how many forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many forms

I was reading about the monks on this website and one of them it seemed the article said they knew too many forms, and couldn't be a master because of that. For a normal person, how many forms are good? How long should you wait to the next one? How long for them all overall? If you do wushu should you learn more than if you do traditional?

What are your goals?
    practice wu de

Comment

There is one master in Shaolin, or, was in Shaolin, who only knew Shao Hong Chuan. Not a monk, I don't think. Just a villager.

Devastating undefeated fighter.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Do you think that everyone should learn one form? I mean is that the best way. How many moves are in the form that villager did?

Comment

Well, there are plenty of martial arts that have exactly zero forms. So really, I guess you don't need any. It all depends on what you want to do. If want to learn how to fight, forms are good for solo practice, especially if you are new to martial arts and have zero coordination and conditioning. As for how many to learn, it all depends on what opportunities you have and how much you like doing forms. There are plenty of people who like to do forms and aren't remotely interested in fighting....in such cases, there's no problem with learning tons of forms.

As for myself, I have probably learned 40 forms. However, I only practice 4 of them daily: shaohongquan, tongbeiquan, bengbu, and a footwork drill from aikido. Occasionaly I practice a couple of weapon forms for fun. I wouldn't worry....practice what you've been taught, and don't be afraid to reassess your training at any moment.
          -Jesse Pasleytm
          "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

I've learned around fourteen or fifteen shaolin forms, and god knows how many Seidokan and Kempo ones over the years.

Right now, I concentrate solely on the complete Da Lohan. Just not interested in the other ones at this time.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

forms usually teach you a number of things that can take years and years to master, for example, alot of forms will introduce different ways of striking, like whipping power or cun power or whatever, and then the moves will teach grappling, siezing and locking(qin na) techniques, all kinds of **** basically, and most people think theyve 'mastered' those things because they can do the form well..and thats just not true

to say that doing few forms is better, im not so sure, umm, really it depends on alot of variables, but it comes down to what you want out of the training, if u want to fight good with gung fu techniques etc you gotta train hard and smart* everyday(you cant train over and over incorrectly and think youll advance), you also cant baby your training, you have to take the initiative to understand each move and the different applications etc you shouldnt rely on your instructor because in the past you had to figure it all out for yourself, so that you understood it and it became second nature and you have to understand the shape of technique is just the begining, in a live situation you have to give life to your gung fu

anyway, good luck
              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

You don't want to be a jack of all forms and a master of none.
                Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go practice my broadsword, 3 sectional, cane, fan, and crutch forms....(I just can't resist a new weapon)

Comment

I actually see nothing wrong trying to learn as many different forms as you can, without mastering one. It depends upon what your goals are. If you want to perform, learn one, (which is common at the temple now, lol). If you want to try to understand the art of Shaolin and all that it encompasses, try as many as you can. There's so much to the art, that you will never experience it all.

russbo.com

Comment

How do you remember so many, when you don't practice them everyday? If I go a few days without practicing one in particular I have to do it several times when I start again or it looks screwed up. Like I forget little parts, or lift the wrong foot. When you say it is possible to try as many as I can, how much time would you suggest putting in between each? How many times should I perform it before trying a new one? Should I practice each one every day? I don't just want to perform, I would like to experiance alot like you say. I would like to learn, and practice as traditionally as possible, but not be forced to do poorly in school and other things because of this.

Comment

My own preference is to study the move, not just practice. Most teachers, at least the ones I studied with, provide enough ifo that a move can be studied for a week or so. connecting the mind, thought processes and memory with the physical seems to help remembering how a move works. Following the old prep school rule, every hour of class requires three hours for an A helps a lot. I figure, with a half hour class twice a week I study T'ai chi 3-6 hours a week. Granted, it cuts down on party time, but I can live with that.

Comment

I know many forms and this is what I do:

I practice my forms everyday. Just whatever forms I feel like practicing. But I take a couple of forms each week to focus on and I practice them to perfect them. Each week I will do this with other forms. But all along still going through some other forms.

There are four levels of practicing forms:

Level 1: learning the forms and putting the movements together.

Level 2: adding power and speed to the forms.

Level 3: practicing on uneven ground, slippery ground, or on the side of a hill where balance and coordination is tested. Most forms are in a straight line and can be practiced ontop a wall or more safely, a curb. Such as Wu Bu Quan.

Level 4: practicing the forms on the opposite side. Where you would normally start on the left side stepping with the left foot first or however the form goes. Start on the right side with the right foot first. This helps your coordination so much and allows your body to be "smart". To know how to move on both sides making you a more effective fighter. And it's like giving you a new form. If you know one form, you can have two out of it.

After you can do all four levels completely with ease, such as level four on uneven ground at full speed and power, you can say you have master this form. But that is only the form. Mastering the techniques from the forms call for sparring and testing it out in a real situation.

A mi tuo Fo
                        -Xing Jian

Comment

If I can fit it in during the week, I like to work on shorter forms one night and longer forms on another night later in the week. There are also certain times during the week when I always practice my weapon forms so that I keep them pretty sharp.
                          It's really up to the individual as to how many forms to learn/practice. Some people can pick a form up very quickly and then remember it forever; the rest of us are not so lucky. It just depends on your comfort level.
                          Very good advise about learning the form on both sides.

Comment

Working...
                          X