style differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• style differences

What's the difference between hung gar, and gung fu?
    http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

lol, whyd you single out hung ga?

there is no difference, hung ga is from southern shaolin;

Shop from the world's largest selection and best deals for traditional weapons. Shop with confidence at Wing Lam Enterprises store! High quality weapons, apparel, training materials, and more.

hope that helps

amitabha
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Re: style differences

Originally posted by agreenknight
      What's the difference between hung gar, and gung fu?
      Hung Gar is a Gongfu style so Hung Gar is Gongfu.

Comment

What's the difference between a square and a rectangle?

A square is a specific type of rectangle, therefore all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

Same as your question, same answer.
        Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Well, I guess you clarified THAT for him.

LOL
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

it's gonna be great when dao has kids. "daddy, why is the sky blue?" "well, son, we have to start with the question of how you relate existentially with the concept of color..."

Comment

speaking of which, i cant wait till Zachsan's kids meet Dao's.
              Last edited by dogchow108; 08-31-2004, 10:27 PM.

Comment

hmm, interesting, so hung gar is gun fu? So what's the difference between hun gar and wushu?
                http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

Comment

Aha, well now you struck the nail on the head.

Comment

Depends what you mean by wushu. Do you mean wushu as in the chinese term that just means "martial art" or wushu in the sense of communized acrobatic martial arts forms competition?
                    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Let's just say it out. Gong Fu is the term for traditional Chinese Martial Arts. Wu Shu is the term used for modern performance of Martial Arts. Even though it means litterally "martial arts", people understand it as the performance with all the flashy moves of traditional martial arts plus acrobatics. It's not meant for fighting or anything. Though it can be used that way. It is still based on traditional Chinese Martial Arts, but it is used only for performance. Wu Shu was invented to make this traditional part of Chinese culture a performance and a sport for people to have fun with and come to watch. If you know, comrades should not fight comrades. So Martial Arts were made into a sport.

Hung Gar is a style of traditional Chinese Martial Arts. Therefore it is Gong Fu. It is not for performance like Wu Shu. It's a Martial Art based on traditional methods of self defense. Simple as that.

A mi tuo Fo
                      -Xing Jian

Comment

Originally posted by xing_jian108

Simple as that.

except that hung Gar is Wushu....

(I had to, im sorry)

Comment

Actually, I wouldn't make that distinction as if it were a "truth".

Depends on who you talk to... Yes most people when they here wushu, think contemporary, and when they think gong fu, they think classical, but to be clear...

Gong fu is a term often used to describe classical chinese martial arts, including hung gar. It can however be used to describe any skill attained in time. You'll here an analogy often that says a concert violinist has good gong fu in playing the violin.

Wushu on the other hand, in literal terms means martial art. Of which you can classify any martial art, of any geographic origin. Most people however, use the term to describe a contemporary form of martial arts developed for taolu competition in China, which uses more acrobatics and such than traditional styles.
                          practice wu de

Comment

Isn't this what I explained first of all?

Comment

Isn't this that one thing that people have repeated over and over and OVER in every conceivable scenario where the words "wushu" and "kung fu" have been used in the same sentence?

Comment

Working...
                              X