Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unwanted Flexibility

my post on shaolinwolf.com:

It is said that flexibility in some joints could lead to injury or will create an unbalance in the body. Some joints flexibility are also not necessary for a martial artist. I'm interested especially in Static Passive Flexibility. I'm not a gymnast but i want a considerable passive flexibility. Is there only the splits which are wanted for a martial artist? What are the need of passive flexibility for a martial artist?

Please Help Me!
    To help you to help me, I found some pictures. Tell me, are these stretches useful for a martial artist?

http://membres.lycos.fr/tempcz/stretches.jpg
    =========
    Peace out!

A lot of those look like stretches leading up to the splits. And if you look at "D", that is actually a stance used in some forms of Shao Lin. And then also "G" on the far right is actually the zuo pan, sitting stance with legs twisted.

So, I'd say yes they are useful for martial arts since some of them are actually Shao Lin stances and others are stretching muscles like the lower back and ass stretch that is for going into the splits.

Comment

And besides that, these are common yoga stretches. Anyone practicing yoga is going to have an advantage in martial arts, especially Shao Lin. At least as far as flexibility goes. Which is of course important...

Comment

Thanks xing!

1) Where static passive flexibility is helpful in martial arts if it's NOT for making a show of crazy flexibility like a Tong Zi Gong demonstration?

2)About that problem ("Too much flexibility in some joints could lead to unbalance and even injuries" and "flexibility in some joints is to avoid because you loose power in these muscles."). What are the stretches to avoid for a martial artist? Tong Zi Gong is creating so much flexibility in every joints of the body, Isn't Tong Zi Gong creating too much flexibility? Can't it be a disadvantage to practice Tong Zi Gong or other flexibility forms, maybe yoga?
        =========
        Peace out!

Comment

Too much flexibility will hurt you only if you have a medical disorder that causes it, such as Marfan's disease, which I haven't yet discussed in the hospital section. Even then, you don't have medical problems from the increased flexibility; you eventually die from a disruption of other body organ connective tissues.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

So it is ok to be "double jointed" (have unusually long, lax ligaments)? Will it cause problems as you get older?

Comment

Too much flexibility will hurt you only if you have a medical disorder that causes it, such as Marfan's disease, which I haven't yet discussed in the hospital section. Even then, you don't have medical problems from the increased flexibility; you eventually die from a disruption of other body organ connective tissues.
              It's not what Thomas Kurz is saying in his book Stretching Scientifically...
              =========
              Peace out!

Comment

1) Where static passive flexibility is helpful in martial arts if it's NOT for making a show of crazy flexibility like a Tong Zi Gong demonstration?
                =========
                Peace out!

Comment

Excessive flexibility is only problematic when its coupled with a weakness in the muscles which stabilize the particularly flexible joints.
                  Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Where static passive flexibility is helpful in martial arts ?
                    =========
                    Peace out!

Comment

Working...
                    X