question on gung fu brothers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on gung fu brothers

Can one have gung fu brothers without being a disciple? I don't think discipleship is right for me. But I think it would be interesting to have people to train with. Just curious, wanted to throw this one out there.
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Having a Gong Fu brother is just having a training partner. Close to you in the martial arts family. Just like a real brother you help each other out and train together. This is your Gong Fu brother. You don't need to be a disciple or whatever. But every Gong Fu school calls the teacher Shi Fu or Sifu. The "fu" part means father. He's the head of the class, family. Then you have a bunch of Shi Di (lil bro), Shi Xiong (older bro), Shi Mei (lil sis), Shi Jie (older sis)... then some other relationships through there. But anyway, the person you learn from is like your father or mother depending on their sex. Then all the people you train with are your martial arts family. Your Gong Fu brothers and sisters. And even posting here, we are all brothers and sisters. Get the idea? It's not only a Buddhist disciple/monk thing.

A mi tuo Fo
    -Xing Jian

Comment

It can be more than a training partner. In fact, Shi Xing Hong many years ago threw me for a complete loop when he was introducing me to some people in Shaolin; one girl in particular was mentioned, on many occasions, to be his sister. It wasn't until the following year that he had told me that the girl was his "gong fu sister". Because some of these people leave their real families at young ages, and grow up in these schools, sometimes not seeing their real families for many years, they develop strong familial like attachments to the other kids in their class, as xingjian mentions. The relationship between gong fu brothers and sisters can be just as strong, if not stronger, than real family attachments.

With respect to disciples, you can be gong fu brothers with others who share your master.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies, alot people in american, might not have alot of family around them where they live. So I see it where friends become like family. I think it's good to have different people to train with, because then you have a larger prospective.
        "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Working...
        X