Buying swords online.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying swords online.

I'm thinking about getting a nice carbon steel or combat steel jian, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice. So far I'm looking specifically at something from Hanwei or Longchuan forges, and i won't spend more than 200 usd, preferably between 100-150.

Has anyone bought combat steel taiji jian from either of these forges before?

I'm looking at the following models in particular. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows a supplier who sells hanwei/longquan swords for cheaper than the prices on these links, let me know.

Also considering this broadsword.......

So let me know if you have any thoughts, and if anyone actually owns any of these swords, please tell me what you think about it.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Forget about the king yue sword and the other one....the balance of those swords is too much forwards and very hard for your wrist to practice with. The practical hanwei has the best balance...for me.... But maybe the lung quan is better to handle because the handle is more square where the practical ons is more round,thinner and a bit smaller..i would go for one of those two..

Comment

Shop from the world's largest selection and best deals for traditional weapons. Shop with confidence at Wing Lam Enterprises store! High quality weapons, apparel, training materials, and more.

Shop from the world's largest selection and best deals for traditional weapons. Shop with confidence at Wing Lam Enterprises store! High quality weapons, apparel, training materials, and more.

these are sick

"did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

iv got the hanwei, it a good lightweight sword for practice and show, very nice.

iv got the combat steel longchuen, its very blade heavy, good for strenght training and control. if you know
        someone in a metel shop you can balence it by putting a heaver handel on it
        life is a cumquat (Maxwell Smart)

Comment

Vince do you own any of those? I'm curious to hear first person experience. So far the hanwei "practical" jian is looking the best.

Anyways, I'm going to go smoke a bowl and train, and I'm on my way to vegas tonight. Vegas baby, vegas.

Comment

Incidentally, I'm 6'4" what length sword should I be looking for? Is 30" blade enough, or should I be looking only at 32"+?

Comment

"Anyways, I'm going to go smoke a bowl and train, and I'm on my way to vegas tonight. Vegas baby, vegas."

You are a lucky man.

Comment

i dont own any of em but O has alot of weps, there all pretty sick to me
                "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

I've wielded the hanwei and the longchuan....

I really was impressed by the hanwei's balance and feal.
                  practice wu de

Comment

To measure a sword, you hold in your hand at your waist with the tip facing up, it should come about to the bottom of your ear.

I use 30" to 32" blade, anything shorter and it no longer feels like I'm wielding a sword but a lengthy dagger. Plus, I'm only 5'8" so you might need something that is 32" or more.

I personally like how the Hanwei looks and from what I hear it's of good quality so I would definetly go with that one.
                    "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

I've got the Hanwei practical jian. (http://www.swordarmory.com/chinese/2008gt.htm)

Bought it a few years ago for reasons of curiousity. I don't have any training with it so I don't know what to do with it. Except 'pointy end goes in other guy'. But it is nice to hold

I also don't have any experience with this (or any) type of swords so I can't compare or judge the quality. But it does have a very natural feel. So I imagine.

Peace

Comment

My teacher has a tai sword he got from century. http://www.villarireedsburg.com/itemView/view/Products.pml?productId=53779 He allowed me to practice with it and it's I liked the balance, and the flexibility of it. Are these swords from TigerClaw direct?
                        "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Your link didn't work
                          Mike Evans
                          Medford, NY

Comment

Has anyone checked out the stuff from CAS / Hanwei? It's expensive stuff (upwards of $1000), but if I'm going to save up and get "real" stuff, they just might be my new supplier! I also liked the Pu Dao from Cold Steel @ apx $375.
                            Mike Evans
                            Medford, NY

Comment

Oops I forgot to post the links:

CAS / Hanwei: http://www.casiberia.com/cas_website...cat=Functional

Cold Steel Pu Dao: http://therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c476.html
                              Mike Evans
                              Medford, NY

Comment

Working...
                              X