Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sacred Shaolin Handshakes

From a message sent to me:
    Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is xxxxx xxxx, I live and work in xxxx,xxxx. I am a researcher studying ancient and modern religious practices. I was given a photo copy of an article recently that was published in Karate/Kung Fu Illustrated in September of 1987. I am VERY interested in the content of this article and I am attempting to authenticate its origin. I believe the source to be a fraud and for religious reason am trying authenticate its origin…..This is VERY VERY VERY sacred to me and to my religion.

I know this sounds like a strange question but I am desperately searching for further light or knowledge in relation to this. The article ( "Charge Up Your Chi" ) mentions a researcher named Marc Duncan who allegedly studied some ancient Shoalin Temple writings and discovered some sacred hand clasps or "grips" that "Charge Up Chi" and were used by Shaolin patriarchs or monks.

Are you aware of these "grips"? If you are I know your sacred as do I. But I need to find the truth behind this.

The grips included certain hand clasps that were designed and used to share the inner energy referred to as CHI. I know have never practiced martial arts nor do I intend to, but if the information in that article is authentic it could help me establish a long held belief that EVERY culture of the world has at some time or another been given the same sacred teachings either by revelation of the Divine or through some other means.

I have attached a PDF file of this article to help you understand the seriousness of my quest. I hold these things sacred and if you do know of them I know you will as well so please forgive me for sharing this article it is however the proof you will need to realize my true intentions.

I would appreciate any help you could render either in finding the publisher and/or sharing knowledge you may have of these rites reportedly held sacred by ancient Shaolin Monks.

Again I cant stress how sacred I hold these things and If you know of them I know you will as well.

Any help, leads or information will be more than enormously appreciate.
    I have personally never seen Shaolin monks engage in any sort of handshakes, including, the old ones. In fact, when I do it to them, I get the impression that the maneuver is a bit foreign to them. (You won't find it with Thai monks, or, even, Thai people for the most part; the wai is more common. The Thai's are Theravadan Buddhist).

Good question. Let's see what the gang comes up with.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

research, i think, ought to be done in order to uncover the facts, whatever they may be, and not to "establish a long held belief".

Comment

Handshakes

I have heard of one secret "handshake". But it wasn't a handshake - it was a way to hold your hands together so that it looked like a normal 'fist in hand' bow. During a time when Taoism was forbidden - Taoists used to hold their 'fist in hand', with a twist. They would insert the left thumb (up to the first knuckle) into their right fist (right pass their rolled up first finger) and lay their right thumb along their left thumb as to mimic a Yin-Yang symbol.

Comment

The article that started it all. Though it does point out true acupuncture points...., bullshit I say.
        Attached Files
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

wow. that does indeed read remarkably like bullshit. and daniel laruso is the karate kid!! the question is, did the guy who "discovered" these techniques make them up, or did the guy writing the article make it all up? perhaps we will never know.

Comment

Quite frankly, it is very disrespectful to shake hands with a monk or nun. In some traditions (Theravadan) you should not even touch them. I highly doubt that there is any truth to this stuff.

In Tantrism they did have certain hand forms that were used for meditation and qigong, however as far as I am concerned it never had anything to do with shaking hands with someone.
            "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

I'm calling bullsh!t as well. If this guy were truely researching ancient Chinese documents, it would be a bit more credible to publish in an academic journal, not a martial arts magazine.
              -Jesse Pasleytm
              "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

You don't think Karate/Kungfu Illustrated is a legitimate academic journal?

Uh!

lol

I don't even think they are in print anymore. Died out during the '90s.
                "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

Comment

In the spirit of Shaolin-Do: the karate outfits give them away.

Remind me to one day market a product called a Torso Chi Builder. I bet i could make millions off that one. An ab machine and cameo appearances of Jane Fonda come to mind. Steve- start cooking up a design...
                  Last edited by dogchow108; 01-26-2005, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dogchow108
                    An ab machine and cameo appearances of Jane Fonda come to mind. Steve- start cooking up a design...
                    Hmmm????
                    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
                    "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
                    "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
                    "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

chi

Just out of curiousity, I typed "chi" into Google Image Search and this is the first picture that came up. I don't think I can do better than this for Chi Builder.....
                      Attached Files
                      I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
                      "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
                      "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
                      "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Good enough! now all we need is a hair sample...

Comment

I'll take two!!!

Comment

Yeah, but what does that mean by rub her for good luck?

g
                            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
                            X