Push Ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push Ups

i was wondering what muscles do push ups strengthen? also is doing push ups on one's knuckles an effective way of conditioning kncuckles?

pectoralis major, anterior deltoid, trapezius, latismus dorsi, triceps brachii, and perhaps some others.

Knuckle pushups do strengthen the knuckles, but in my experience, knuckle pushups are used to condition the wrists and not so much to condition the knuckles.

If you're under 18 years old, do not do knuckle pushups because it can result in epiphyseal plate injury. Epiphyseal plate injuries suck ass. They can cripple you for life.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

so then what kind of exercises can one do to condition kncuckles?

Comment

Get a punching bag of some sorts! Also a trick I learned if you are are somwehere without equipment is to make a fist with one hand, and a keep the other hand open like you are going to chop something. Punch the muscle you chop with and it will condition your knuckles and chop pad at the same time. Remember to alternate hands.

Comment

I wouldn't waste my time "conditioning" knuckles. Human bone is very hard and does not require it. When you hit another person all you need is to throw your fist with kungfu force and structure. That is unless you are punching down walls for a living. Then condition. lolo

Comment

If you want to condition your knuckles, just do what Master Pan does; beat on steel plates all day.
            Then you'll have the biggest, ugliest knuckles in town

Comment

plus if you have those horny knuckles like PQF you could rock the sickest threads...

ever.
              "Arhat, I am your father..."
              -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Ha, what's up Caifan. It's Damian. About time you started posting, hahaha.
                a true gongfu system must have the four major aspects of combat to be complete, "striking", "Kicking", Chin'na (joint-locking), and Shuai-Jiao (Wrestling)... in addition it must combine the internal with the external...

Comment

Hmm more unwashed mexicans? What's happening to this poor forum.... If bill cosby didn't have such a preoccupation with thai hookers, he'd set things straight.
                  Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Is there still an occupation opening with them?

Comment

Ha, well, you must first lure Cosby in with a hefty portion of Jell-O Pudding... he can't resist... hmm, unless you got a Thai Hooker and rubbed Jell-O Pudding all over her!
                      a true gongfu system must have the four major aspects of combat to be complete, "striking", "Kicking", Chin'na (joint-locking), and Shuai-Jiao (Wrestling)... in addition it must combine the internal with the external...

Comment

Stop it...

Comment

Haha, okay man, if you say so. (Notice these latests posts have NOTHING to do with the main topic, "Push Ups", hahahaha...)

Comment

if you want a harder fist training is kinda long and tedious as well as slighty dangerous so you have to know how to pull or snap your punch at the right time. but pretty much find a brick wall a pole or a post and punch it. not your hardest but a nice clean jab also again i will say not hard! only so it stings your skin, if you feel pain in your wrist or in the bones in your hands give it a rest till tomorrow or adjust striking power, you can even just barely tap the surface repeatedly. what this does is strengthen the skin over your knuckles, then soon you can punch whatever it is harder and strengthen the fist and wrist elbow shoulder etc., remember not too hard at first, also keep your fist wrist elbow and shoulder in a straight line at shoulder height from the shoulder to increase solidity and prevent injury. im no master but it worked for me, its what i like to call the poor mans training technique since i cant afford a punching bag, those are for weenies anyway, ill take an oldschool training post over a gay ass heavy bag anyday.
                            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

I wouldn't recommend any of that....

get a heavy bag, some gloves, some raps... and go at it..

I'm usually more worried about wrist strength.

If you want to condition your hands, find someone good with iron palm. Another good thing to condition you hands is to do pushups on your fingers... This will give you good strength. Also, a good thing to do is strengthen your grip.. there are a lot of ways of doing this. But please don't hit walls and trees and such, I think you'd just be asking for problems in the future and in the short term.

those are for weenies
                              weenies that want to know how to actually punch something, except for air and an inmovable object...

practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                              X