Back Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Pain

Hey, i have a back pain and my doctor told me to dont do movements witht the back, well the less possible. I was praticing Ba Duan Jin so can I do only the movements without back movements or its gonna be bad for the Qi circulation or anything else to dont do the complete form?
    =========
    Peace out!

It'll be worse for your qi circulation to further hurt your back by overdoing it than it will be to do subtler movements that don't bend your spine.

Listen to the doctor.

Incidentally where is the pain in your back? Is it in the lower back, or the upper? What's the pain like? Is it a dull aching pain over an area of your back? Or is it a sharp stabbing pain on a specific point in your back? Does the pain come and go, or is it always there? Does the pain move around or is it always in one place?

In chinese medicine, they say pain is always a symptom of stagnation (although lower back and knee pain can be due to various kidney deficiencies). What kind of stagnation depends on what kind of pain.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

It is in the lower back, the middle of the lower back, L4 or L5. The pain is there only when I bend the back. I saw four different clinics or doctor and they still dont have a complete diagnostic so I cant really tell you. Anyway i'll go in acupuncture someday but apparently i'll have that pain for at least still 3 months. :<

So I should dont do Qi Gong until my back is ok?
      =========
      Peace out!

Comment

Keep doing qigong, just don't bend your back when you do it.

Comment

also go see an acupuncurist now.

Also, if it turns out to be a herniated disc, don't let an M.D. talk you into surgery. Acupuncture and herbs can prolong the need for disc surgery indefinately by reducing the pressure on the disc, and once you get your first surgery on a herneated/ruptured disc, your entire back will start going out one disc at a time. Orthopedic surgery is often a nightmarism process that leads to more and more orthopedic surgeries.

And doc, before you jump on me about that, this is all stuff I've learned from an orthopedic surgeon who later became an acupuncturist. Trust me, it's true.

Comment

woh woh woh! I dont need surgery!
            =========
            Peace out!

Comment

but is it really the orthopedic surgery that causes that, or is it just that once a herniated disc appears, chances are more problems in the back are soon to follow?

Comment

If this is recurrent or ceaseless back pain, you should probably get an MRI to see what's going on.

And, avoid surgery if at all possible. I don't disagree with you Dao. Not at all.

In the meantime, rest, mild exercise, no axial compression, and swimming. Amazing what water does for these types of injuries.
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

Zachsan, the current surgical procedure for herneated/ruptured disc in the spine is to remove injured disc and to fuse the spine toghether in the two affected vertabrae. This takes all the pressure off the area, and usually releives most of the pain. For a little while. Eventually the disc fusion causes inordinate amounts of pressure on the discs on either side of the fusion, and within anywhere from several months to several years after the initial surgery, one of these discs will herneat and rupture. So whats left to do? MORE SPINAL FUSION! This process will get worse and worse the patient has no mobility in the affected area of their spine, or until they kill their surgeon and their own life because they couldn't take the chronic back pain.

Of course chen, you probably just have a small stress injury, and not a herneated disc. But still, go swimming everyday and see an acupuncturist twice a week.

Comment

Yeah, the doctor said that my spine is completly normal... I'm going to swim, rest, put ice 3 times a day, do some strength exercises and maybe see an acupuncturist. Daodejing, can you comment on what is a stress injury. One of the doctors i saw did an evalution of if i had stress fractures but his evalution was too fast, he said that i dont have that but im still not sure. What im suppose to do if its stress fractures?
                    =========
                    Peace out!

Comment

Oh and can acupuncture helps if my case is a stress fracture?
                      =========
                      Peace out!

Comment

Working...
                      X