Who wants to live forever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who wants to live forever?

Well I wouldn't mind as long as my brain is not in a jar or something!

Anyway, there's an odd character in england who reckons in about 25 years it will be possible to 'fix' the aging thing.. seems to be a bit of genius and perhaps a slightly nuts too but anyway, its an interesting read..

yup, the crazy beard guy. i've always thought he would be a lot of fun to hang out with. unfortunately for all of us, however, he's a quack.

people throughout history have been claiming that they possessed the secret to immortality - the holy grail, the fountain of youth, a certain kind of yogic exercise, whatever. what do all these people have in common? they're dead.

maybe medical science will eventually get us to this level, but there's no way of knowing when such a development could occur. this guy is clearly pulling the "25 years" thing directly out of his ass. and the medical technology he refers to is just stuff that some people have theorized could cure the aging problem; meanwhile, we're still not entirely certain what causes aging to begin with. this guy is basically just a science fiction writer who takes himself a bit too seriously.

and uh, doesn't really write fiction.

and has a crazy-ass beard.

Comment

Well, I'm pretty sure we have good idea of what causes aging. Aging happens because when a cell dies in the body and reproduces another cell, that cell is not good and strong as it's predessor was.

The idea with many qigong techniques with the focus of "immortality" is to help slow this process down.

Please, be aware, that death will happen no matter what. You cannot avoid it. Would you really want to live forever anyway? Forever is a long ass time, really long ass time.

Plus the Universe would find some way to recycle you. It's a lot bigger and smarter than you. Plus you are just a part of it.
      "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Well, I didn't read the whole thing, I was too busy laughing at this guy's face (he has more hair on his chin than I do on my head.) But, he's not too far off course. It's been a fairly well accepted concept that aging has to do with genetics; that there is some sort of time clock within the genetic code, which enables the "lack of cellular repair" that cells consistently try to maintain. In fact, some researchers in Engliand found some genetic code that mght be responsible for this.

Aging is also influenced by other factors. Exposure to oxidants can lead to eventual cellular degeneration, as can lack of exercise, and poor diet. Smoking is a huge "aging" accelerant. And for reasons that are yet unknown, low calorie diets lead to a prolonged life expectancey. it probably has to do with the decrease in fatty intake.

I wouldn't be too cynical about this type of stuff. It's all in the genes. For a good part, the diseases that you will develop, are partly ingrained into your genetic code.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

not cynical, skeptical. there are a lot of things which we know contribute to aging, as you've mentioned, and we more or less know the mechanism of aging, as fa hui mentioned, but we can't know (until all of this technology is perfected) that there are not other causes. so to say that when that technology is perfected, we will all begin to live for around 1000 years each, is getting ahead of ourselves a bit. and to give a time frame in which that technology should be perfected is also just an educated guess. remember when we were supposed to have flying cars in the 90's?

Comment

one word: telomeres

Comment

even most of alleged daoist "immortals" died after 200-400 years.
              Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Well to answer the question posed in the title of this thread:

Who wants to live forever?

Sure as hell ain't me.
                Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

I just think after 500 years, I would be terribly bored. I mean after 150 you can't live in society anymore, because you'll most likely get annoyed by the continuing unskillfulness of people. I don't care how enlightened you think you are, everyone will eventually drive you nuts.

But it would be cool to see all the changes that will take and you will become a part of living history.

If everyone lived forever, than that means no more babies. We would have to have some serious birth control.

Unless you all plan on practicing chastity....
                  "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

eternal life, without sex? no thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X