ba gua single palm change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ba gua single palm change

hi, i was wondering if anyone out there knew the purpose of the single palm change. i think ba gua is an interesting martial art.
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Well, primarily in Baguazhang it is meant to instruct the practitioner in the movements of the particular system. There are applications to the movements, and at first only the basic apps are taught. Some Bagua Dan Huan Zhang (Single Palm Change, SPC for short) arevery simple and others are more complex. The SPC that I practice has more moves in it then some others I have seen.

If you are practicing BGZ (Baguazhang) then I suggest you do the SPC over and over till you really have it down. It's an important part of your foundations for more advanced maneuvers and will facilitate your growth in BGZ. Infact many practitioners only learn SPC and DPC (Double Palm Change) and just practice those constantly with circle walking.
    "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

what basic apps? i know the single palm change can deflect linear attacks similar to a matador and a bull, then i suppose you attack from the side or back with a throw chin na or strikes takedown etc.
      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

a single palm change, like any palm change, is just a concept. more important than the change of a palm is the change in direction of force (or potential). By using change in force vectors, you can accomplish martial applications. This is generally how bagua works, but it is a very oversimplified and generalized explanation of it. Of all the Chinese martial arts ive come across, i would recommend practicing this one without a teacher (or good partner) the least.

Comment

In most CMA, the apps are well hidden. But with BGZ, it can become a bit ridiculous. Bagua forms and movements are meant to teach you how to move, not necessarily how to fight. You need to first learn how to move your body according to the principles before you can fight with them. After you have laid a really good foundation with the movement then you are taught how to fight with it. Most BGZ styles are very systematic, and SPC is the one thing that well build a strong, strong foundation for the rest of your BGZ career.

Martial Arts is about self-discovery, you will never stop learning. It is absurd that these self-styled masters think that they can just teach because they have ten to twenty years under their belt. If you can't apply it (probably because a lack of a proper foundation) then what's the point of calling yourself a martial artist?

You can't have a second story without the first!
          "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

Comment

I kinda found an application for the spc, whilegoingcounter clockwise left hand out, you can either switch during the opponentsright side attack or swoop in with penetrating palm, useable in both directions. i also noticed from watching it being applied in combat that a ba gua person is actually circle walking and palm changing during combat! they are never truly still. applying the subtle momentum changes as you said. now all i have to do is practice to incorporate that into my techniques. thanks.

Comment

Yes, Bagua practitioner are always moving.

You are in SoCal, are you studying with anyone at the moment. If not, you really should; there are a plethra of Bagua teachers in SoCal.

My teacher is Sifu Carl Totten of the Taoist Institute in North Hollywood, which would be kind of far for someone from SD.

http://www.hsing-i.com/teachers/ This is a list of Internal MA teachers throughout the U.S. and I think some parts of Canada. It's not a complete list, I have heard of teachers that are not on it.

Comment

Working...
              X