Da/XiaoHong Chuen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Da/XiaoHong Chuen

Okay, i've noticed some more variations in these forms.

Shao Hong chuen- how come students from the Houston schools (apparently all of them) do this form different than how it is taught in other places? Generally, all the Xiao Hong Chuen footage I've seen has been kind of consistent except when i saw the version that the schools in Houston practice. All the moves are there, but in different order and some stuff like the single whip and elbow+block things done after the kicks are only done once on each side and one after the other.

As for Da Hong Chuen, i noticed this summer that the form was also very different from and Da Hong Chuen i had ever seen (no, Doc, its not like the one you have in the slideshow).

Anyone else notice this?

There's two Da Hong Chuan's floating around. One is a two hundred step plus form, split up into three seperate sections, of which the first is generally taught. The other is the original, which is not generally taught.

As for Shao Hong Chuan, I don't know what they teach in Houston. The shao hong chuan you see in the slideshow in this forum is generally considered to be the traditional one. You might find minor variations from school to school however.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Doc, there's an old Chinese book on Hong Quan that Joseph Crandall has translated and it shows 3 Da Hong Quan forms.

I think Da Hong is not just a form but a style that got assimilated into Shaolin and it has multiple forms.

Comment

The three forms together make one big form. That's what Doc was trying to say. And it isn't the ancient original Da Hong Quan. The one that looks much like Xiao Hong Quan. And is on this site, in a slideshow. These Da Hong Quan forms which together make one large form don't look related at all to Xiao Hong Quan. They are more modernly made forms that the ancient orignal Da Hong Quan.

A mi tuo Fo
        -Xing Jian

Comment

Hmm, I see.

Which Da Hong is this then? Is it one of the 3 parts or the older one?

Comment

houston shao hung chang...mostly u see us houston guys do the short shao hung chang..24 posture one i believe..and the one u generally see..is this long version...i forgot how many postures or wutever..but yeah..u see most of the houston people do the short version

Comment

and for da hung chang....i know two verison of da hung chang..one is da one in that video..and the other is a different one...why is there 2 version..i guess i dont know hahahahaha i jus know i know two versions of da hung chang

Comment

I have learned shaolin kungfu from different masters.Everyone has a style! For example,some of them stand in lower stances,and some of them stand in higher stances.I have learned wubu quan from a master,and xiaohong chuan from another an so on.But my question is,is it ok if I learn forms from different masters,even if it was from different styles?
                I use to study shaolin kungfu in saudi arabia,There was a lot of shaolin monks there.I learned many forms there,then I came to london.I study shaolin kungfu now in the shaolin temple uk,and there are many masters there,every one teaches different from the other,So is it ok if I learn an old form and a modern forms
                [mix}.

Comment

It doesn't matter. Just absorbed the techniques you learn. You can learn that from each person. They way you do it won't mean much. Seeing how so many monks do them differently anyway. So don't worry about that. Just absorb the techniques from the forms. You may learn a different variation which has a new technique in it. So you can always learn new things from the same form from different people. It's all good.

A mi tuo Fo
                  -Xing Jian

Comment

Okay, well here's a question.

For the people who are learning the shorter versions- do you get to learn the longer versions later? I personally would like to know the traditional forms, and i guess i would be kind of disappointed to settle for an abbreviated version of the stuff. I guess, im not trying to badmouth anyone, i'm just wondering if this ever gets under your skin. Can you ask to learn the traditional ones?

This is different from the whole thing about whether you'r learning the original Da hong Chuan or the original, or like whether you're learning the real Da Luohan...I'm talking about the situation where you are being openly taught a short version of the whole traditional form.

just curious.

Comment

Actually, it's very common for foreigners to learn the "short" version. You especially find this when people go on tours to Shaolin. They're told that they learn Shao Hong Chuan, but in reality, they're learning this 20 step form that has some of the highlights, not the 70 step real traditional one. It's a common practice. We do it at our school in Vegas, not because we want to deceive people, but because we START with the shorter version. We add to it later. As for the other schools, they might be doing the same thing, or, and I'm not sure about this, remember, lots of these guys are younger generation, who might have just learned the shorter version. I don't know, but keep in mind my recent observation of the wushu guan performance team. They only knew about four or six forms each; they learned some of the basic forms, but concentrated on the three that they needed to know for their performances. You're seeing this trend with the younger generation monks; how widespread this is, is unknown to me.
                      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                      russbo.com

Comment

70 steps..?? I thought the full xiao hong quan was 57 or so steps?

Comment

This 'short version' you guys are referring to - is it literally an 'abridged' version, or just the first bit up until mabu when you punch both directions simultaneously; which many people teach.

Back in the holy land, chow. I'll check out your dude soon. And let me know if you're coming up.

And Vince, I'm trying to mail you. Does your email work?

Comment

I think your right lipster! some of them teach xiaohong chuan's first half,they finish in the mabu stance with two punches in both directions.Thats what they do in the shaolin temple uk.There is a new dvd for master shi yan lei,he only tought the first half of xiaohong chuan.
                            Is this what do you teach in your school in vegas Doc ?

Comment

Right, I think Yanzi’s rationale is that once you can do the first half efficiently (on his standards), and worked out the applications then you'll be ready to move on. We don't really do much form practice in STUK. Too many people train in forms without knowing a tenth of their applications. Perhaps he wants to restrict this...

Comment

Working...
                              X