Shaolin busts fake monks in CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin busts fake monks in CA

Found this article on KFM forum, I thought you all might find this interesting..

Shaolin busts fake monks in CA
    Hang on, Shaoliners, this is a complicated one. It starts with my report in our Shaolin special 2004 in the article Shaolin Temple in San Francisco: Venerable Abbot Shi Yongxin, California’s “Songshan Shaolin Temple Day,” UNESCO and a Buddhist Music Concert. You all read that, right? It was one of the most between-the-lines articles I wrote for that issue - those who follow Shaolin politics know. If you can, reread it now, so you're familiar with the 'players'. It documented Abbot Yongxin's second trip to the USA.

Yesterday, World Journal (the largest Chinese newspaper) ran a big expose on the Shaolin monk tour that will be at the Masonic Auditorium this weekend (March 5th). This tour, promoted by Stephan Ho, (same as last year) has been advertising that the Abbot will attend again, with a contingent of Shaolin wuseng. If you caught the SF Chinese New Years Parade, there was a group of Shaolin monks which I beleive were part of this group.

March is the People's Congress, right after Chinese New Years. There is no way the abbot would leave China during this time. He sent a rep to investigate - Shi Yanfeng - who visited us a few weeks ago to discuss the situation, as well as others (our official report on him and his visit will be in our next issue May June 2005). Yesterday, I received an email from Shaolin's attorney, Huang Kun, concerning this matter.

The Abbot made a statement about this performance for the newspapers. He specified five points about thsis performance, which I'll paraphrase here:

1. Since January 2005, Shaolin Temple has not sent any official groups to America. Any performance groups are not from Shaolin Temple itself; they are from local schools.
    2. Ho said there was a new abbot in his tour, Shi Yongyao. There is no Shaolin monk named Yongyao. (note: the sure way to **** off the Abbot is to impersonate him)
    3. Shaolin Wheel of Life and Shaolin Warriors are the only real tours from Shaolin Temple and both performance troupes are still in China. He has no plan to come for this March "charity" performance.
    4. Fake Shaolin groups have already jeopardized Abbot name and Shaolin's repuation.
    5. Because they are using Shaolin's name to deceive people in the name of charity, we hope public can investigate to not be cheated.

We've heard, but been unable to verify that Stephan Ho never paid the promised 50K to Abbot Yongxin or HK film star Simon Yam, who also appeared at that event.

Shaolin's Attorney Huang Kun states that there are three ways to tell if a show is from Shaolin Temple.
    1. Go to official website www.shaolin.org.cn where the important offical activities are listed. Also there is a telephone number there to contact the temple directly.
    2. Major performances are led by Abbot Yongxin personally.
    3. If monks go abroad to perform, they need government official approval from both religious and cultural departments.

This gets very political because of California Speaker Pro Tempore Leland Yee's involvement. (See Yee with the Shaolin monks - photo #1 & photo #2 ) Yee asked Yongxin to come to his inauguration last year. When the Abbot couldn't come, another monk was arranged, apparently through Stephan Ho. That was Shi Guosong and it was reported in the Chinese media. According to our sources, Guosong has left the temple in disgrace. Yee stated for the World Journal that he hopes he can meet with Abbot Yongxin to sort this all out.

Ho still claims he has the real monks and the performance this weekend is still go. Ho fudged a bit when interviewed by stating that the monks belong to the Shaolin Chanshu Xueyuan, not the temple necessarily, but Abbot Yongxin is the honorable president of that school (note: Abbot Yongxin is the honorable president of almost every school in Dengfeng). He claims this school is directly under Shaolin, but funded by private investment. And the president of the school is Guosong. Ho says that many have learned Shaolin martial arts, but it's quite different from the students of this school. He says he's losing money on this show because he's giving away so many tickets. He hopes through this event, America knows the real Shaolin Kung Fu.

Ho claims to be the Northern American Director of China Songshan Shaolin Temple. Apparently Ho has legally established the Shaolin Temple American Branch, already registered in California. Under the authority of the bylaws of this organization, Ho claims the power to use 25 wuseng for any activities. He says that the Abbot was notified, and questions the attorney's email since it lacks a signature, so he questions if it is really official.

Attorney Huang beleives that Ho's organization is established as the Shaolin Temple San Francisco Inc. He states that it is NOT Shaolin Temple American branch. There is no relationship. Any usage of Shaolin Temple without Abbot's permission cannot say it represents Shaolin Temple. If someone registered Shaolin Temple's name, such as a Shaolin restaurent or Shaolin department store, it is protected by American law, but there's no recourse or connection for Shaolin Temple. But if they claim Shaolin Temple's name, then they will take action.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
    "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
    "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
    "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Aw, damn, ain't that a B. Well, I guess it was too good to be true.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Gene has been discussing this over on KFM....

The only real false thing is the abbot stuff I guess. And well, they are prob. from a school.
      practice wu de

Comment

I remember when this event happened last year, even saw the posters for it in San Fran. I think I mentioned, somewhere in this forum, my "impressions" of the whole thing. I was suspicious, to say the least. Steve would know, he was with me at the time.

Also as I remember, Gene's magazine was writing about this event in a positive fashion. I guess one of two things has happened here.

Either Gene's magazine didn't see the bullshit, or, wouldn't aknowledge it, as most magazines that rely upon advertising revenue do, or,

Something changed in the abbot's camp.... And poor Mr. Ho and his US temple in San Francisco got screwed.

I'd like to hear more of Mr. Ho's story. Gene, for obvious reasons, and I don't blame him, won't get too critical of Yongxin. Or Yongxin's actions.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

No, this is a new thing, coming soon... not the Abbot's tour. Advertised as an "Abbot's tour, with the Abbot." But no Yong Xing.. this other guy is coming.
          practice wu de

Comment

This is such a goddamn circus. Shaolin Temple sueing someone, while trying to become more "Buddhist".

I love it.

Comment

Working...
            X