log rolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• log rolling

Basically what it is, there is this log, that's put in the pool, and two people get on either end and try and spin people off. I was wondering if this could be used for martial arts training. I was thinking it would be cool for like staff sparring. Also, I've seen like a big plastic polygon at parks or something.
    http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

I've used a long bench about a foot wide and two people stand on it then practice techniques to grab or push and throw the other person off. It helps balance because it's not a wide bench and is not stable.

Also I had a log cut from a tree that is used sometimnes to carry and run with. And sometimes to stand on and walk down doing kicks. With the odd shape of the tree it makes it very unstable and easy to roll off. So it really helps balance and coordination when kicking.

I think those are both about the same idea as you had but it's more empty hand training than weapons.

A mi tuo Fo
    -Xing Jian

Comment

Standing on a log that's floating in water, is a much different thing than standing on a bench that's a foot or two above the ground. The injuries that are sustainable by falling off a bench can be far more serious. Plus, the thing about the log in the water, is that it rolls, which makes if far more difficult to stay on.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest that anyone get on a bench and push people off. Falling wrong can lead to some pretty nasty fractures. Same thing with the mei hua jong (sp?) that they "use" in Shaolin.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

We have mats on either side of the bench. But they don't try to throw the guy off really hard. More like just getting them off balance. Most people land on their feet. But if not, they learned how to fall before going on there. And if they don't do it right, I hope they read over their contract they signed. But really, everyone lands on their feet. We mostly practice Mantis grabs on there and try to feel energy and pull them off without moving much. There are mats and people standing around. I'd say it's pretty safe anyway. They don't hip toss people off the bench.

And the log on the floor to walk down and kick, it rolls. Especially when you kick. But again, everyone lands on their feet if they fall off. No one has fallen on the ground.

A mi tuo Fo
        -Xing Jian

Comment

Oh, and the bench isn't very wide. So it can be hard to stay on while working techniques. The log in the water would be too hard to stay on to even strat a technique. You would be off too soon. It moves and rolls and goes up and down. And is most likely wet. You wouldn't be able to do much on there.

Comment

Basically, what inspired me of this is, that people have competitions log rolling. Where two people get on a log, and try and spin the other person off the log. The really good people are able to reverse it. I haven't done it myself, but there competitions like this in the are where I live. I was thinking this would improve balance.
            http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

Comment

it would definitely improve your "remaining on spinning log floating in water" skills, which will prove invaluable when fighting blue water ninjas on rolling logs.

Comment

Working...
              X