Schools in Philly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schools in Philly?

Anybody have suggestions about Kung Fu schools in the Philly area?
    Other than the Seven Mountain Spirit Fist mentioned, I've heard of a Hung Gar school in Chinatown, but I really don't know anything about either school.
    Any help is appreciated.

i used to go the hung gar school in chinatown. it's a great place, sifu cheung shu pui knows what he's doing and he's got a lot of students that do as well.

it's not too expensive by gongfu standards at about 90 bucks a month, and for that amount you get to go as many days as you like, monday through saturday. the weekday classes are 7-9 and i forget when the saturday class was (i never went to that one, i was always hungover). you can show up at 8:30 to the night class if you want but you'll get yelled at if you try to leave anytime before 9:00.

anyway it's a good place. i stopped going because of money, but if you can afford it it's a good deal. (keep in mind also that they get you with the price of all the gongfu "accessories"... you have to get pants, a shirt and a sash from the school for a total of around 100 bucks, and you have you buy your own black tennis shoes). your legs will burn, and whether or not you're chinese, you'll have to learn the lion dance, but that's a great workout too.

there's also a school in south philly that i've read about online (i forget the url, sorry) that's a lot cheaper, but, well, it's in south philly.

Comment

Hey,

The Mantis school of boxing is located on 48th and baltimore in west side, above, jeez.... I've been away a while, ummm, can't believe I can't remember the name....whatever it's a pizza place.

Sifu Bill Whitaker is a friend and teacher of mine. He's a brash, hard man, with a big persoan and equally big heart -- a person who I actually never thought could teach me so much just from being himself. He's done a great deal for the area of west philly. I have deep feelings for him and many of the classmates there. If you say that I told you about the school online, well, I'm sure he'd be very pleasantly surprised. I left the school to travel and study, but was one of his first students at the 48th street location. There are classes 5 days a week. You can attend all of them. On thursday afternoon before gung fu classes start one of the gymnastics teachers, Ron, from Temple U comes down in order to teach the kids that participate in an after school program there. He teachers the street tumbling kids to how to flip with technique, and also gets them off the street in the meantime. Many gong fu students enjoy to do it as well , cause basically Sifu Bill has them rolling around all the time anyhow.

Sifu Bill has been studying since he was a young boy. He's pretty proficient in hung gar, as he studied it for many years before Master Ho Tsong Yuan invited him to learn from him.. He teaches mantis at the school to most students, but more advanced students begin to learn monkey and di gung, which he currently trains in under Master Ho, a Taiwanese, at Ho's Academy in Harleysville, PA.

Of course if you have transportation I highly recommend Master Ho as a teacher, and the school, like the Mantis school, is full of love and heart, with a certain character of it's own. It's well worth the trip. Not sure what the fee is. Ho's Academy--- (215) 256-4510. There is no websight or anything, for he seems to do his best at keeping a low key, though he does sit as the chair of the kuoshu federation.. And I've lived both in China and Taiwan, yet still to this day just haven't witnessed the looseness of power which he's capable of generating.. He's the kind of teacher that when he talks, people listen, and more times than not walk away with something pretty darn eye opening.

You can check out the Northern gong fu website at www.nshaolin.com if you'd like, a brother school of the Mantis school. The teacher is Sifu Clayton Shiu, and you can check out the lineage and some write ups on Master Ho there.

Be well,

Greg
      ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Thanks to both of you, I really appreciate reco's from places you've actually trained at.

Comment

wow

someone have told you,I wish I can help you later.

Comment

I really prefer onsp's school?
            How about fee per month?

Comment

Working...
            X