??? Martial arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ??? Martial arts

hi, im new here, so i just wanted to ask ppl, waht martial art(s) they do. (please reply)

gongfu, taiji, qigong

Welcome
    and what about yourself?

Comment

Since I've been ill, I've spent less time with gong fu, and more with Muay Thai and American boxing. In the past I've studied gong fu, kempo, Seidokan karate, and very little Wing Chun. Gonna have to spend more time with the Wing Chun stuff, it's pretty neat.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Shaolin gongfu, qiqong, taekwondo, hapkido, and muay thai here.
        Amithaba

Comment

hung gar gongfu currently, in the past but very briefly, american kempo and aikido, and in the further past and less briefly, tang soo do. i am of the opinion that someone should choose a single martial art and stick with it for a long, long time, before switching over to another. so, by my standards, my own history is pretty pathetic. but hey, i'm young.

Comment

Northern Shaolin (not songshan), Yang taiji chuan, and have been introduced to a few other things.
            practice wu de

Comment

Well if that's the case zach, maybe I'm not so doing so bad after all..

I started with seven years of judo, and since then have been doing jeet kune do, yang taijiquan, aikido, some drunken boxing, and recently, wing chun and three circles.
              Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Damn, some of you guys study a lot of styles. How the hell do you have time to post on this website? Lol.
                Anyway, I like to 'research' many different chinese gongfu systems, but right now, the one I'm actually physically practicing is Five Families, Five Animals Gongfu.
                a true gongfu system must have the four major aspects of combat to be complete, "striking", "Kicking", Chin'na (joint-locking), and Shuai-Jiao (Wrestling)... in addition it must combine the internal with the external...

Comment

I started out doing some American self-defense, then got envolved in kung-fu. I did long fist, monkey, five animals, wu tai chi, Drunken boxing, shaolin, chen tai chi. I do mostly Yang style Taiji and Baguazhang now. I rarely ever practice the other styles I've done. I prefer the internal styles because they offer deeper levels of training, and easy to be more spiritual with internal arts.
                  "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

yeah the soft stuff just isn't for me. i feel cheated if i'm not about to faint at the end of a class. maybe in twenty years or so....

Comment

Word!

Comment

the classifications don't always apply anyway. most "hard" styles contain soft elements as well, but usually don't get too deeply into them until later.

Comment

"Traditional" Jiu-Jitsu 5 years, followed by 3 years of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (which I still do).
                          I briefly took some Tai Chi and really enjoyed it.

Comment

It was a process for me, going from external to internal.

What am I talking about?!?!?!

It still IS a process. Even when you begin with the so-called internal styles, your movement is still very external. It takes a while to really learn how to be an internalist. All gong-fu styles do it to some degree. Just the more common internal arts consider it their focus first off the bat.
                            "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

(In a old and wise voice)"Two different paths. But with a similar goal." Now cue the ancient mystical music, lol.
                              a true gongfu system must have the four major aspects of combat to be complete, "striking", "Kicking", Chin'na (joint-locking), and Shuai-Jiao (Wrestling)... in addition it must combine the internal with the external...

Comment

Working...
                              X