Northern Shaolin Long Fist ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Shaolin Long Fist ?

As taught by Yang Jwing-Ming.. does it bear any relation to the shaolin kung fu taught in the shaolin area? Same forms, basics or anything?

Either way, is it a good system to study and is Yang Jwing-Ming really any good or is he just good at marketing his books/dvds?

While you won't find any of the same forms, some of the basics are very, very similar.

This style was made in Nanjing in the 20s and 30s at the Kuoshu institute. It is very similar to many of the Northern styles. Dr. Yang is a very well respected shirfu in the US cma world.
    practice wu de

Comment

Originally posted by Firbolg
      As taught by Yang Jwing-Ming.. does it bear any relation to the shaolin kung fu taught in the shaolin area? Same forms, basics or anything?

Either way, is it a good system to study and is Yang Jwing-Ming really any good or is he just good at marketing his books/dvds?
      I think that his books are superb, probably the only really good martial arts books out there. But, and I might be wrong, when it comes to Shaolin history, and, various supposed Shaolin styles, I doubt that there's any real definite resource.

Other than here, of course, LOL.

No, that's my only problem with some of these books. What they say is Shaolin, is anybody's guess.

I doubt that his popularity is because of marketing maneuvers, as compared to some other masters we have heard of and discussed. Yang genuinely writes good books.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

His qi na is top notch. There are many subfamilies to this art, and there is a lot to break down what is Shaolin and what each one entales.

I posted this a while ago...

Naming the northern arts....

Well, it has been an interesting thing in the last few years, but this is how I usually talk about it.

Northern Shaolin Long Fist:
        This is like what Yang Jwing Ming teaches, among others, most of which is from the Nanjing institute.

Songshan Shaolin:
        What is the current curriculm of many of the modern day monks and such.

Bak Siu Lum:
        The southern lineage of northern shaolin.... Like what Grandmaster Wang Jack Man taught (KYC etc.)

Northern Shaolin:
        Usually meaning any or all of those, or the 5 northern families, cha, hua, hong, etc.

It gets ugly when people don't realize which lineage, or style, or system you are reffering to.
        practice wu de

Comment

A little while ago, I atteneded an introductory Yang Jwing-Ming qi na class. While he did not teach the class, it was in nyc and taught former senior student (the school this guy ran is linked in some fashion with Yang Jwing-Ming schools). The class was solid and good, the exercises, streatching and the qi na techniques that we were taught were broken down and explained in a fashion that was practicle and easy to digest.

The guy who was teaching us made no bones that this was not exclusively a "Shaolin" thing. He talked about how alot of different styles and disciplines have movements, techniques etc that are all similar. Then he goes on to say that they are teaching the program in a fashion that will work as a supplement to your own style and program. In the class we tried they had students from a bunch of different styles, the guy who taught us did tai chi and Baguazhang, one of the students did Jui jitsu.

If I can get the extra money I will take some more classes.
          Last edited by ergate; 03-08-2005, 02:44 PM. Reason: just wanted to see the *edit* marks on the bottom of my post

Comment

Yeah, I heard their qi na seminars were great too.
            practice wu de

Comment

I just started a tai chi class and the style is Chingchi. Anyone heard of this? I am slightly wary because the man I am learning it from has what seems to be a mullet tucked behind his hat and tries to be your friend more than your teacher.

While the second is acceptable because it could be his personality, His story of lineage is a bit iffy, supposedly his Chinese teacher went back to China. He could be making all this crap up, but then again, he might not be.

Perhaps on the first day, I was looking for weakness too much instead of looking for strength.

Despite all this, anyone heard of Chingchi?
              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

why the hell are you posting this here?
                practice wu de

Comment

Because I wanted more warnings. The ones I had were expiring. Heh.

Aw, shit, I can't edit my posts after I post another time in the same thread. Owned.
                  Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Lei, that's just one of them all around "home style" funny posts.

A little warning: never trust a man with a mullet who wants to be you friend.

g
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Or teach you the "real" Shaolin....

lol, oh, I hope some of you get this...
                      practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                      X