Teaching Strategies/Philosophies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching Strategies/Philosophies

So, we were discussing this on another thread. Thanks to Shaolinstylee, I've started a new thread that may benefit a lot.

We were discussing how much you really learn from teaching. For example, you learn how different people's minds work and you get to disect each different person who comes through. That way you learn a lot about people in general. Teaching them will always make your training better because you are training harder to benefit students and give them the highest quality lessons you can. Also, teaching can allow you to break down movements from different angles, allowing you to learn more from it. Maybe even students have questions about movements, strategies, or philosophies that make you think in a different way than you ever did before. You experience a lot through teaching and training yourself. I've always believed there is a time when a martial artist must take time to train alone on their own away from their masters. This is to learn so much more about yourself. Self-discovery perhaps.

So, now that we know benefits of teaching.. if there are any teachers on the forums or anyone who would care to share things about their teacher's strategies, philosophies, anything teaching that really helps we can share them here and learn from each other. I'll come back with replies of my own if anyone replies here.

Peace, everyone

Well, I'm not a teacher, I'm also not sure if thats a path I'd go down (I've considered, but the real world seems to keep catching up to me) I have had the opportunity to teach the beginners class at my school. Most of what I've taken from it is that different people learn differently. Some by touch, some by seeing, some by hearing, some by doing (but I'll argue that this would be a stage 2 thing). It taught me that some of the things I was doing weren't what I thought I was doing, when I'd show someone something, then they'd try it, I'd try to correct them, then realize there was a flaw in my tech. It made me more critical of myself in a good way.
    practice wu de

Comment

I know what you mean.

Sometimes I get to used to thinking people know Gong Fu already. So when I show them something it's slow and just kind of half done. Because I'm thinking they understand me. That's just my mind getting away from me. Also, I have those types of students who just think everything is amazing. So I don't like to do things full speed and power, it feels funny to hear them talk like that. Unless, they were woman. But in that case they would be in private classes.

When I first started teaching I had no idea. I was just trying to copy they way I learned. Which didn't turn out very well. Over time I developed my own style of teaching and things just come naturally. I never plan classes. I always just do what comes up and it seems to go a lot better that way and I get a lot more done with students because I'm not thinking of what I have left to do.

Also I try to take time to explain philosophies or minor ideas for training at times when they are just holding stances or something. I take advantage of times to share those things which are necessary to be well-rounded and have a peaceful mind when training.

Comment

Also I try to take time to explain philosophies or minor ideas for training at times when they are just holding stances or something. I take advantage of times to share those things which are necessary to be well-rounded and have a peaceful mind when training.
        Thats cool, my teacher does something similar. I've found that with some students, you get a good deal more effort out of them immediately after this, as they take it as a motivator.

I've only gotten to see two different teachers, and have only gotten to teach a limited number of students though.
        practice wu de

Comment

Well, I also in a way scare the training into them. I explain how they should honestly express themselves. Not doing things with half the ability they know they have. It's dishonest which is disrespectful to both themselves and the people watching them. I then say "I don't wish to be disrespected, as your teacher. I don't teach you these things so you can forget it once you know it. Each time you come to my classes I want to see honest expression in each movement. No lying, no disrespecting, no excuses. Honest expression!" And if I really want to give them a boot in the rear I can bring up the Shao Lin ancestors who trained so hard to give us what we have now and they are disrespecting them by not training fully and honestly. Puhahaha.... Haven't had to use that one yet though.

Comment

Well I am no master, but I am teaching a friend of mine who wants to learn forms, and I am teaching another friend who I hope one day will be able to spar with me and help me out with my stuff.

But I just teach how I learned it. It's the only way I can teach without really being a teacher, because...it's just the same lesson.

But I still can understand about how you two were talking about how it deepens your kung fu practice and knowledge. Sometimes I will have to go through the motions a few times before I myself grasp it, and in this way, my friend and I achieve knowledge.

And I too have to get used to the fact that not everyone knows kung fu. I was sitting here trying to think of an example but oh well. Let's just say I know what you mean.
            Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Great post idea...!

I inherited a school from my teacher when he "retired" (more likely got tired of dealing with parents). Much of my teaching experience has been positive. I learn som much from my students simply because they have a tendency to ask questions, and I had better know the answer! Turns out I knew more than I thought I did (which was really good for my confidence). On the other hand, teaching has left me very little tie to train for myself. I have just enough left in me every day to run through my forms and MAYBE take a pvt lesson with one of my senior training brothers.

Funny Teaching Story:

I was once teaching a class of 7-9 year olds about mimicry and the various animal styles when one of the little girls (who generally tended to know "too much") raised her hand and asked in a VERY loud voice: "Is there a Doggie Style?" Well, having noticed some of the parents waiting eagerly for my response, I simply replie, "Yes, Michelle, but you won't learn that till much later." Now, I was in Kung Fu Mode, and was simply speaking of Dog Style mimicry...it wasn't until I heard the words coming from my mouth did I realize what it must have sounded like!
              Mike Evans
              Medford, NY

Comment

Hahaha, and she's no longer a student cuz her mother took her out of this perverts class, huh?

I really don't like teaching small children. I leave that to my Gong Fu bro. They get on my nerves.

Comment

actually, when I took over the school, I stopped promoting the kids classes since I was only going to teach "Serious Students". Now I have half a dozen serious students, a dozen more that are just sort of there, and I need to make rent, so I'm starting 3 different kids classes in January.
                  Mike Evans
                  Medford, NY

Comment

"doggie style"! Gold! I would give you rep but I can't so have some worthless props.
                    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

I have very little teaching exp...most recently, id ecided to give back some to the comminuty at my university (UCO) so id ecided to do a singleclass type dealie for Wu Bu Quan. If nothing else, just to expose some people with possible interest to Shaolin, and to just kind of have fun.

Well, it was fun, and it turned out really well (13 people came out on a saturday morning = succes in my book). I'm still nowhere near being able to have a regularly-met class on my own, but it was really cool and i learned a ton from it.

As far as teachers in general, really, when you think about it, that's probably why you dont see any awesome martial artists play in many movies, just actors. The really good martial artists are too busy teaching classes to make movies, because they get more out of that (although i imagine the money for acting is better). I guess its that "always a student" type thing.

Comment

Well, about little kids- i think that it depends on the system. I simply cant imagine a little kid coming into my XingYi / Bagua classes when thats what i was studying. But shaolin, well, its different- and i understood that the first time i saw a kids shaolin class.

But, thats just the thing- make sure you keep kids in the KIDS class. i personally wouldnt teach a kid unless i think i had really good reason to, but i would understand if you like kids, why you would.

Comment

Originally posted by dogchow108
                          i personally wouldnt teach a kid unless i think i had really good reason to
                          Such as, if they have a MILF of a mother!

Comment

Well, I get called a juniour instructor but really I'm just a senior student who helps out in class and on occassion runs a class.

Now I personally have issues with the whole teaching thing and accompanying politics which I won't get into right now - I'll save that for another thread, I'm not sure yet whether or not to post it in the inner sanctum.

But I have to agree that teaching helps you learn so much more. It made me analyse my techniques much more closely than ever before. Although you do lose a lot of you personal training time.

Teaching kids can be great, although kids that have a short attention span can be quite trying! Kids, they have no fear!!!!

I personally prefer teaching small groups of about 10 at most. Any more than that and I feel that I can't give people enough attention.

The best thing about teaching though is watching people you've helped acheive their goals. One of my gongfu sisters that I've spent a lot of time with training and teaching is in China right now for a Shuai Jiao competition.(spelling??!! ) It makes me kinda proud that she's there and that I've been able to help just a little.
                            Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Comment

xing_Jian, that is most certainly a good reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X