• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Review: The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu

The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu
    The Secrets of Kung Fu for Self-Defense, Health, and Enlightenment
    By Wong Kiew Kit

I have to say I really enjoyed this book. There is lots of stuff in this book for me to practice, and filled in alot of the questions I have been wondering about but didn't think to ask. There is also some background information about Shaolin, and even though Tai Chi. Another thing I enjoyed was the section on Chinese weapons.

What I didn't like about this book is relatively minor, in that where it goes through strikces and some combinations or "patterns". I also liked the sparring information as most of the information I have come across has been of the Tae Kwon Do veriety. However I really like my pads when I spar. There was some herbal remedies in the book, I'm going to have to check out before I try, and becareful I don't misuse, such as for injuries. Although I think they are really intersting.

Overal I think I really liked this book. It's similiar in layout to the book on ninjustu I previousily reviewed. Although one can learn some gung fu on there own using this book, I agree with the author. In that one should find a qualified teacher.
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Were there any health claims in there? Things about curing cancer with qi gong, etc, etc?
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Green, get ready for a verbal ass-beating on WKK. Not from me, mind you, but you'll see what i mean.

Oh, speaking of Ass-beating, I played some basketball with DeCheng, XingWei and DeCheng's brother. I teamed with DeCheng's brother. We got our asses handed to us soooo bad by the Shi's. Second game, still ate our lunch but not that bad. 3rd game, though, we got em pretty good. Amazing, i wouldnt think DeCheng is that damn good at basketball. moved like a madman. Interesting.
      Last edited by dogchow108; 12-26-2004, 01:12 AM.

Comment

How could that be...De Cheng has low energy levels...
        "Arhat, I am your father..."
        -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Code:
          Green, get ready for a verbal ass-beating on WKK. Not from me, mind you, but you'll see what i mean.
          WKK? ......
          "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Curing cancer, no, there was an herbal tea remedy for use after sparring for internal injuries, and alot about mediation. I suppose mediation my help one to become more focused and help with one's overal mental health. But I suppose that isn't really a good selling point. Hey kiddies let's go in the woods and mediate and some point I guess one just has to trust themselves, and there teacher. Some of the stuff it said would be best to find a teacher, becuase you can do some of the breathing exercises wrong. Another question, are christianity and buddhism exclusive. Because, it was talking about how one can be a confusist, taoist, and buddhist all at the same time.

Comment

Oh I think I know what you ment about WKK kicking my ass. Oh is that all he wants to do? Well, I don't think it's such a bad thing, I mean my ass has been kicked by alot of people, so why not a Shaolin monks? Actually, I think it's an honor if he'd give my ass a kicking. I mean once you get you ass kicked by the best, well... not much can compare. I can tell my kids someday, let me tell you the time I got my ass kicked by a Shaolin Monk. If that part still works after he gets done with me. But I'm afraid of that part not working properly anyway. So really that wouldn't be any great loss.. sorry to say... But some ladies might be upset with him. Am I serious, yes. Am I sadistic? yes, just ask my instructor. Just as long as he teaches me after he gets done kicking my ass.

I was afraid I had offended someone, if so I'll apologize. Please tell me how I what you find offensive how you want me to change my behavior. I'm not an expert on Shaolin or the martial arts. I only seek the to contribute what little I so as to help others. Please understand I'm just a stupid american anyway and the system I study is different then gung fu.

I'm not the one who wrote the book, just one person doing a review. What I said was not intended to put down Shaolin martial arts in anway nor anyone. If taken so, please accept my appologizes. It's hard to find good sources about Chinese martial arts out there. Most people all they know of Kung Fu comes from movies. This doesn't help to cultivate general "enlightenment." Personally, just because I learn something in a book doesn't mean I wouldnt' want to train with a teacher.
              Last edited by Greenknight2; 12-27-2004, 04:40 AM. Reason: do more groveling

Comment

WKK= Wong Kiew Kit, the author of the book you are reviewing.

We had a long running 'discussion' with some of his students, then they took another seminar and became "Sifu," which if that's not hilarious in and of itself, WKK then had it handed to him when he engaged the russbo water buffalo in an infamous question and answer series. They bitched and moaned about the monks, one went and trained at Shaolin and claimed he could 'see' people's energy and that De Cheng had 'low levels.' I have the sneaky suspicion that De Cheng, if moved to do so for some ungodly reason, could rip off this imbeciles head and **** down his neck from 20 feet away and use his girlfriend's hair to wipe with. I exaggerate to be sure. SYM when he cuaght wind of these toolboxes said he would gladly fly any of them to meet him so that they could show him their chi powers.

They had their own forum set up, used to come over here and troll, then try and make fun of us in their 'private' forum- too bad the toolboxes didn't realize anyone could just go over there and read their forum...and they would say some bizarre ass **** over there, I mean, seriously dangerous crapola- like telling this one poster they might die if they did not seek out WKK and take a seminar- for which he would charge a couple grand no less!! When this got thrown in their face they quickly backpedalled away from it.

That is why some of the older heads here all have water buffalo avatars.

I miss them actually as they were a rich vein of comedy that was far from tapped.

To this day whenever Bodhi and I feel threatened by a ghost, we purposefully mispronounce Amitabha's name to chase it away just like good old Antonius did.
                -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

I've got a feeling they're here, still, and after getting a whiff of your last post, I can only but surmise they'll uprise again....to defend themselves. (as well they should if convinced of they're positions)

And I'm salivating at the very hint of it all...

g
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

onespring, they used to make a big fuss about leaving and never posting here ever again. Then they would come back and say some lame ass sh!t like, I'm only here because someone sent me an email saying, hey- we need you to come back...

anyway, you can check the question and answer thing right here, I'm sure Doc saved it for posterity.
                    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Hmm, suppose De Chang might be able to hide his energy levels? not that I know for sure, but still...

But still I would consider it an honor to have some come so far, just to kick my ass. I mean you for them to go to all that trouble, just for little old me. What an honor. My day just got made.

THere is one thing though, my teacher told me. Something's not afraid of you, it's usually because your not a threat to them, or they are a threat to you. I don't suppose that there aren't other people doing similiar things out there. One thing too, is if you can work with someone alot, and it can just get wasted.

Comment

One thing it said in the book, is that in shaolin kung fu, it's not about how much technique you have, but about the power of your attack. I used to watch Dragon Ball Z, just curious is it like that? I mean I have heard things like that.

I would like to think wkk, would like me mentioning his book. The more his book gets mentioned, well the more copies sold. The more copies sold the more people will seek him out to train them.

Comment

The more his book gets mentioned, well the more copies sold. The more copies sold the more people will seek him out to train them.
                          hmmm? This could get interesting.
                          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Ok, back from vegas!

DeCheng is extremely explosive. The thing about low energy levels is a joke, right? Like i said, play basketball with the guy and you will see how "low-level" his energy is.

Anyway, Green- what i meant was, expect a verbal lashing about WKK from some of the posters here. some of them have had less that pefrect experiences with the guy. just hoping you didnt take it the wrong way.

Comment

no no green, you've got it all wrong. WKK, the guy who wrote this book, doesn't want to kick your ass. dogchow was talking about us here on the forum, verbally mocking WKK, because he's a quack. WKK does not want to kick your ass. no one on the forum wants to kick your ass. it's gonna be ok...

Originally posted by Greenknight2
                              Hmm, suppose De Chang might be able to hide his energy levels? not that I know for sure, but still...
                              just because WKK claims he can see "energy levels", and that de cheng's levels were "low", doesn't mean we need to believe him. it certainly doesn't mean that we need to then throw another layer of speculation on it by believing that de cheng could hide his energy or anything like that. chances are, WKK is just making **** up, and we can leave it at that.

But still I would consider it an honor to have some come so far, just to kick my ass. I mean you for them to go to all that trouble, just for little old me. What an honor. My day just got made.
                              to my knowledge, WKK does not take challenges, and he certainly won't travel to challenge anyone. he's making a bundle already, without proving anything, so why should he risk it? generally, for these guys with very "unique", and expensive, teachings, there are set procedures for challenging them, procedures which just about guarantee that nobody could ever actually challenge them.

Comment

Working...
                              X