Pujo and other Californians, great news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pujo and other Californians, great news

The Singtao Northern California Chinese newspaper reported on Feb 12th that Oakland will build and host a Shaolin Temple, run by Shi Yuen Fong. USAST: Oakland, California, if you will.

I have an article clipping in my hand, but unfortunately no link to more information. The article mentioned how traditional Shaolin medicines, foods, recources will be brought over. Looks like all you bay area guys lucked out!
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Yuen ?

Yuen is not a Shaolin Monk Name. Yan maybe?
    Here are Monk names by generation...

Shaolin monks names
    1. Fu Yu Hui Ju
    2. Hui
    3. Zhi
    4. Zi
    5. Jue
    6. Zi
    7. Ben
    8. Yuan
    9. Ke
    10. Wu
    11. Zhou
    12. Hung
    13. Pu
    14. Guang
    15. Zong
    16. Dao
    17. Qing
    18. Tong
    19. Xuan
    20. Zu
    21. Qing
    22. Jing
    23. Zhen
    24. Ru
    25. Hai
    26. Zan
    27. Ji
    28. Chun
    29. Chen
    30. Su
    31. De
    32. Xing
    33. Yong
    34. Yan
    35. Heng
    36. Miao
    37. Ti
    38. Chang

"Understanding the roots of Shaolin can be very difficult, yet also very educational. Understanding common mandarin terms of Shaolin is a big part of this. Another significant mandarin word you will encounter when interacting with the monks is their formal names. Every monk and layman disciple is given a three-character Shaolin name when they are indoctrinated. The first character is "Shi". "Shi" is short for Shijiamouni. Like Amitoufo, this is a phonetic transcription. It refers to Sakyamuni, the human Buddha. In the abbreviated version, "Shi" it simply refers to Buddhism. The next character is dependent on their generation. Every generation of Shaolin has a specific name (see table). The oldest living generation today is the 30th generation, known as "Su". The last abbot was named "Shi Su Xi". The last name is unique to each monk."

Stolen from another website, but I can figure out which one. Oops. Maybe by Gene Ching..
    Last edited by Steve; 02-17-2005, 06:07 AM.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
    "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
    "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
    "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

8. Yuan

I think it is that one, then. I don't know, because translating phonetics can be tricky. I had to have my mom read it to me in Cantonese because I can't read Chinese and can't understand mandarin. I am pretty sure it is yuan. Thanks for the good info, Steve.

-edit-
      Actually, do those go by chronological order? I could very well be Yan. There is a "yuh" sound in it, lol.
      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiYunFat
        8. Yuan

I think it is that one, then. I don't know, because translating phonetics can be tricky. I had to have my mom read it to me in Cantonese because I can't read Chinese and can't understand mandarin. I am pretty sure it is yuan. Thanks for the good info, Steve.

-edit-
        Actually, do those go by chronological order? I could very well be Yan. There is a "yuh" sound in it, lol.
        Yes it is in chronological order.
        I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
        "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
        "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
        "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

yuan

hi
          yuan,I am not sure about that,tell you later

Comment

that sound fantastic,is it true

Comment

Working...
            X