which martial art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which martial art

im 36 years old and im training in taekwondo.ive been thinking about going to china to learn kung fu .i wanted to know if kung fu takes longer to learn and if its more complicated to learn than taekwondo?? im 36 years old so its not like i go forever to learn and become good at a martial art.

Crap, I just typed a long response and it was gone but here's a summary of what i said before. I have a few years experience in taekwondo and other stuff. In my opinion you can learn taekwondo in a couple of years but kungfu will take much much much longer than that. When I started training shaolin, i thought that i could adjust well but not really, i had to "unlearn " what I knew. I thought the stances & kicks would be a bit similar but not really. For example, when I learned a front stance in tkd let's picture that you're in a rectangle, the left foot will go to the top left corner of the rectangle and the right foot will go to the lower right of the rectangle but a front stance(Gongbu) in shaolin both heels are in a straight line. Some of the stances are much lower in tkd requiring more leg strength and flexibility. I don't remember what else I put down but good luck to you. Just train hard and you'll adjust well.
    Amithaba

Comment

Use notepad next time while you are typing a long response. Then you won't lose it like that.

Comment

LoL yah i learned my lesson.
        Amithaba

Comment

Before I get into my ranting, I'm gonna make an assumption. My assumption is that Tae Kwon Do is Karatedo with a tendency to kick more. If you disagree, then keep that in mind for my response.
          First, looking at the forms of Tae Kwon Do and (notice I don't use versus) King-Fu, there is a slight difference. My experience is that Karatedo/Tae Kwon Do has definite breaks of movements and points of focus for attacks and defence. When it comes to Kung-Fu, the focal points and breaks are less visible and some forms seem to move continuously until all blasted 200 steps are done. While this does not absolutely lead to this result, I think Kung-Fu forms of equal length are much more tiring do perform than Karatedo/Tae Kwon Do.
          Second, not to start an argument, but I generally felt that many Kung-Fu forms reach lower levels than Tae Kwon Do. Horse stance is horse stance, and when good, gets 90 degrees. But say Pu Bu, Tae Kwon Do doesn't even have that, not bashing, but that's a pretty low stance. And the cat stance of some Shaolin forms go far lower than anything Tae Kwon Do attempts.
          Lastly, time of training. Of course that's up to you, who knows, you might be a Kung-Fu natural. If not, there are more things to learn in Kung-Fu so that's a no brainer. Quick history lesson, Tae Kwon Do as we know it is a combination of pieces of Taekyon and 4th degree level Shotokan Karatedo. Karatedo in general is some Okinawan invention and fragments of Shaolin. And while I might be wrong, the advanced techniques of Karatedo, pretty much come out to be the intermediate of Shaolin.
          Thanks for the patience of reading this. If you disgree, tell me, that's for anyone. And for you mean ppl out there, I'm not spewing....nonsense. I am taking Tae Kwon Do and Karatedo.

Comment

I think you might be right, on some things. It depends on the teacher he has had too. You might want to to learn some softer art. From what I know of TKD, they do alot of sparring.
            http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

Comment

thank for your reply's it gives me some things to think about.i just wish they had some type of school for taekwondo like they have for kung fo in china.

Comment

I don't understand why you have to "unlearn" a MA to be able to learn a new one. if you are already adept at TKD, wouldn't you want to keep some of it ? Especially since most ppl seem to beleive TKD kicks are superior to most other MA kicks.

I think, from a intellectual point of view, for I have not done much MA yet other than my couple weeks of kung-fu (though I have been on a reading rampage of books and websites on different styles ever since I started), the more hybrid you make ur technique, the more effective it will be.

Of course then it doesn't necessarily become "traditional" kung-fu, but then again, if MA are meant to develop and learn about our spirit and body, and we all have different spriitual and physical capabilities, each person's style should be different.

Wow, I think I went totally off subject here...sorry.

Comment

Working...
                X