Orange Juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Juice

I always thought fresh orange juice to be healthy but I've noticed a few places claiming its not so great, something to do with the citric acid.. so do the negative aspects outweigh the positive or is it all just a load of crap and I should stick with orange?

What are the negative effects (if any) of oranges/citric acid?

Any suggestions for some other fruit juice that is more healthy overall?

Orange juice is one the most acidic foods there is.... If you're worried about that, some manufacturers produce reduced-acid oj, one of my old roommates used to buy the stuff.

In chinese medicine, its beleived the oj from concentrate produces dampness.

In addition, its not very good for your digestion to consume lots of cold things at breakfast. Chilled juice is most easily metabolized without damage to your spleen if you only drink it in the middle of the day (around noon or early afternoon). In general, its better to have a hot breakfast for the sake of your spleen.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

The amount of acid in orange juice is completely irrelevant, when compared to the acidity of gastric juices. So, unless you plan on inhaling your OJ, it shouldn't bother you.

However, I would recommend that you be careful with the amount of OJ that you imbibe if you've got some gastric disorders, such as gastritis or ulcer. No reason to increase the acidity down there, if you don't need to.

Overall, the benefits of OJ far outweigh the risks. Drink up. And remember, you get a good deal of your Vit C absorption via your oral mucosa, which is why eating oranges might be better for you than drinking orange juice. The fiber helps too.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

fresh squeezed oj > donald duck oj.

I really really hate the cartoned and calcium enriched/vitamin fortified OJ that you buy. There is always a chalky texture to the juice and the flavor is just horrible.

I love just making my own oj, though, the taste is infinately better (even if the oranges are a little sucky) than the store-bought orange juices.

And you get some pulp in the fresh juice so that is some good fiber right there.
        Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

As a vegetarian taking iron supplements and working out as hard as I usually do on such a high protein diet where the kidney needs nurturing and electrolytes and fluid are really important to stay at good health, the orange juice aiding the iron absorbtion is an almost crucial part of my morning regeime and if I can swing it, I also like to drink lemon juice 50 : 50 with hot water of a morning which in tcm as no doubt daodejing will tell you himself is likely one of the single most healthful things you can do for your spleen and is best done in the morning. If you're worried about too much citric acid, I guess it's a good time to check you're getting enough of those fats and oils we need. Perfect compliment and chasing your oils like this is awesome for digestion. In tcm, every cosistency has an opposite like sweet and salty/ hot - cold / wet - dry / oily - sour etc and if you're having a problem with one, it usually just means the other is out of balance. I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned before somewhere on these boards , so feel free to search. If you can't find the list of what goes with what and how eat balanced portions of what and when it's best to do that, feel free to ask.

Cheers

BL

Comment

I think it would be really interesting to be BL for a day.

Comment

Originally posted by doc
              The amount of acid in orange juice is completely irrelevant, when compared to the acidity of gastric juices. So, unless you plan on inhaling your OJ, it shouldn't bother you.

However, I would recommend that you be careful with the amount of OJ that you imbibe if you've got some gastric disorders, such as gastritis or ulcer. No reason to increase the acidity down there, if you don't need to.

Overall, the benefits of OJ far outweigh the risks. Drink up. And remember, you get a good deal of your Vit C absorption via your oral mucosa, which is why eating oranges might be better for you than drinking orange juice. The fiber helps too.

So, is it a crock of junk that too much acid in ones diet can cause a urinary tract problems or something like that..
              practice wu de

Comment

Something I found on a website:

I found a site on the web that said that Coke is 0.055% phosphoric acid.
                That makes it 0.0055 molar phosphoric acid. This would give Coke a pH of
                about 2.3. I just checked some cola with my pH meter and got 2.6. Not
                exact, but it is in the correct range. By comparison, lemon juice has a pH
                of 2.2 and orange juice has a pH of 4.2.

Compare that with the stomach's pH at about 1, and you should be able to figure it can't be very severe, even with large amounts of coke.
                Also check out the mythbusters where they test some of the myths about coke

Comment

Um, no, coke is still bad for you.
                  -Jesse Pasleytm
                  "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Yes.. But isn't it more the sugar than the acid?

Comment

wait a second... you guys have been talking about the drink this whole time, haven't you? damn.

Comment

Soda in general is still terrbile for the body.
                        Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

...............unless you're talking soda water and drink it with lemon juice and a sugar alternative , and have it with your mid afternoon carb which includes your vit b ( for the post work out recovery) then you're doing your body a great service :P

Btw : yah it'd be interesting living a day in my life but really boys, besides having the boobs and smooth skin to play with in the shower , I don't think you'd handle even half a day as BL and you really don't want any of it .................
                          cheers anyway

Comment

Hey, if you got the boobs and the smooth skin, I think I'll be able to handle half a day in the shower.

Comment

I could make entire thread about coke (zach's kind) and cheese but somehow I don't think it'll get anywhere.
                              -Jesse Pasleytm
                              "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Working...
                              X