my leg behind my head, can I begin Tong Zi Gong or i need more flexibility?
          =========
          Peace out!

Comment

Watch the video of Tong Zi Gong. It's in the File / Video Library, in this forum. You decide if you can do it. I know I'll never be able to, lol.

russbo.com

Comment

I already saw a lot of video on Tong Zi Gong but it's sure it's some advanced boys.. It's not their beginning... How are the beginning techniques...
              =========
              Peace out!

Comment

Great. I also want to know more about where you start when you want to learn tong zi gong, because i want to do it myself... but i guess it's only basic streches.... my guess would be: watch the form's different elements and start practising each of them until you got it.... although I wouldn't try to fall down with one leg above my head without a masters supervision. Be careful.

Comment

They begin with simple stretching. And then, they start to practice the different stretches found within the form. What you see on the video is not the "advanced" form, it is the form.

russbo.com

Comment

i wouldn't kick myself over it- flexibility is a good thing but its not everything. if you're "too old to start" its probably just as well- theres plenty of other things you can become insanely good at, many of which can benefit you much more than ungodly flexibility

Comment

Well if someone is flexible but not able to do the Tong Zi Gong form, can he becomes a martial monk anyway? Do all the techniques need a very great flexibility?
                      =========
                      Peace out!

Comment

ah...i figured thats where this was coming from.

Comment

Working...
                        X