conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conditioning

Is it safe to do really light conditioning? I mean something like dropping your palms, and forearms onto a stack of paper covered in a towel. Will that help, or will I get hurt. I don't want to damage my fingers so if people think this is a bad idea I will not even start.

I harden my hands fists and forearms with a live tree. I'm still alive.

Really, whatever you do just be careful and start slow and build it up over longer time of training.

Comment

CLF is your style green? CLF is known for hitting sand bags/wooden dummys

besides that, shaolin is an external school of gung fu, so conditioning is definately part of training

imho, you first should condition your arms/hands solo before you move on to harder objects like makiwara or trees etc

a good way to do this is like i posted in another thread, use knife hand on your first row of knuckles, make tight fist with one hand and knife hand that fist, make sure the fist curves inward, towards you, so you can smack it head on

for fingertips/palm make a cranes beak and hit the opposite palm

for forearms, just bang em together, make sure you hit the right, left and top part of the forearm, stay away from hitting the bottom, really you just want to condition the bone to make it denser, also though the skin and ligaments/tendons get conditioned

definately though, start slow, and work your way up..use dit da jow and really massage it deep into bruises or sore areas, dragon balm works good to

amitabha
      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I can't get dit da jow, could I use a plant that I grow that I know works for soreness, and poison ivy. I also saw someone suggest dandelions. I also can't get rice wine, but would rubbing alcohol be an alright substitute?

Comment

The excercise you mentioned sounds fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

My hands are fine, still relatively soft, and pliable enough to do swedish massage. And I have a history of boxing concrete walls........

And as if it needs to be said, palm trees are actually much harder than oaks. Don't start off by hitting palm trees. Start with maples. And wear a sweatshirt when you start smacking your forearms on trees. It will save you alot of blood and skin.

If it hurts alot, you're probably not doing it right. If its just a bit sore that's cool, let it heal. Get some good dit da jow.
          Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

What are you going to do with poison ivy?? And dandelions?
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

I you have internet access, you can get dit da jow. Honestly I can't see any good coming of using poision ivy topically or internally, and dandelions are more of a mellow blood detoxifier, they wont help your muscles and tendons with conditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by green
                I can't get dit da jow, could I use a plant that I grow that I know works for soreness, and poison ivy.
                i think he was saying that this particular plant helps for pain and for poison ivy.

Comment

Originally posted by daodejing
                  I you have internet access, you can get dit da jow.
                  Where? Can you recommend me a good place?

Comment

Shop from the world's largest selection and best deals for traditional weapons. Shop with confidence at Wing Lam Enterprises store! High quality weapons, apparel, training materials, and more.

when using jow or dragon balm for bruises and such, you really need to massage them in deep, because its the massage effect that gets rid of the bad fluids and gets rid of the stagnant blood, and the jow helps send blood to the effected area, among other things

wing lams jow is made specifically for Iron Palm, the recipe is passed down from ku yu cheong, thats why it says "secret" but its definately good stuff for conditioning

amitabha

Comment

I don't live in the states. Does anyone know of something in europe?

Comment

I thought I posted this yesterday but it didn't take. I think they do international delivery Asger.

Comment

i found that website awhile ago, i never bought there jow though

it seemed to wierd, they make alot of different kinds that seem to be more about flashy names, but i have never tried there stuff, is it any good?

amitabha

Comment

yeah it seems a little suspicious. they are calling one of them "Little Forest" and stating that it is what shaolin means... lol
                            Does anyone know how to write dit da jow in pinyin btw?

Comment

I've just found a jow recipe using plants that americans and europeans will be able to find in their natural environment. I want you to review the ingredients so that I can be sure it's not a fiddle.
                              I know all the plants and where to find them in the forest.. This will be educational to make, and hopefully safe to use??

btw, what is "breadstraw"?

Comment

Working...
                              X