Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shi Su Xi

hi doc

My name is xxxxx and my sifu was a student of Su Xi back in the 80s. He told me sometime ago last year that his kung fu brother, su xi's more senior student de sui (water), told him that Shi Su Xi had already pasted away. But I couldnt find any information on the internet. Could you please confirm with me if this is true? as you travel back and forth Shaolin much more than my sifu.

Shi Su Xi, at this time, is alive and well, at least for a man in his late seventies suffering from a case of advanced Parkinson's disease.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Perhaps cuz there is a pagoda to him? They think he has passed already? He is alive as Doc said. But yeah, he is sick. But he's a strong guy. He's living. Bless him though.

A mi tuo Fo
    -Xing Jian

Comment

The pagoda is finished, and is absolutely beautiful. Something that "had to be done" in light of the political occurrences of the past few years...
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

thanks for your info. I just called my sifu about this news and he is at the moment a bit confused....

Cos he was told even the grave has been built. I guess he will be making a callto china later to find out.

The construction of Su Xi's pagoda before his death has nothing to do with the concept that "he died".

He hasn't.

You have to understand the politics that surrounded Shaolin upon Yongxin's ascension. The building of Su Xi's pagoda, and, a rather majestic and ornate one at that, has been viewed by some (and also imo), as a pacification move with respect to the other monks.

If this is confusing, you've got a lot of reading to do. Journals, Shaolin FAQ, and some of the Topics.

Shi Su Xi is still alive at this time.

russbo.com

Comment

Shi Su Xi is alive, but apparently is not doing so well. He has been in the hospital for the past few weeks.

As you already know, he suffers from a serious Parkinson's disorder. From what I've seen, and from what I've heard, his condition has deteriorated over the past few years.

This recent hospitalization, despite the "bubbly" news that might be floating around, does not necessarily portend good future prospects.

We wish him the best. He is without a doubt, a true Shaolin icon.

russbo.com

Comment

Sad news........

No Wonder De Yang is feeling it and has been ill ........ ( For those that don't know Shi Suxi is the great grand master of Chan buddhism at shaolin and De Yang is ( besides being "protecor of the scrolls" and possessor of Suxi gongfu ) his most obvious precedessor and imho , and one of his most legitimate students in terms of the chan legacy.
            On that a moment..... De yang is likely one of the greatest active icons of shaolin in all it's facets around today and in times when 'I" need to know someone's holding down some beliefs... knowing DeYang is out there and acting like he believes what we claim we know as truths --- ias comforting and just quietly a rare treasure when legitimate subscribers are so far and few.
            Back to Shi Suxi though, the has been growing old for a loong time and has for yrs had little energy to do much but sit anyway. ....... obviously his death is something that has been considered as something that is going to happen and needs to be planned for.

The pagoda is nice way to keep us fresh on the fact that shaolin is more than just gongfu political gripe and I don't know about the anti - Yong Xinists increasingly tiring relating all of shaolin and its tenet to himself ( quite clearly 2 totally seperate things btw ..latter subjective to its humanity ..as opposed to the mutual goal we apparently strive or just innately move twd ...despite our methods of getting there or how we understand the insights motivating each other to which particular action ) , but should Suxi pass.... I'll smile and reflect for having seen it anyway and frankly I just don't understand your trying to make a problem of it .....
            Fancy having monks out there who want to preserve a refocus point for us mere mortals anyway at times when shaolin is superficially subordinate to the prc's goals and political position , when peace to practice is harder and harder to find place and effort and committment to do and temples are being are destroyed and every one ' ( and their skills) have had to scatter again just to collect the jigsaw and perpetuate, preserve and be ourselves as shaolin spreads the globe! It's a tenet to preserve and increase the good ..... if a pagado get's one single person to investigate , discover and evolve.... then everyone grows and it's all good news.

Harsh comment Doc and sometimes you sound so struggling in your belief but ...what ( besides go meditate on your sutras ) do you say about a cynic?? ...... Mcdonalds anyone??

Blooming Lotus

Comment

Originally posted by doc
              [i]

You have to understand the politics that surrounded Shaolin upon Yongxin's ascension. The building of Su Xi's pagoda, and, a rather majestic and ornate one at that, has been viewed by some (and also imo), as a pacification move with respect to the other monks.

I did a quick google on this re the pagoda ( to get some idea of where certain ppl are comming from at the moment) and firstly, would you believe that the majority of what's available have all been published by (Docs Disciple brother ) Gene Ching ( www.kungfumagazine.com) for starters, but apparently ( not that we didn't know this already) but the reason the pagoda is enmeshed in contravery is because it is the first of it's kind to appear as Doc said grand and majestic...but covered in images of planes and cars and jets and laptops and other such modern parafenalia. If you are familiar with the buddhist philosphies relating to taking onmly what you need and detatchment from desire for surpluss and so on, I think that it's rather poinant that these images should be included on his tribute stone. It's a funny time in the evolution of shaolin twd western intergration and the actual goal that chan buddhism has to bring dhama to more ppl and in so doing increase our own spiritual progress and hopefululy leave the world this round a little closer to some permanent resolution and 'real' enduring peace ......

I think alot of ppl reeeally miss the point behind shaolin and unfortunately, uncommentabley or otherwise, we are all also human and unless you are one of these great souls who find themselves in a position to swing a non-secular set-up, you are going to be confronted with distractions and the very challenges that consequently you were meant to find there and the buddhism that often inconveniently resurfaces to nudge us back into the reality of what our point here really is and what at the end of the day is important.

I think I've probably said enough about it, but feel free to take a moment sometime soonish to consider your long waited spirit trapped in these bodies trying to get it's eternal rest in issue and energy resolution at it's earliest possible convenience. What a challenge for it to breakthrough an ego and get there by what we believe invloves getting others there first.....

good luck with that and happy and fun banalities interim.

Cheers

Blooming Lotus

Comment

What comment of mine was "harsh"?

russbo.com

Comment

What do you mean to "pacify" the monks" ???......

What are you saying ??? Yong Xin didn't want Suxi to have the pagoda ?? ( which because he's under PRC thumb (neccessarily and importantly to shaolin've been perpetuated thus far post CR revival to allow everyone else to move about freely 'rebelliously' to acheive what they so far have on behalf of shaolin ) would explain the carving theme but 'who' wants to pacify them and why do 'you' think that is???.......

Enlighten me . Please.

Comment

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus
                    What do you mean to "pacify" the monks" ???......

What are you saying ??? Yong Xin didn't want Suxi to have the pagoda ?? ( which because he's under PRC thumb (neccessarily and importantly to shaolin've been perpetuated thus far post CR revival to allow everyone else to move about freely 'rebelliously' to acheive what they so far have on behalf of shaolin ) would explain the carving theme but 'who' wants to pacify them and why do 'you' think that is???.......

Enlighten me . Please.
                    I'm not sure I understand this- double paranetheses and all...

But I'll take a stab, as I've been drinking.

Basically SYX seized control of Shaolin in a bloodless coup- well, it was bloodless by luck moreseo than anything else actually. I heard several people were out to get him, and even secured a shotgun. Puts the mercedes in perspective.

There is a whole family of monks who do not see SYX as the legitimate abbot- to be about as blunt as possible, and they don't appreciate the manner in which he has taken the abbocy much less what he's done with it- traditionally candidates are voted on not self appointed- the way he has been self aggrandizing and whoring out the name, and his money being made off their legacy, the subversion of 1500 plus years of Shaolin Ch'an tradition, etc. Did I miss anything...

Much of this family sees SSX as a symbolic anti-thesis to what SYX is, so to mollify them, SYX took the necessary political steps such as paying honor to the head of the family, giving SSX good face, and it makes SYX smell like roses all around, as he is on one hand giving a bone to the malcontents, and making himself look uber respectful of a living treasure to his own.
                    "Arhat, I am your father..."
                    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

BL, read post #4 above.

It might help you understand the issues. Start reading, LOL.

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc
                        BL, read post #4 above.

LOL.
                        Indeed ( rolleyes )...... can't guarantee I wont change my position on it, but I will check it out ...... Think I was playing at kfm.com in those days ( ??august 03 ) and missed tbe discussion you guys had here about it ...... Can we have that thread link again??? .........

Comment

I have open at the moment the Abbocy thread from 03, and I do in fact still stand by my previous position on this.

AS unfortunately irrelevant as it is, I don't particularly want to offend anyone here, but I sincerely don't thiink the majority of ppl are understanding neither the temple's nor Yong Xin's true position .

Let's say his gongfu 'was' so-so and that he didn't intially study at shaolin , in accordance with pre- Empiriical decline tradition for abbocy election; and xing zheng did and did again and presided in lieu of official seat appointment, when the prc decided to let shaolin operate under muesum status ands museum status alone until they bent and conceded to allow it become a tourist site, ( and baring in mind the law regarding the 4 olds and traditionalism and so on ) , as far as I can tell, to keep shaolin in a position to where it's expanded to now - for whereever shaolin actually "is " these days - certain comprimises had to be made and contingencies employed. You do what you have to , even in the face of shit being slung at you \from all directions, and here's this apparently way underqualified man in an enormously public spotlight, holding it diown to prc conformity expectations and demands to enable the 'real' work ( and lightening strike me for saying that ) to go on, whiich imo, tells more about Yong Xin's dedication to it all than if it were otherwise...and even if it is only $$ driving him.the role is neccessary for whatever function it's serving.......
                          Like I said... harsh and imo fairly superficially assessed conclusions you seem to've drawn there..but be welcomed to them. It's a shit job but thkfully, we have 'him'.

rolleyes....

cheers

Blooming tianshi Lotus
                          Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 09-13-2005, 03:03 AM.

Comment

are you daft?

this has to be one of the most amazing posts I have ever seen here.

you remind me of some know it all broad I came across on one of these forums who moaned for the poor abbot eating simple vegetarian dishes and being cooped up in his little fang zhang- that's the 10x10 room the position is named for by the way- she also could hide her own easter eggs, until several people came along and dispelled her nonsense as so much bullshit.

Anyway, your line of thought not only flies in the face of what is known and known independently through several Shaolin camps, which information is basically being presented here, it's also completely fallacious and not as they say, endowed with reason.

Let's be blunt, Shi Yong Xin is WHORING out your precious "Shaolin", weren't you just waxing and waning over Shi De Yang- if you knew some of the behind the scenes shit Doc and I are alluding to, you might be able to get a clue. You think the PRC is forcing monks to retake their fo, fa, sen, and SYX is just playing along so he can do the real work? That made me laugh!! The real work being cashing in Steve DeMasco's USSD checks?

No need to use the acronym, I am laughing my ass off (LMAO (at this mouth breathing shit.)

In case you didn't realize it, your pseudo "buddhist" ass just got smacked with what's called in the industry a STICK.
                            "Arhat, I am your father..."
                            -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

mm hmm... and we traditionalists appreciate it.... even when it's unjustified..

rolleyes and constitute me if you can. ........

You know that's not what I'm saying and I'm not just talking about Deyang doing the work either.... I was clear on that....

shaolin isn't something you own... it's something you carry inside of you as a belief and because ppl differ , so do their interperatations........ hence all the wars of shaolin related contraversy .......

As for previous statements of mine being "dispelled" by ppl with better information , ( like for example pressure points in WC ( and as it turns our nearly every tcma style that exists ) / "Ng mui introduciong presspure points to shaolin and so on ) it's just not true arhat that they proved otherwise as opposed to the evidence it took me 2 yrs + to find and you are right ... fools can be hard to suffer and I appreciate the gesture.....

Preparing for a fairly serious time at the moment so unfortunately not reeeally in the mood fopr bs, but thanks for trying to chew my as* out anyway ........ you remind me of an evil overbearing catholic Aunt I try to forget exists.....

For best impact though, next time you try that, you may want to start with something truthful... see , then you'll really get my attention!

cheers

BtL
                              Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 09-13-2005, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X