waist/abdominal strength/power, fa jing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waist/abdominal strength/power, fa jing

how is everyone ? doing well i hope. well i just wanted to know if there are any suggestions or info floating around out there on how to strenghten my waist/abdominals. From what ive learned so far, there is an emphasis on developing full body utilization for striking rather than just arms and shoulders. Any tips on developing a stronger body as a whole? i know a few static postures horse stance crane stance twist stance kneeling stance bow and arrow/rev. bow and arrow and cat stance and they have drastically improved the flowing energy in my legs. are there any static postures for the waist/abdominals or something similar which will bring me near death(joke) for an hour but make me a gazzillion times stronger? i would truly value any info given. Thank you.
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Well, static postures may be good for qi cultivation and such, as far as building up power for good fajing, I'd say work your back, abs, legs, etc. and do some plyos.. and your form a million times....

practice wu de

Comment

Do your forms in a pool, shoulder deep in the water. Use your waist to initiate all your movements. This will teach you fluidity, and the water will offer good resistance to add strength training of the core abdominal muscles to the structure you've already trained.
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Man, I used to do that all the time a while back.. I should start that up again this summer.
        practice wu de

Comment

I am going to take a bath now. A KUNG FOO bath.

But as for abdominal exercises, crunches, situps, leg lifts, V-holds, and twists are all great.
          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

listen to Dao--- water resistance is great. try doing forms in a river or stream, mid thigh to waist deep. Nothing like fighting current to develop good root.

this is the workout I use, from www.trainforstrength.com. I've been doing this for about 4 months now, I shoot for a couple times a week in addition to regular gongfu training. it's good stuff and will show you god the first few times you rip through it.

http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout2.shtml
            Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

I've always had pretty great abs myself and the key thing here is to breath properly ( as in through your lower dantien ) and practice pulling your ribs in and down while your chest stays relaxed and open to lay parellel to your hips. You can do this laying down statically, sitting, and during your stances. Spine control and flexibilty is extremely important because it dictates how well you can work your abs. If you realise that your abs are like a slab of rubber that acts like a girdle attatched from one side of you spine , wrapping around your front to come back around and reconnect to your spine at the other side, ( like this : http://www.msjensen.gen.umn.edu/weba...anterior_1.htm) and know the goal is to get that slab to pull your hips and ribs closer togethr it becomes easier to work from any direction and is many times more effective. Isomentrics ( as in tightening that girdle through contracting as you exhale and holding the contraction while you relax and continue regular breathing will not only develope physical strength in your torso but is a good start to some great iron shirt

Another good thing to do to develope strength there is when you're relaxing for a moment, get into a push up position but relax down on your elbows. Keep your back straight, draw your stomache muscles in and hold for a minute at a time. Harder than it sounds but when you get to a min at a time, try it for 2

If you really want extra points , you can flip keeping your abs drawn in and down and hip closer to ribs, press your ribs into the ground and raise yiour legs together, heels to the sky on the way up , toes to ground comming down, nailyour spine and repeat. Just try 20 or 30 or 50 at a time.

A really advanced ab strengthening exercise is to just balance on your tail bone, spine straight, sit tall out of your pelvis , raise youer legs toghether to 45 degrees ish to the ground and bring your arms out straight in front of you or linked behind your head, thumbs down your neck like you do for a crunch.

Lots of really cool stuff you can you do , but just don't neglect your external obliques ( your side muscles with twisty type movements ) or your lower back because these are all factors too.

cheers and enjoy ( insert evil laugh here )

BL
              Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 03-30-2005, 02:59 AM.

Comment

For abdominal strength, you can't really go wrong with some of Bruce Lee's workouts.

This forum talks about some of Lee's workouts, both abdominal and other muscle groups.

This page describes some good ab workouts. I personally do this most and just about everyday. I keep my legs lifted while crunching, though.

Another forum

Some Bruce Lee workouts and philosophies along with some ways to order his fitness books.

Of course there are other pages with better info, I had some, but they are on the other account.

Some people may be groaning about how cliche using Bruce Lee's workouts are. But they are great. The man rose from weak and scrawny obscurity to a powerful and built body.

Good luck and have a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus

Another good thing to do to develope strength there is when you're relaxing for a moment, get into a push up position but relax down on your elbows. Keep your back straight, draw your stomache muscles in and hold for a minute at a time. Harder than it sounds but when you get to a min at a time, try it for 2
                  Do you mean horizontal or do you mean straight diagnal to the ground?

Comment

Working...
                  X