Forms training more strenuous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forms training more strenuous?

I haven't trained for years so I'm out of shape but recently started a regular(ish) training program at home going over all the kung fu I can remember from many years ago but I have noticed that I am much more exhausted after running through my forms a few times (done properly with force) than when I practice all sorts of kicks, punches, elbow strikes etc. (in the air - I don't have any pads to work on).

Is it just me? I expected to be more worn out from doing all the kicks and punches and whatnot!

I'm thinking its to do with moving through the low stances of various kinds but just a guess..

There's a significant cardiovascular work out the accompanies talou training, I think, more so than hitting a bag. You're using more muscles continually, for one thing. And the use of the thigh muscles, raising the body up and down, is a significant work load.

I know what you mean. Having been ill these past two years with some irritating and significant lung problems, I'm now trying to get myself back into some sort of miserable shitty condition. It takes time.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Training

Just make sure not to overdue it, because otherwise you can do yourself more harm than good.

Comment

Yes, great words of wisdom Uwe, which the great bald one always espouses, and never follows.

Which is why I tore my rotator cuff to shit months ago. Something which precluded me from training to any significant degree with Decheng, and his sanda champion brother, when I had them living here with me in Vegas last month.

Take it easy. It all gets better with time.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Welcome back, and good luck.

Listen to your body.
          practice wu de

Comment

Even if your in been practicing they can still can be a good work out.
            "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Originally posted by Greenknight2
              Even if your in been practicing they can still can be a good work out.

What?

Comment

Originally posted by dogchow108
                What?
                LOL. But I have to agree with the initial first few posts. I think forms training is more of a workout than running a few miles.

If I practiced my hung gar form completely and looping for 20 minutes straight (I have never, but I am just guessing) I think I would be more tired than if I were to run that same time.
                Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Dogchow, I'm glad you posted that "what" cause I really wanted to post a "what" just didn't know what kind of "what" to post after reading it.

g
                  ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Really it all depends, an hour of jibengong and taolu for me doesn't cut it any more. An hour kickboxing workout that is mostly bag work friggin kills me seeing as how I haven't done it in a while. Meh, do both.
                    -Jesse Pasleytm
                    "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Working...
                    X