Meaning of Shaolin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meaning of Shaolin

I was wondering does shaolin really mean new "forest"?
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Shao means few or little, as in amount.
    Xiao, pronounced differently, means small, as in size.

I always get the two confused, as you can see from my usage of them

Lin means forest or trees.

Shao Lin was an area of few forest areas, little forest, or few trees.

So much for descriptive Chinese language. Damo's Hood would have been my choice.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

lol
      shao in shaolin is one of the characters.. meaning young or small
      xiao in xiao hong chuan means little or lesser or something like that... I get confused as well.
      practice wu de

Comment

xiao=government invented
        lin=wushu

lolo

Comment

Always so cynical...

got to love it.
          practice wu de

Comment

Cynical would be xiao=little Lin=penis

Comment

Well a new forest, probably is small.
              "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Don't always take things so literally. Almost any place in the world without a forrest could be an area with few forrests.

You are correct in the literal translation of the words. However, Shao was taken from Shao Shi Shan, the Shao Shi Mountain, and Lin from the surrounding forrest. With a Buddhist Temple in this site the name Shao Lin Si fits.

Comment

shao who? damo's hood... oh yeah i know that place,oh... wait thats damu.
                  "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Looking for a professional best college essay writing service​ online? You have come to the right place.
                    As a student, time is a limited and valuable resource, and there are often many things competing for your attention.​

Comment

Working...
                    X