western style boxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• western style boxing

There's this older man at the studio I train at. He's very much into boxing. I've been talking to him about fighting stuff.

-using the bag slow down
    -most people fight they don't breath
    -punch straight, hips straight
    -his favorite weapons of choice, ice pick in a brown bag
    -going to a play pool, take a pool cube, going to a barbeuce take a knife,
    http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

It's true, most people when they box don't breathe properly. You lose energy that way.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Well, some things he showed me are quite similiar to thing learning in Karate, and other stuff. He's an older "gentleman". I like learning from people like that. He says he likes being around younger people because older people are so negative or something like that.

Comment

He also showed me how to jump rope, a few different ways.

Comment

Sometimes I make bets with friends during the first round of a boxing match, about who will win. I judge this entirely off of who is breathing better, and not who is punching better.
          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

do you win?

Comment

I really like working on the speed bag. Gets me into a rhythm.

I was also thinking too of the applications of wrestling. I mean, one wouldn't go right in, but if someones close, then I would see the applications of it. I was thinking one could use the boxing to get in, then use the wrestling to stop the opponent.

You know I was thinking, if ones fighting an armed opponent, do you really want to do kicks. I can see where the hand strikes can be benifital.
              "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

if you are fighting an armed opponent you probably want to use your legs, but not to kick. and the western boxing/wrestling combo has been called all kinds of things from "shootfighting" to "submission fighting" to "freestyle" to "a night out in philly".

Comment

Originally posted by agreenknight
                  Well, some things he showed me are quite similiar to thing learning in Karate, and other stuff. He's an older "gentleman". I like learning from people like that. He says he likes being around younger people because older people are so negative or something like that.

Older people negative?

Nah.
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                  russbo.com

Comment

Zachsan, the 'night out in philly' approach generally involves the above details, plus a stealth pair of Knuckles or large group of people to help you stomp someone.

Comment

I know this dosent have much to do with boxing, but since the thing is generally under mixed martial arts, i did some playing around last week with some Judo and some greco-roman wrestling (our university team; im assuming thats what it is). I did really good against the Judo guy, he is a second level black belt from Japan. In one case, i really got him with the classical bagua two-directional thing (basically a throw) he got up and excitedly told me what i had just done (which was really cool because thats exactly what i wanted to do). Having said that, though, he Ipponed me a good few times. Heh, it kind of reminded me of this year's olympics except in this case the Israeli actually pulled something off on the Japanese guy, lol.

But when it came to the wrestlers (who were unusually friendly for wrestlers) i got owned. However, this may have been because i had just practiced with the judo people for almost 2 hours and was really fricken tired. I have to say tho, tired or not, that wrestler was good. I'm going to try practice with them next week (this week i have tests to study for- DOC I HATE GENETICS!! I'm sure you can appreciate that. damn ratios...), im looking forward to an interesting practice.

Comment

some people consider greco-roman wrestling to be an "unusually friendly" sport.

and levittown, that's very true. one should not overlook the "night out in south philly" approach, either, which is very similar, but often includes the ice-pick-in-a-brown-liquor-bag mentioned in the first post of this thread.

btw, how bout dem eagles?

Comment

How bout dem E A G L E S!
                          I'm happy thus far.
                          Shame I can't say the same for PSU football.

another one to be included is "suburban hoodz night out in Philly" this involves 4 dudes in someone's moms Yukon, a bag of drugs and tryin to walk down south st. feeling tough, without starting a fight.

Comment

lol

Comment

hey, that was post no. 666! cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X