Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer use 'can lead to eye disease'

Computer use 'can lead to eye disease'

Long periods of time in front of a computer monitor can lead to eye disease, researchers have claimed.

Staring at a screen could be related to glaucoma, a condition which if left untreated can lead to blindness, a new study suggests.

Researchers at the Toho University School of Medicine in Tokyo, found the risk of heavy computer use and glaucoma was particularly strong among those workers who were short-sighted.

Glaucoma is more common in old age, and happens when the optic nerve in the eye is damaged, leading to visual abnormalities.

The exact causes are unknown, but potential risk factors include smoking and high blood pressure.

The researchers concluded: "Computer stress is reaching higher levels than have ever been experienced before.

"In the next decade, therefore, it might be important for public health professionals to show more concern about myopia and visual field abnormalities in heavy computers users."

Great, more things for me to worry about.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
    "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
    "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
    "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Yep, that's right.
    I have a friend who's always blinking with his eyes and other stuff. He has weak eyes.. which is because he played way too much computer games as kid. He can only stand to look at the TV or monitor screen for max 1 hour before his eyes get all crazy.

I, myself, have dry eyes in the wintertime

Comment

Tell that to my sister, maybe then she will stop wasting upwards of 40 hours a week on the computer.

I weep for her.
      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

So is 5 hours straight of Half Life 2 good for the eyes?
        I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
        "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
        "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
        "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

I think they said this about television, many years ago, when all you youngsters were just forbidden thoughts in the back seats of 57 Chevy's.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Yeah but tv's were kinda ****ty back then. and 5 hrs of HL2 is friggin nothing. I don't have it, but my friends do, and they aren't going to sleep for a few days.

The video game people are sick, releasing all these things right now. Halo 2, Half-Life 2, MGS 3, nintendo Ds....

We can't even finish playing one thing before a whole new one shows up and reduces our health even more.
            Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

you forgot the greatest game of all time, GTA san andreas.

really. what other game lets you hijack an airplane, fly it across a state, skydive from it, land and then derail a train with a rocket launcher?

Comment

Working...
              X