X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Review: Living the Martial Way

Living the Martial Way
    By Forest E. Morgan, Maj USAF

What I found interesting was that the author studied taekwondo with a second degree black belt. Then started over in Jujutsu. Interesting that he studied two different styles.

Introduction
    Ch1: The Warrior Mind-Set
    Ch2: Your Martial Destiny
    Ch3: Train as Warriors Train
    Ch4: The Warriors Way of Strategy
    Ch5: The Warriors Spell Book
    Part Two The way of Honor
    Ch6: The Foundations of Honor
    Ch7: Honor in Action
    Ch8: Revenge & Suicide Perversions of Honor
    Pt3: Warrior Fitness
    Ch9: Warrior Fitness
    Ch10: Religion & Mysticism
    Ch11: Warrior Stand Along
    Ch12: Master & The Martial Way

What I liked about the book is it really is a book on how to be warrior. It cuts through the hype and put it on the line. So often people think of movie stars as warrior.
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Book Reivew: Comprehensive Application of Shaolin Chin Na

Comprehensive Applications of Shaolin Chin na
    Dr. Yan Jwing - Ming

Ch1: General Concepts
    Ch2: Qin Na Against Barehand Attacks
    Ch3: Qin Na Against Blocking
    Ch4: Qin Na Against Kicking
    Ch5: Qin Na Against knife Attacks
    Ch6: Qin Na Against Grabbing
    Ch7: Offensive Qin Na Techniques
    Ch8: Conclusion

This isn't a book I would suggest to learn Chin from. There are other books you are supposted to read before hand but well I didnt' have those around. After I read it, I talked with my Martial Arts teacher, and about a knife technique I found interesting. He said if the hand slipped you got to go into something else. Also some of the history of the art was interesting.

I really liked the beginning of the book where it talked about the human body. There was alot of interesting applications in this book. Some of which I might have a greater appreciation for after I get my black belt.

Often times I found the defenses repetitive such as using the same defense multiple times, perhaps with a different application. But then again it might be that way because of different way of doing it. I particularly like the Chin Na against Kicking, as there is alot of kickers out there.
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Living the Martial Way: One intersting trick I learned is to watch others body movement, and that would help you figure out what they would do next.

Shaolin Chin Na: What I like about it is your controlling them all the way down. It's not one technique your doing. Where are several picture per defense so it's kind of neat to see the flow.

Comment

Working...
      X