Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Doc...Immunizations for Shaolin?

Dear Doc,

my wife and I will travel to Henan in April, and so far we have received mixed advice from different doctors...some recommending immunizations from hepA, tetanus, typhoid, malaria, yellow fever, dysenteria, ... others just hepA and tetanus ... and so we are left wondering what we should do, obviously wanting to be protected but also taking the least shots possible.

As a veritable shaolin and medical authority we ask for your invaluable advice

Be avare that we will be there in April (so not too hot), only for 1 week, and that we will stay in the best possible accomodation (Shaolin International Hotel I believe). We will however get there by train (my wife is somewhat weary of Chinese airlines)...

Thank you for your advice!

W

I strongly suggest that you get the Hepatitis A vaccine. Hep B is not necessary unless you think you might be exposed to blood, or, expect to have sexual liasons with the general public. Which, I don't think your wife would appreciate all that much.

Yellow fever is no longer recommended. I got one ten years ago; it's really not necessary now. Anti-malarial medications is a thought, if you're going to be in malaria infested parts of China. Dengfeng is not one of them. However, there are rare occurences of encephalitis, so doing the usual protection stuff for mosquito bites is not a bad idea. (The risk is very low, so don't let this be a worry). Bring some bug spray with you. I have never found the mosquitos to be that much of a nuisance. It's more of a problem in southwestern China and northern Thailand.

If you're not current with your tetanus shots, it's not a bad idea to get one. Typhoid is not necessary. Rabies shots are also not necessary, as long as you stay away from the puppies and the FLW's. Remember, the doggies are not the friendliest in China. If you were constantly thinking about what dinner plate you were going to end up on, you wouldn't be friendly either.

Just make sure that you follow the usual "eating in China rules" (look in the Journals section of the site, there's an abundance of good reading material there concerning what to do and what not to do: Site Content/Shaolin/Journals/Survival Rules/Bai He...). Basically, bottled water only. No ice. Don't use the glasses. Wipe the plates off if you can. Tea is fine. NO MILK products, at all. That means ice cream also (unless you get Hagen Daaz in Beijing). Beware of fruit; remember, they fertilize the fields with human ****. Talk about mixing enteric disease amongst your friends and family. If it's not boiled, peeled, cooked or brought with you from the US, be very careful with it. Don't eat food from "on the street" vendors. Most restaurants are fine. If you get the poops,, don't despair. Drink plenty of water, and don't be afraid to use the Chinese medicine that you get in the street clinics. If you're allergic to some medicines, be careful. You might want to talk to your doctor about bringing Flagyl with you. And, Doxycline, or some Erythromycin based stuff. Cipro also seems to work for the poops over there. A daily dose of Pepto Bismal seems to help (the bismuth helps keep down the E. Coli population), but if you're allergic to aspirin, don't take it.

Because Schistosomiasis is a common parasite in some areas of China, stay out of the water, unless it's enclosed within concrete and has chlorine in it. And, you really, really should be careful on the roads. Don't be too afraid to yell at the driver's if they go too fast. I"ve gotten close to strangling a few of the bastards. The Chinese really don't know how to drive (in Las Vegas also), and they have the most poorly maintained cars I've ever seen. Your biggest risk of getting into trouble, is on the roads. Stay off them, don't travel at night, get yourself a dependable safe driver, and keep him (get his phone number).

Contact me directly, I'll hook you up with a good friend of mine in Dengfeng. He can help you further.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice!! As soon as I have firm dates booked I'll let you know (it should be around Easter) so we can hook up with your contact.

In the past you mentioned Feng Yuan hotel, whilst kungfu magazine talks about Shaolin International as the best hotel in the area ... where should we stay? What's our best option for clean rooms and clean food, money no object?

Thanks again,

W

Comment

I'm not saying I wouldn't listen to Doc's excellent advice, but somehow he's managed to take some of the fun out of China.

If your going for a week... well, the shots can't hurt... bug spray, cool..., but
        If it's not boiled, peeled, cooked or brought with you from the US, be very careful with it. Don't eat food from "on the street" vendors.
        I mean, there's some good food over there, and, you got to get it on the streets.... Eat your fill! I did. Chinese do.

As for
        stay out of the water, unless it's enclosed within concrete and has chlorine in it.
        Are you going swimming this time of the year? If so, it's going to be a tad bit nippy.

Yeah, Chinese absolutely don't know how to drive! However, on the contrary I'd suggest you bring your wife for a nice ride in the most broken down, reckless looking, jam packed full of people bus you can find.. There's just no roller coaster better. This is fun stuff.
        Eat funny looking foods, go down congested streets, ride in trashed cars and buses... wave, smile, hustle, haggle.....talk nonsense... This is a place to appreciate and enjoy, in all it's dimensions.

Oh, btw, be carefull.

g
        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by wall

In the past you mentioned Feng Yuan hotel, whilst kungfu magazine talks about Shaolin International as the best hotel in the area ... where should we stay? What's our best option for clean rooms and clean food, money no object?

Thanks again,

W
          Do you always listen to what you read in those magazines? LOL.
          The "Shaolin International" hotel that I know of is on the main drag, and is, in my opinion, on the level of "****hole". The Feng Yuan is one of the better places in town. There's one other high rise hotel, I forget the name of it, that's not bad either. Remember, these guys that write for these magazines have small travel expense budgets, and therefore need to conserve their resources when traveling. Martial arts magazines are not on the level of Newsweek or National Geographic (you should see their travel budgets, LOL). The Feng Yuan runs about 35 USD a night. Bring my picture, show the manager, tell him I sent you, and see if you can get the "doc rate".

As for eating out in the street, the night market in Dengfeng is damn good. I highly recommend it. But, again, regardless of where you travel in the third and fourth worlds, always be careful of what you eat at street stand cooking places. I've had some great food on the street, but, use your common sense. Refrigeration to these people is a concept that is bewildering, at best. I've seen some pretty scary things on these push carts at times.

On an interesting side note, I will say this. You may have a better chance of getting a dysenteric illness in a bad restaurant, than out in the Dengfeng market. For one simple reason: restaurants wash their dishes. It's the wash water that will get you every time...
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

hehe ... the writer was your friend Gene he assured readers that the shaolin international was the only real 3-4 star hotel in dengfeng ... but I take your word for it.

however even the feng yuan at 35 us per night seems well within any western business travel budget, even as low as MA mags writers get

We will stay at the Peninsula in Beijing, seems very good from online info and reviews, any direct experience?

W

Comment

No experience with the Peninsula. The Peninsula in Hong Kong, is an awesome hotel. Has one of the most interesting bathrooms in the world. You pee onto this glass thingie while looking over the city. And, you can see the bottom of the women's room. Interesting watching legs walk around. How women congregate in the women's room is just great. I have a pciture of the thing, gotta find it. (found it, yay). Not sure if the one in Beijing is the same chain.

Again, my commentary on martial art/s magazines holds. You'll like the Feng Yuan. Beware the swimming pool, the big guys in the basement that do massages, and the little girls in the hair salon that do massages. And tell the girls I send my love. If you stay on the fourth floor, they have free high speed internet access in every room.
              Attached Files

russbo.com

Comment

Feng Yuan it is then, I will tell the girls you send your love ... would that get me special treatment or snakes in the bed?

The Peninsula beijing is the same group as the Peninsula HK ... I've been there for drinks (the HK one) and it's a great place, so I thought the Beijing one should be hopefully as cool.

When are you going to China next ... although wih your home-delivered monks you don't need to. You Americans need everything home delivered or at worse drive through

Comment

As far as I remember, special treatment included snakes in the bed.

Or something like that.....

The Peninsula Beijing is on Wongfujing street. I remember it now. Never stayed there, too rich for my taste. Besides, they don't allow large ugly bald guys in there, especially ones that wear sweat shirts and jeans, with worn out sneakers. I've got a friend in Beijing that can help you, if you so need.

I'm heading back to Thailand for various sorts of business, including purchasing land for a new international Shaolin school there. Yes, we're expanding. Why, well I guess I don't have anything else to do. I may be back in China sometime during the spring, though it depends upon how tied up I get in Thailand with this project.

Have a safe trip. Beware the FLW's.

russbo.com

Comment

well my dress sense sounds very much like yours, but I like creating a contrast

I'll write to you closer to the time to confirm dates, in case you are in the area, and to get the name of your contact in DengFeng.

Have fun in Thailand ... unfortunately the areas impacted by the terrible disaster are some of the most visited and I doubt they will be back to normal by spring; they are however, even Puket, ok a few hundred meters inland, so your land search should be unaffected.

Take care,

Walter

Comment

Hi there ... I did say I'd write closer to the time

My wife and I will be in China from the 26/03/2005 to 10/04/2005. I will be going to Shaolin (DengFeng I should say) somewhere around the 1st or 2nd, staying 5 days or so.

So to the further questions (thank-you for your patience):

1 - the night train Beijing ZhengZhou (spell?) - better book it once in Beijing or try to get my travel agent to look into it from here?

2 - ZZ to DengFeng ... how many hours of taxi, and any good drivers you can recommend?

3 - Feng Yuan hotel ... again better book ahead or once in China?

4 - Shi De Yang - I met him briefly in 99, was hugely impressed (a true S monk in spirit) and would very much like to see him, perhaps even train with him or at least talk / have dinner / anything really ... how do I contact him ahead (email? english?) and how do I find his school?

5 - interpreters, are they easy to find (eg at the hotel can they find me one if needed), even better if cute and female interpreter? (joking!)

That's all, are you in the area at the time?

Thank-you for your help,

Walter

PS we are going for hep-a shots only (plus tetanus recall) ... one week in april should be safe enough, only eating at the hotel restaurant. You think ok?

Thanks!

Comment

hey, just want to wish you a fun and safe trip.. Of course if you have time, you can always take some pics of your trip and post them for the rest of us... Let us know how it turns out for you.

be well,

g
                        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Uh, no, not OK. I wouldn't eat at the Feng Yuan hotel restaurant. There are so many other, better, local restaurants in town there. But, without a little map, I can't really point you in the right direction.

You can book the night train to Zengzhou once you get there. Get "soft sleeper", so you can lay down. "Hard seat" is a wooden bench, surrounded by hundreds of locals.

ZZ to DF by taxi should now only take you about one hour to an hour and a half, with the new highway. There's one taxi driver in China that I can recommend; but he drives only in Beijing. You get what you get in ZZ; make sure that you yell at him if he drives too quickly. And, for giggles and shits, wander around the taxi line outside the train station for a while, and watch them fight over you. I triggered one of those one year, that ended up being a "knock down to the ground" type of thing. Quite comical.

As for the Feng Yuan, bring a picture of me from the site, and ask to see the manager, Mr "tway". Tell him that you're a friend of mine (wo de pung yo), and see if he gives you a better rate. If it's not busy, you'll be fine. If they're booked, there are other hotels.

Better yet, do this. Drop me an email, and I'll get you phone numbers of people in China that can look after you. I'll also try to arrange to have someone from Shi De Cheng's school pick you up at the train station, and get you into your hotel. Some training at De Cheng's school is a possibility, as is training directly with him. As for DeYang, he travels quite a bit in China. He also, as I've mentioned elsewhere recently, does not seem to teach that much any more. Personally, I think something is going on with him healthwise; he seems to have limited his gong fu association. But, this is just my impression from last year. De Cheng's people can arrange a meeting, as can my Beijing people (who, might be in Dengfeng at the time).

I might be in Shaolin when you're there. Imagine that. I leave for Asia in a few days. I was thinking of going to Shaolin in March to train with Decheng, as, well, we just didn't train all that much when I had him here in the US. Between my healing lungs, and a torn rotator cuff, and gobs of shit to do, getting time to train was difficult. It's time for me to get down and dirty, and start up again. Just been too long.

Oh, and as for "cute female interpreters", the only thing cute I've found in Dengfeng were the FLW's in the hair salon.

They're much cuter when you close your eyes.

russbo.com

Comment

thanks to everyone for the advice and the wishes and doc you've got mail!

Comment

Yay. Mail.

My spam blocker almost bounced you, LOL.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X